Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

What sort of stem do i need to mimic this?

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

What sort of stem do i need to mimic this?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-19, 07:41 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
That was quick. Your best bet for a bike that fits is probably custom. Now your bike is relevant. A photo of you on the bike is still best, but the make, model, and measurements and a photo of the bike itself will help somewhat.

I'm a C&V guy. With a C&V bike, moving your seat/saddle up and getting something like a Nitto Technomic stemwould probably do what you need. If you've got a modern bike, I'm lost.
Likes For philbob57:
Old 07-04-19, 09:17 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by nivalu
i definitely need better tools. i've gotten by with my multitools and a couple of non bike specific wrenches for a couple of decades, but i need 'full size' tools too. when i got my seat fixed i bought the tool they used to do it, but i just swapped pedals the other day and my wrenches were too 'thick' to help, so i had to go back to an lbs.

i will be ordering a pedal wrench soon.

i bought some very large flat pedals and they seem to be a lot more comfortable--plus i dont have to keep fidgeting with or flipping the old spd pedals and i can wear regular shoes.

i had more hand and 'crotch' discomfort yesterday than i have in quite some time, and i was constantly having to scoot back, so i moved the saddle forward a little.

despite all of that, i had the fastest ride ever which is huge for my morale--it sucks being markedly slower than anyone else. im guessing the better pedals made the difference.

i don't keep full body mirrors in the house (i am obese) but i will figure out a way to follow your instructions sometime soon.
Photos sounds good. We don't need to seem them. You know what to do.
Old 07-27-19, 01:39 PM
nivalu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Just didn't want to do the newbie-abandoning-without-update thing. I appreciate everyone's help. I haven't ridden outside in a few weeks, because my hand numbness made things really bad and I was not confident with my ability to use the brakes when needed. I mostly ride on a very crowded MUP and there is just too much risk. My hands would go numb and stay that way by about 20 minutes or less into the ride. I'd try to move my fingers around but that wouldnt help. Gloves would quickly make me feel like my fingers were being twisted off, no matter the size I tried, so that didn't help.

I've ridden on the indoor bike more than i have in years. After a couple of hours my hands are also numb there, but I have more freedom to adjust as needed and so far I haven't run over anyone or anything

I hated giving up, but I am dependent on my cycling for weight loss and so I needed to be able to focus on riding long. I tried a ton of adjustments but nothing helped with comfort.

I know a big part of this is also my size and core/arm weakness, so perhaps in a year or so I will revisit.

Thanks and Ride on!