Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Coronavirus/COVID-19
Reload this Page >

Covid 19 - what is your personal concern threshold?

Notices
Coronavirus/COVID-19 Discussion of the novel coronavirus
View Poll Results: How concerned are you about Covid-19?
No worries - it is all media hype
9.71%
Passively watching it because it's in the headlines
17.48%
Actively watching it with focused interest
30.10%
Taking steps to assure my family and I are protected
38.83%
Dead certain it will get me as soon as it hits my county or town
3.88%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Covid 19 - what is your personal concern threshold?

Old 03-15-20, 09:27 AM
Will G

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
My level of concern is based on the fact I work in the airline industry and 75% all of my international flying has been cancelled which means the airline isn't making money which means they have too many unused jets which means they have too many pilots, flight attendants, etc. which means they could start getting rid of unneeded financial burdens like people and jets. I don't think I'd get furloughed but I could end up with a much smaller paycheck.
Likes For Will G:
Old 03-15-20, 09:43 AM
StupidlyBrave 
Chepooka

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1400 7spd; 2001 Litespeed Arenberg 10 speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 88 Posts
Likes For StupidlyBrave:
Old 03-15-20, 10:06 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2789 Post(s)
Liked 233 Times in 168 Posts
It's a bit strange around here. I just bought my favourite brand of toilet paper thursday by way of regular resupply on thursday, without even thinking about it. But the TP shelves are empty by now and also the pasta shelves are empty, except for the fancy brands and just the pasta, not rice or potatoes. But that's about it and not very strange, it was my plan to double up on spaghetti too in case staying home next week would help stop the virus from spreading and people here do grocery shopping daily or several times a week, so stores work with small stocks.
But the virus has arrived in the city on friday and now there are 11 people infected for sure, but most likely many more because they are not beeing tested. Events are cancelled, schools, sport clubs and all bars and restaurants stay closed tomorrow in the whole country. But yesterday and today it was as busy in the centre as ever. I saw two people with masks, playing chess on a sidewalk cafe, looked liked foreign students and they were the only masks I've seen. People allow a bit more personal space in waiting lines and cash payments are done by putting money on the counter instead of hand to hand, that's about it. The lack of hysteria is nice and the people of the city and the region are known for beeing down to earth, laid back and shrugging shoulders but it wouldn't be the first time people overdo that here in an unhealty way.
Old 03-15-20, 11:13 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 11858 Post(s)
Liked 3,161 Times in 1,781 Posts
For the people working from home. "Home" is where the heart is. You can take your laptop to the park and use the hotspot feature in your phone to stay connected. Just stay 6+ feet away from everyone else.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 03-15-20, 01:34 PM
Clyde1820

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by Will G View Post
My level of concern is based on the fact I work in the airline industry and 75% all of my international flying has been cancelled which means the airline isn't making money which means they have too many unused jets which means they have too many pilots, flight attendants, etc. which means they could start getting rid of unneeded financial burdens like people and jets. I don't think I'd get furloughed but I could end up with a much smaller paycheck.
^ Which pretty much sums up my major concern over all the reactions: the overall economic impact. Could be rough, if more keeps getting shut down. The cascading, downstream impacts are likely to strike a very great portion of any nation's economy, let alone the longer-term supply-chain disruptions. Immediate effects are going to be, as you point out, trimming of costs ... including staffing. Imagine this thing going on 3mos in any given economy. Let alone globally.
Old 03-15-20, 01:45 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 193 Post(s)
Quoted: 11373 Post(s)
Liked 886 Times in 692 Posts
It might give Boeing time to figure out how to actually keep their jets in the air.
Old 03-15-20, 01:46 PM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 968 Times in 643 Posts
Yup my neighbor is at their lake house about 130 miles away and they called say they are working from there. Can you feed the cats? And of course that is no problem. Having a cookout later with a few people that are either not going into work or are working from home. Crazy time right now and I don’t think anybody knows how things will end up. If we stay calm and sensible I believe everyone will come out ok. The economy well that’s always up for debate
Old 03-15-20, 01:50 PM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
It might give Boeing time to figure out how to actually keep their jets in the air.
not laughing at the lives lost but there is no way I will fly on a 737 Max. Scrap that plane already. I don’t see the flying public trusting that plane.

Last edited by Hondo Gravel; 03-15-20 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Why do you care?
Old 03-15-20, 02:49 PM
alo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick View Post
This is how some people get tricked into selling low and buying high. "Oh NO" the market tanked, I'm out!" Then, once it does go up, they buy back in.
96% of traders lose money.
Likes For alo:
Old 03-15-20, 05:12 PM
alo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 70 Posts
The smart traders are buying and selling a lot of shares now. But they don't tell us which ones.

Some companies will go bankrupt. Sell those.

Shares are cheap now. It is a good time to buy some companies.

Those with little experience should buy solid companies which will be around for decades to come.
Old 03-15-20, 07:40 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Trek 770, Trek 760, Schwinn Peloton, Patelli Professional, Othon Ochsner

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 211 Posts
If you are in anyway interested look at the up data from Dr. Otto Yang infectious disease doctor at UCLA. He lays out in serious fashion how the disease is spread and how to prevent it's transmission. Not rocket science but science based observations that work. Smiles, MH

Last edited by Mad Honk; 03-16-20 at 06:12 PM.
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 03-16-20, 12:14 AM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2398 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
The airport theory would indicate the possibility of multiple imports.

However, most, if not all, of the Seattle cases are related to a single early case that then silently spread until it was picked up as an incidental finding with the Seattle Flu Study.

Even the Grand Princess cases are likely linked to that first Seattle case.

https://komonews.com/news/coronaviru...c-fingerprints
We got 3 confirmed now, 2 with ties to local schools.
Old 03-16-20, 08:43 AM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

3 cases in San Antonio all travel related. 3 out of 2 million but that is the only known cases. This is all confusing I don’t see how it is possible to accurately know anything .
Old 03-16-20, 09:37 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Moto Fantom29 ProSL hardtail

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 528 Times in 395 Posts
I heard airlines are flying planes essentially empty, because they're locked into long-term fuel contracts, and can only store so much fuel, so their only option is to burn it
Old 03-16-20, 09:38 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by StupidlyBrave View Post
That pic is fantastic. Worth at least 1001 words.
Old 03-16-20, 11:23 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2789 Post(s)
Liked 233 Times in 168 Posts
Panic here in town yesterday. Government ordered the closing down of all schools monday, and all bars and restaurants by 6 pm and until April 6, and did that about half an hour earlier. This also includes the 'coffeeshops' which sell weed and hash, mostly for home consumption.

There are about a dozen in the city, and all had lines like that.
Old 03-16-20, 11:36 AM
skijor
on by

Bikes: Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT

Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 103 Posts
I have ~15 lbs of green coffee beans. So I'm good through the end of July. Same for TP. Good beer?...not so much.
Old 03-16-20, 12:13 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11243 Post(s)
Liked 2,830 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
You can take your laptop to the park and use the hotspot feature in your phone to stay connected.
My 27" iMac too big to lug around.

Walked to the office today but skipped the Comcast Center Food Court. Had leftover pizza instead.

Have to drive to my NJ office tomorrow for a very important closing. As of last Friday I am not supposed to go there absent exigent circumstances. They are trying to break up departments to decrease the chances of everyone in a department from getting sick.
Old 03-16-20, 03:34 PM
Will G

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
Okay, off I go to Krogers to buy items to make dog food. (Yes, we make home made dog food.) I live southwest of Fort Worth. There have been no reported cases of CV in the county and there have been no reported deaths from CV in Texas. However, the grocery store shelves are bare of most fruits and vegetables, rice and beans, and most frozen meats so my plan to make dog food was foiled by idiots. The thought that kept passing through my mind was from the movie Tropic Thunder, "You went full r3tard. Never go full r3tard."

Edited for editing by the website. Apparently, I could not write r3tard throttles or drop a ballute air r3tarded bomb.

Last edited by Will G; 03-16-20 at 03:37 PM.
Old 03-16-20, 03:37 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 11858 Post(s)
Liked 3,161 Times in 1,781 Posts
San Francisco Bay Area is under a 3+ week shelter-in-place order effective tomorrow.

Seattle will probably be next.
Old 03-16-20, 03:46 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

As of today San Diego County is 39 cases, 0 deaths. I remember hearing that the 1st case in San Diego was found 1 week ago today. I think we're doing pretty good for being a major west-coast city with significant asian population (and thus significant travel to/from affected areas)
Old 03-17-20, 10:28 AM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Originally Posted by RubeRad View Post
As of today San Diego County is 39 cases, 0 deaths. I remember hearing that the 1st case in San Diego was found 1 week ago today. I think we're doing pretty good for being a major west-coast city with significant asian population (and thus significant travel to/from affected areas)
Quite a bit better than greater Seattle
Old 03-17-20, 10:32 AM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Apparently, I could not write r3tard throttles or drop a ballute air r3tarded bomb.
Lmao . . . whut?

Sorry Joe . . . no savvy
Old 03-17-20, 12:45 PM
bikecrate

Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
I live in FL and work in a hospital. My anxiety level is right about where I feel when our city is in the probability cone of a hurricane. You keep waiting for something to happen, but hope it doesn't. Schools have been closed (ext. spring break). Mass gatherings curtailed. Most events cancelled. Every day seems like a new restriction. I wouldn't be surprised if non essential businesses are closed soon. I went to the liquor store yesterday and bought essential supplies (priorities). Shelves were fully stocked, which was a surprise. I haven't been to the grocery store yet, but expect it will have empty spots just like it does during impending hurricanes. I have a good amount of food at home, but not at my comfort level. My anxiety will go up if food that I want is in short supply at the store this week. On the other hand the street traffic is lighter. My bike ride tonight should be nice.
Old 03-17-20, 02:02 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 202 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
Testing has been and still is the one of the largest weaknesses in the U.S.’s response to the virus. Because of still limited availability, restrictions on testing and little U.S. public-health transparency it is impossible to know how many Americans are infected/spreading it and suffering from it…and btw..the U.S. is nowhere near the coordinated Europe-wide strategies in place, which, more importantly, with universal health coverage and paid leave/safety net programs makes it easier for people to go through a time like this.

I do hope this will be a good lesson for the need for the excellent funding of and having a trusted, established and quick responding infrastructure for these kinds of pandemics.
no reason to test unless you are sick (the rest is an over reaction)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.