Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

Holiday Bicycle Decorating

Search
Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Holiday Bicycle Decorating

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-19, 09:50 AM
oldgalcruising

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Holiday Bicycle Decorating

Hello, new to this forum. In fact, at age 72, I'm fairly new to biking.
This forum has helped with many questions I have had about my bike. I have tried to read as much as I can - even the technical stuff which I hope to understand more clearly in the future.

Here's a silly question: Do any of you decorate your bikes and/or participate in a Christmas bike parade? If so, can you share pictures here?
Old 11-20-19, 10:49 AM
brdeleo49

Bikes: Electra Cruiser 7D, Dahon Boardwalk, Sundeal F1

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Welcome to you. Post some more questions or thoughts so you too can post pics after the "required" ten posts....
Old 11-20-19, 04:25 PM
OldCruiser

Bikes: Most of my bikes are Single Speed Conversions

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 3,067 Times in 1,015 Posts
Sounds like fun . Wish we had something like that around here .
Old 11-20-19, 07:50 PM
oldgalcruising

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, dear! I wrote an entire reply and it went into the Great Internet Black Hole in the Sky. I'll try once again.

Here's a little background on why I've come to this forum. About 4 months ago, someone just down the street from my house left an old cruiser bike in the gutter. It appeared to be in almost perfect condition. I walked it home, had my neighbor add more air to the tires, and fell in love with cruising.
HOWEVER, despite the fact that my strength and stamina have improved weekly, I know I will never be at a level that allows me to go very far from my immediate neighborhood. Lengthly inclines, no matter how gentle, eventually require that I get off and walk the bike to the top. I don't even have the strength to lift the bike up on a bike rack. So, I will eventually be in the market for something lighter than the one thousand pound baby that I now own.

In additions, I have a bad back that can flare up at any time for seemingly no reason. So, despite the fact that there are many lightweight bikes on the market, I find the position at which I must ride to be unacceptable. (You know where I'm going with this by now.) After a couple of google searches, I was steered here. I have read the posts concerning altering light weight bikes with great interest. So, to summerize:

1. I'm willing to spend more than a few bucks to reduce the weight.(I think I am at about 35 lbs. right now. I can pick up the back end or I can pick up the front end, but I can't pick the entire bike up and lift it more that about 12 to 14 inches off the ground before the front starts twirling around and "taking over.").
2. A few gears would be great. I'm sure I could learn how to properly use the gears to get myself up the more hilly areas around my town.
3. Sitting upright is very important to me. From what I have read on the forum so far, switching out handlebars may be required.
4. A step through would be nice, but not completely necessary if the above 3 criteria are met.
And finally . .
5. I adore the nostalgic look of a cruiser. Let's face it, an old heart looks lovingly upon that which reminds it of days gone by. So maintaining the cruiser look would be the icing on the cake.

At any rate, I am open for any and all suggestions that might get me closer to the Ultimate Old Lady bike.

Thanks in advance.

Oh, thanks for the heads-up concerning the posting of pictures. Please don't hesitate to instruct me concerning any rules I may have overlooked.

Last edited by oldgalcruising; 11-20-19 at 08:00 PM.
Old 11-24-19, 10:43 PM
JehD

Bikes: 1981 Bertin C34 - 2020 Electra Cruiser 7D - 2021 Mongoose Dolomite ALX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 86 Posts
Welcome aboard. Not knowing what kind of bike you have it’s tough to recommend any upgrades.

while only in my 50s Arthritus has destroyed my knees and so I really like a few gears and my shoulders and wrists won’t take leaning over either so I’m back to the bike I had as a kid. The good old cruiser.

That said if you are enjoying the riding experience but need would like a few gears and a step over frame for the cost of converting your bike to a multi speed you might be able to get a new replacement bike from Walmart or Target That fulfills those needs. I’ve seen Huffys and Schwinns at my local Walmart with 7 spds and a step over frame in the $100-$130 range and with the holidays and sales combing up it’s probably a good time to look.

hope that helps.
Old 11-25-19, 11:24 AM
brdeleo49

Bikes: Electra Cruiser 7D, Dahon Boardwalk, Sundeal F1

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
You might check out the Specialized Roll "Low Entry", and have your LBS change the bars to a beach cruiser type to give you a more upright position. The Electra Beach Cruisers are also an option for you. I hope you find your ideal bike to enjoy....