Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

My Favorite Cruiser

Search
Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

My Favorite Cruiser

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-19, 09:02 AM
OldCruiser

Bikes: Most of my bikes are Single Speed Conversions

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 3,067 Times in 1,015 Posts
My Favorite Cruiser

My favorite Cruiser is my first Electra Cruiser 1 . It’s gone through a few changes , but it’s still just a single speed Cruiser 1 .
I ride for cardio exercise and for pleasure. Exercise should be something you like doing , that way you’ll do it more .
I don’t own a bike that’s more pleasurable riding than my black C1 .
This morning I rode eight miles on my C1 . To town hall and back and around the neighborhood.
I rode up hills , without getting out of my seat , that would have made me drop down into a granny gear on one off my multi-speed bikes .
My knees and legs feel better today after my ride than they did yesterday after riding only 6.5 miles .
I own two C1’s , this six year old black one , and my newer matte Brown one .
And if Electra would ever offer

the men’s C1 in a yellow, red, dark blue , or white , preferably with chrome components, I’d buy another one .
Likes For OldCruiser:
Old 09-27-19, 07:08 PM
JehD

Bikes: 1981 Bertin C34 - 2020 Electra Cruiser 7D - 2021 Mongoose Dolomite ALX

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 86 Posts
It’s funny you wrote this. I was just going to ask you now that you’ve had you fat tire Cruiser for a month how has it stacked up?

I picked up a slightly neglected Giant Cypress DX for $25 at the local goodwill, cleaned it up and replaced the tires, tubes and rim strips to ride around on but due to my arthritis I can’t ride leaning forward. I can raise the seat and pull the bars back to be in an upright posture but I’m just not liking it. It rides smoothly, shifts well but even with the suspension fork and suspension seat post which may need replacing due to some wear I’m just not liking the positioning and am missing my cruisers positioning.

So I’m debating on getting a Cruiser 7 or the fat tire Lux.
I like the steel frame as my old cruiser just rode so nice..steel is real but I love the look of the fat tires and the disc brakes.

If you only had one bike which one would you want? I tend to think fro your comment a plain cruiser in a different color. That said how do you think after a month is the fat tire a keeper?
Old 09-27-19, 08:28 PM
OldCruiser

Originally Posted by JehD
It’s funny you wrote this. I was just going to ask you now that you’ve had you fat tire Cruiser for a month how has it stacked up?

If you only had one bike which one would you want? I tend to think fro your comment a plain cruiser in a different color. That said how do you think after a month is the fat tire a keeper?
One bike ! Wow ! If I could only have one , it would be a single speed Cruiser .I like the simplicity and the feel of pedaling a single speed . I like how quiet it coasts . With the Maxxis Hookworms, the C1 probably weighs close to what the Fat Tire bike does .
I still love the fat tire , probably more than the Specialized Roll .
But I’d hate to think I could only have one . Life’s too short .

Last edited by OldCruiser; 09-27-19 at 08:51 PM.
Old 09-28-19, 07:02 AM
Doogan

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That's a great looking bike . What pedals are you using? Also, how did you connect the bottle holder to the frame?
Old 09-28-19, 07:18 AM
OldCruiser

Originally Posted by Doogan
That's a great looking bike . What pedals are you using? Also, how did you connect the bottle holder to the frame?
Thanks !
Pedals are 1/2” Wellgo pedals from Amazon . Wish they were 9/16th , then they’d be a set of Rock Bros platform pedal . I may change them out with a set of adapters , that would move the pedals out about 1/2” which would put them better under my wide feet and keep my sandals from slapping the frame when I ride.
The bottle cage is mounted using a no drill Topeak cagemount . They hold pretty good .
I've been think of buying a set of custom red anodized aluminum wheels with silver spokes and a Shimano Single speed hub .

Last edited by OldCruiser; 09-28-19 at 07:24 AM.
Old 09-28-19, 11:13 PM
JehD

Well it looks like my decision has been made for me. It was a real tossup between the Fat tire and the base 7D and the Fattie is NLA for this year. I really like the feel of steel and with the $300 difference in the price tag I can splurge on a few accessories and still come in a good $125 less than the fattie.
Old 09-29-19, 04:30 AM
OldCruiser

Well it looks like my decision has been made for me. It was a real tossup between the Fat tire and the base 7D and the Fattie is NLA for this year. I really like the feel of steel and with the $300 difference in the price tag I can splurge on a few accessories and still come in a good $125 less than the fattie.
Good choice !
I often think if the 7d may have been a better choice for me also . Although I enjoy riding the fattie , I think a 7d customized like my C1 would have been “more rideable” or maybe a better descriptive word would be more “ maneuverable” .
Comparing the two is like comparing a sports car to a jacked up four wheel drive pickup . Both are fun to drive , it’s just what experience you’re looking for .
One thing about the fattie that needs upgrading and the 7d may need it also , is the shifter or maybe even the derailleur. Sometimes it doesn’t shift smoothly. I have to feather the shifter to get it to engage the next gear whether going up or down . I think s trigger shifter would eliminate the issue . I’ve tried to adjust the cable but it doesn’t eliminate the issue .
Old 09-29-19, 07:45 AM
JehD

Originally Posted by kirby999
Good choice !
I often think if the 7d may have been a better choice for me also . Although I enjoy riding the fattie , I think a 7d customized like my C1 would have been “more rideable” or maybe a better descriptive word would be more “ maneuverable” .
Comparing the two is like comparing a sports car to a jacked up four wheel drive pickup . Both are fun to drive , it’s just what experience you’re looking for .
One thing about the fattie that needs upgrading and the 7d may need it also , is the shifter or maybe even the derailleur. Sometimes it doesn’t shift smoothly. I have to feather the shifter to get it to engage the next gear whether going up or down . I think s trigger shifter would eliminate the issue . I’ve tried to adjust the cable but it doesn’t eliminate the issue .
I prefer a rapid fire as well. Im going to order mine through the local Trek store and the last bikes Ive bought have gotten 30-60-90 day tuneups for free so If I have issues I can pawn it off on them.
Worst case a rapid fire shifter is only $25-30 and easy enough to replace.
Old 09-29-19, 12:15 PM
OldCruiser

I prefer a rapid fire as well. Im going to order mine through the local Trek store and the last bikes Ive bought have gotten 30-60-90 day tuneups for free so If I have issues I can pawn it off on them.
Worst case a rapid fire shifter is only $25-30 and easy enough to replace.
I ordered my C1’s through REI and was offered a tuneup before six months were up . Not much to tuneup on a single speed .
I ordered the Fat Tire Cruiser through Trek Atlanta, that owns three shops , one of them locally. When I picked it up they acted like I’d done them wrong by ordering online . Didn’t offer me anything except to help me load it up . Tried to charge me for the bike at regular price until I told them to check on that, because I’d already paid in full with my credit card .
Going try the next closest Trek shop if I buy another even though it’s a 30 minute drive .
Old 09-29-19, 01:28 PM
OldCruiser

I ordered a set of custom wheels for my Black C1 today . Anodized red aluminum wheels , silver spokes , with a silver Shimano 110 coaster brake hub . Also ordered a pair of Schwalbe Fat Franks , black reflective tires .
The Maxxis will be going on a mountain bike I’m turning into a Cruiser.
The wheels off the C1 will be going on my old Schwinn Heavy duty with a set of Kenda city slick tires .
Thinking of putting the cream Kendas back on the matte bark C1 . I liked the look .
I enjoy working on my bikes as much as I do riding them .
Old 09-29-19, 01:32 PM
JehD

Originally Posted by kirby999
I ordered the Fat Tire Cruiser through Trek Atlanta, that owns three shops , one of them locally. When I picked it up they acted like I’d done them wrong by ordering online . Didn’t offer me anything except to help me load it up . Tried to charge me for the bike at regular price until I told them to check.
Thats odd. The last time I got a bike they ordered it for me to try with no obligation since it was under $1000.

I have a superstore near me 35 miles away and I was just going to order it from their website to same myself the trip I’m or even the phone call.

I’ve bought 3 bikes over the years and they’ve always treated me well.

I’ll see. I can order it from REI at the same price though a little further away.

Still not a lot to go wrong with it as it’s a pretty simple bike Hopefully have my order in a couple of days and I’ll post some pics when all the stuff shows up.
Old 09-29-19, 01:41 PM
OldCruiser

I think it’s just this particular Trek store . I’ve been in there a couple of times and as soon as I mention I like Cruisers , they find somebody else to help . Their loss .
Ive been trying to get down to the Trek store that’s 30 minutes away and see how those folks are .
Atlanta Trek have three super stores on the south side . I’ve got two more to choose from .
I like REI , it’s just that they are limited in the models they carry and they’re over an hour away .