Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Coronavirus/COVID-19
Reload this Page >

Covid 19 - what is your personal concern threshold?

Notices
Coronavirus/COVID-19 Discussion of the novel coronavirus
View Poll Results: How concerned are you about Covid-19?
No worries - it is all media hype
9.71%
Passively watching it because it's in the headlines
17.48%
Actively watching it with focused interest
30.10%
Taking steps to assure my family and I are protected
38.83%
Dead certain it will get me as soon as it hits my county or town
3.88%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Covid 19 - what is your personal concern threshold?

Old 03-17-20, 02:03 PM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite, 2007 Spec. Roubaix Elite, 2003 Spec. Big Hit 2, 1998 VooDoo Zobop, 1985 Trek 410, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 69 Posts
Went to the dump with 3+ months worth of garbage and recyclables. We compost most of our food garbage so the remainder keeps very nicely in the cold shed during the winter months!

The bummer was that the town is not accepting cardboard or paper recyclables because COVID is suspected to live on those items for 24+ hours. The employees bale this stuff by hand. So it all went into the dumpster. Plastic, metal, glass still being accepted.

Other than that.... bars, gyms, restaurants, schools, etc. are all closed indefinitely. Further restrictions will probably be announced in the next week or so.

However, went for a nice bike ride yesterday - sunny and 50*
Old 03-17-20, 02:06 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 202 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
I've changed my personal hygiene to reduce my use of TP. Ever since one of the environmental groups made a big campaign confounding "Virgin Wood" and "Virgin Forests". Nonetheless, I decided to minimize the TP that I flushed.

So I haven't bought any new TP for years.

I did buy some extra groceries, but unfortunately find myself eating them.
forget the toilet paper

we should all be wiping with poison ivy leaves 😜
Old 03-17-20, 02:08 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 202 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by Clyde1820 View Post
^ Which pretty much sums up my major concern over all the reactions: the overall economic impact. Could be rough, if more keeps getting shut down. The cascading, downstream impacts are likely to strike a very great portion of any nation's economy, let alone the longer-term supply-chain disruptions. Immediate effects are going to be, as you point out, trimming of costs ... including staffing. Imagine this thing going on 3mos in any given economy. Let alone globally.
but those making the rules in government (state federal and local) are getting paid good with good bennies and insurance too (they don’t care about us)
Old 03-17-20, 02:19 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Quoted: 11322 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 678 Posts
Originally Posted by Rajflyboy View Post
forget the toilet paper

we should all be wiping with poison ivy leaves 😜
We don't have poison ivy here, it is back east.

We do have poison oak. My exposure has dropped off over the years, and I have thought that I need to boost the immunity a bit through periodic exposure... so that sounds like an EXCELLENT IDEA!!!
Old 03-17-20, 02:28 PM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1157 Post(s)
Liked 939 Times in 626 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
We don't have poison ivy here, it is back east.

We do have poison oak. My exposure has dropped off over the years, and I have thought that I need to boost the immunity a bit through periodic exposure... so that sounds like an EXCELLENT IDEA!!!
POISON OAK that is some nasty stuff! Ya be itchin for awhile if you got that stuff on ya.
Old 03-17-20, 02:51 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 11825 Post(s)
Liked 3,136 Times in 1,768 Posts
Poison oak is much worse than poison ivy!

I knew somebody who took a leak hiking through it in January when the leaves were gone and it looked like anything else. He said his, well, you know where this is going...
Old 03-17-20, 03:02 PM
clemsongirl 

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked 1,040 Times in 326 Posts
but those making the rules in government (state federal and local) are getting paid good with good bennies and insurance too (they don’t care about us)
It’s definitely the leadership in the Federal government that hasn’t done an initial good job in responding and being transparent in this, actually a bad job, especially compared to other countries. My state/local government has thankfully done a better job despite the early federal restrictions (not allowing state’s to produce tests for it’s citizens and too little guidance and especially transparency and truth from the president and his department leadership appointments). Trump's disbanding of the NSC global health, security and bio-defense unit and his budget cuts to the CDC was probably his biggest mistake and has cost us more, than most know, in getting an early understanding and needed quick response to a pandemic.

You should be thankful for the hard working federal/state/local government employees who ARE trying to deal with this in a responsible and transparent way especially the state and local health department/policy employees!!!!!

eta...
no reason to test unless you are sick (the rest is an over reaction)
you don't seem to know much about the value of testing during a pandemic and the needed immediate progress toward preparing for and mitigating the impacts of one....early and large testing gives us an idea of the spread and makes it much easier to respond to defined areas, is very helpful in containing it and can help in lessening the social and economic disruption we are seeing now. The idea that only the sick need it is when you don't have the needed tests like the U.S. still doesn't

Last edited by clemsongirl; 03-18-20 at 12:42 AM.
Likes For clemsongirl:
Old 03-17-20, 03:20 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 102 Posts
My anxiety has quickly been ticking up these past few days. Now everything is shuttering here. I fully support the caution.

What bothers me the most is my four year old is missing 3+ weeks of daycare and school. He was really benefiting from the social interaction and learning. I know in the long run 3 weeks at home is no big deal, but it's such a critical development period, from two thru six. We're lucky we have my mother-in-law and other options on backup. Once again, I fully support this caution, just kinda took my breath away.
Likes For GrainBrain:
Old 03-17-20, 03:21 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Quoted: 11322 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 678 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel View Post
POISON OAK that is some nasty stuff! Ya be itchin for awhile if you got that stuff on ya.
Nah,
I can pick you a bouquet if you wish.
Old 03-17-20, 03:33 PM
Clyde1820

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 103 Posts
Had it from nails to noggin, once, years ago. "Ya be itchin'" doesn't even begin to describe it. Of course, when it's essentially injected via a broken poison oak branch, it's intravenous ... Well, 'nuf said, really. Not recommended.

Now, I can imagine going cycling for exercise or needed nearby travel, with this current outbreak. But with poison oak, I couldn't sleep or dress or shower properly for a couple of weeks. Nasty stuff. Beyond anything I've experienced, before or since.

Looked something like this, over ~90% or so of my skin. Everywhere, even over most of the feet, the ears, much of the scalp, and nearly everywhere else you can think of.

- photo from the internet approximating what I recall it looked like.
Old 03-18-20, 01:44 PM
Will G

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Zinger View Post
Lmao . . . whut?

Sorry Joe . . . no savvy
The act of moving throttles on an aircraft (probably most other things) is "to r3tard" them. Airbus airliners even have an automated verbal announcement that is made in the flare while landing, "R3tard, r3tard, r3tard"

Bombs that are designed to be dropped at low altitude have high drag devices like fins or ballutes (google Mk-82 with BSU-49 assembly which is a balloon/parachute device) to slow the bomb down to allow the dropping aircraft, for instance at 300 feet, to get clear of the fragmentation pattern, which goes up to 2500 feet, when the bomb explodes. A high drag bomb is also called a r3tarded bomb.
Old 03-18-20, 04:16 PM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 70 Posts
Went to the grocery store today. Not as bad as I thought. Got most of what I needed. No chicken, but some red meat, pork and turkey. No paper products at all. I'm trying to not picture desperate people wiping their butts with napkins and paper towels. So I feel a little better. Might be hard to plan some meals, but we won't starve.
Old 03-18-20, 06:02 PM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2396 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Will G View Post
The act of moving throttles on an aircraft (probably most other things) is "to r3tard" them. Airbus airliners even have an automated verbal announcement that is made in the flare while landing, "R3tard, r3tard, r3tard"

Bombs that are designed to be dropped at low altitude have high drag devices like fins or ballutes (google Mk-82 with BSU-49 assembly which is a balloon/parachute device) to slow the bomb down to allow the dropping aircraft, for instance at 300 feet, to get clear of the fragmentation pattern, which goes up to 2500 feet, when the bomb explodes. A high drag bomb is also called a r3tarded bomb.
I see.

My dad, btw, was a gunner mostly on A20s and A26s in one of the first three parafrag bomb groups in the the Pacific war: the 89th Attack Squadron, 3rd Bomb group, 5th AAF, the "Grim Reapers".. They attacked mostly Japanese airfields and ammo dumps with the parafrags throughout the Pacific and Indochina and also some anti shipping skip bombing missions which, I believe use some sort of delay on the ordinance.

Last edited by Zinger; 03-18-20 at 06:05 PM.
Old 03-18-20, 07:21 PM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 33 Posts
Strange poll choices, I have done all of them at any given time.

This is going to be a long wait, the economic fallout will be much worse than the virus.

I wish it was all fake, it isn't.

https://twitter.com/PhdParody
Old 03-19-20, 05:35 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '13 Norco CityGlide 8IGH, '12 Schwinn "Speedster" Willy SS

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 717 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by SHBR View Post

This is going to be a long wait, the economic fallout will be much worse than the virus.

Agree.

My wife still has a job at the moment, but her hours just got cut starting next week by 20%. My neighbor across the street told me last night that his business has dropped 40%.

Many of my customers are waiving me off doing work at the moment. I've been told to check back with them in 30 days.

I've had my pay cut twice in the past due to economic downturns, with paycuts being as big as 37% and as little 10%. I fully expect another paycut in the coming weeks.
Old 03-19-20, 05:53 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 102 Posts

Wow I just kept scrolling through that account wow wow wow
Old 03-19-20, 06:55 PM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Originally Posted by FiftySix View Post
Agree.

My wife still has a job at the moment, but her hours just got cut starting next week by 20%. My neighbor across the street told me last night that his business has dropped 40%.

Many of my customers are waiving me off doing work at the moment. I've been told to check back with them in 30 days.

I've had my pay cut twice in the past due to economic downturns, with paycuts being as big as 37% and as little 10%. I fully expect another paycut in the coming weeks.
I get it.

Lots of people are totally f'ed.

Gotta remember the basics, if you have your health, food, shelter, friends or family and some ideas, you still have hope.

Bicycles are awesome.
Old 03-19-20, 06:59 PM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Originally Posted by GrainBrain View Post
Wow I just kept scrolling through that account wow wow wow
There are some truly incredible Chinese people, its something I'm reminded of everyday.
Old 03-19-20, 07:25 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 11825 Post(s)
Liked 3,136 Times in 1,768 Posts

​​​​​​I disagree. And I think it's a matter of perspective. We know what's happened in Italy, with more perm who need urgent care than is available, and doctors having to make judgment calls about who gets treated and who gets left to die. While the virus kills a smallish % of those it infects, it it severe enough for hospitalization in more cases, and sooner survivors will have permenant long damage limiting their ability to exercise forever after. Although those %s aren't huge, the best minds we have tell us this will affect 40-70 % of the population. That's such a big group that small %s add up to horrific results. 325m with 70% infected ~= 228m cases ~= 2.3m dead at 1% fatality. More who lived, but have damaged lungs.

Personally I feel that 2 million lives are worth more than any amount of money.

I think everybody who loses a loved one will agree with me that there value of one human life trumps any economic consideration.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 03-19-20, 07:44 PM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
​​​​​​I disagree. And I think it's a matter of perspective. We know what's happened in Italy, with more perm who need urgent care than is available, and doctors having to make judgment calls about who gets treated and who gets left to die. While the virus kills a smallish % of those it infects, it it severe enough for hospitalization in more cases, and sooner survivors will have permenant long damage limiting their ability to exercise forever after. Although those %s aren't huge, the best minds we have tell us this will affect 40-70 % of the population. That's such a big group that small %s add up to horrific results. 325m with 70% infected ~= 228m cases ~= 2.3m dead at 1% fatality. More who lived, but have damaged lungs.

Personally I feel that 2 million lives are worth more than any amount of money.

I think everybody who loses a loved one will agree with me that there value of one human life trumps any economic consideration.
I agree, that money is worthless, compared to human life.

The hospital situation is no joke.

I'm planning to avoid them like the plague, if possible.

That said, I'm certain that this is going to get worse before it gets better.

ALL of us would be wise to try not to make a bad situation worse, by letting go of any petty disagreements.

Last edited by SHBR; 03-19-20 at 09:06 PM.
Old 03-19-20, 08:20 PM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Roman Empire their decimation policy! 1/10 of the population gone.
Old 03-19-20, 08:44 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 375 Times in 244 Posts
I have been working from home since Monday. This is a strange position for me to be in because as a prosecutor my work days are normally spent in and out the courtroom. But given my age and various health conditions I finally agreed to work from home. Then the courts closed, or were put in reduced status, so the choice to telecommute was essentially taken out of my hands.

As many of you know, I was born and raised in Cuba where shortages and panic buying (whenever and if goods were available) was a daily occurrence. So it was deja vu, all over again to quote the great Yogi, to find empty store shelves and long lines to get into store.

This is real, and while panic is not the appropriate reaction, there is a great to be concerned, very concerned.

Be strong, stay strong.

PS: With the new stay at home orders in place in California, is anyone in California going out riding? Or are we all ZWIFTING our days away.

My cat, making sure that I am diligently working.

Likes For eja_ bottecchia:
Old 03-19-20, 09:10 PM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia View Post
I have been working from home since Monday. This is a strange position for me to be in because as a prosecutor my work days are normally spent in and out the courtroom. But given my age and various health conditions I finally agreed to work from home. Then the courts closed, or were put in reduced status, so the choice to telecommute was essentially taken out of my hands.

As many of you know, I was born and raised in Cuba where shortages and panic buying (whenever and if goods were available) was a daily occurrence. So it was deja vu, all over again to quote the great Yogi, to find empty store shelves and long lines to get into store.

This is real, and while panic is not the appropriate reaction, there is a great to be concerned, very concerned.

Be strong, stay strong.

PS: With the new stay at home orders in place in California, is anyone in California going out riding? Or are we all ZWIFTING our days away.

My cat, making sure that I am diligently working.

I’m not saying I know because I don’t know. I took a college field trip into Mexico way back in 1991 and my snarky punk azz saw real poverty.Changed my life forever. I realized I won the lotto be born an American.
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 03-19-20, 09:11 PM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

The picture of the cat (Yogi?), sums up this situation perfectly.
Likes For SHBR:
Old 03-19-20, 09:30 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 375 Times in 244 Posts
I’m not saying I know because I don’t know. I took a college field trip into Mexico way back in 1991 and my snarky punk azz saw real poverty.Changed my life forever. I realized I won the lotto be born an American.
Interesting point. My wife was born and raised in Mexico. While they were poor, she never experienced the shortages that I experienced growing up in Cuba, or that we are experiencing now.

in her case, the store shelves were stocked full, it was a question of being able to afford what you needed.

Now it is the reverse, we can afford the goods, there are just none to be had.

Challenging times.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.