Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Leaving Netflix, Joining Amazon Prime

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Old 12-07-19, 12:32 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX, 5200 & 7700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 88 Posts

It seems that with Netflix, original theatrical movies are becoming more scarce. I usually check the programming at the beginning of each month and most of the movies that are being released I'm not too interested in. I'm also not a fan of Netflix generated programming. I've seen a few of their specials but it's still not enough to keep me interested. Since the wife and I don't go out and see a lot of movies I really rely on seeing them online. Unfortunately, Netflix seems to be moving away from this service and showing their own original content.

I've decided to switch over to Amazon Prime. Not only do I get the movies, I get music and free 2 day shipping on many items.
Old 12-07-19, 12:53 PM
wgscott
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 307 Times in 193 Posts
Be aware that a lot of their content will require additional payment.
Old 12-07-19, 02:13 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 9733 Post(s)
Liked 1,171 Times in 702 Posts
Amazon can't deliver much on time, at least here.

I changed to Sprint service because of work, Prime is included. FYI.
Old 12-07-19, 03:36 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3402 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 177 Posts
Amazon is OK, if you consider its bundled with Prime. Nevertheless, its listings (although growing), is still significantly less than Netflix.

As mentioned, the biggest growing issue with all of these streaming services is the need for customers to pay extra to watch many of their content -- In many cases, a subscription within a subscription. And all that on top of your already prohibitively expensive cable bill.

I usually cancel them after I've watched all of their content that interest. Continuing to pay monthly just to watch one or two new shows every now and then (that may not even appeal to you) just isn't worth the cost.
Likes For KraneXL:
Old 12-07-19, 05:05 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 3173 Post(s)
Liked 525 Times in 374 Posts
I discontinued my Amazon Prime subscription last year after too many unsatisfactory deliveries. But the first half of 2019 delivery improved dramatically. I re-upped on a monthly basis just to see how it goes. So far, so good.

Prime movies and TV are hit or miss. Sometimes good movies are scarce and they don't add enough new stuff. But I mostly watch movies and TV series during indoor trainer workouts, rarely just sitting on the sofa. So there's usually a TV series I want to binge watch, so it's worth it for that. Last year while recovering from injuries and illness I mostly used the indoor trainer and binged all of Hannibal, Orphan Black and The Expanse. My usual rule was to watch an episode only while on the trainer. Good motivation if the series is good. American Horror Story has been hit or miss. Season 1 sucked but I'm hooked in Season 2/Asylum.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 12-07-19, 10:57 PM
Seattle Forrest

Amazon has Dirtbag. I've been wanting to see that one since he was alive.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 12-07-19, 11:03 PM
wgscott
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
Amazon has Dirtbag. I've been wanting to see that one since he was alive.
Thanks. I am going to watch that as soon as my wife stops watching the PBS pledge drive. So, probably around March.
Likes For wgscott:
Old 12-07-19, 11:18 PM
Seattle Forrest

I hope she gets a great tote bag!
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 12-08-19, 12:16 AM
Hondo Gravel
The Price Is Wrong

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 737 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 214 Posts
I have Amazon Prime and they deliver in 2 days most of the time. I order enough stuff to make it cost effective.
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 12-08-19, 03:10 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3402 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 177 Posts
Amazon has been using USPS a lot more lately and they suck. Leaving my packages downstairs at the mailboxes rather than bringing to the door.

I noticed a box sitting on top of the mail boxes and glanced at the name. Turned out, it was mine. When I order through Amazon I expect door delivery since that's what I pay for.

If the package is scheduled to be deliver on the weekends USPS won't deliver if they can't immediately get into the building. Marking it -- Unable to Deliver. The other delivery service never seems to have that problem, even on Sunday.
Old 12-08-19, 04:14 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1763 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 196 Posts
Somebody somewhere HAS to have written a country song about this.
Old 12-08-19, 04:52 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 7314 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 228 Posts
The sad part is... the Netflix UI is so so much better...

And yes, sometimes you do have to pay for content you want... but frankly, "similar to," is just not good enough... when you really want to see some specific movie...

And "available on DVD" just doesn't cut it, when you have a layover in some city... my tiny phone still doesn't take DVDs.
Old 12-08-19, 05:32 AM
genec
genec

Ahhh... "Cave Women on Mars..."
Old 12-08-19, 05:39 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Put the little radio in a zipper bag and carefully poke a hole to hang it on the handlebars and bingo. I do have a fairing and vintage Pioneer Supertuner cassette deck but that's a little on the heavy side.

Last edited by Rollfast; 12-08-19 at 05:43 AM.
Old 12-08-19, 07:20 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by Rollfast View Post
Put the little radio in a zipper bag and carefully poke a hole to hang it on the handlebars and bingo. I do have a fairing and vintage Pioneer Supertuner cassette deck but that's a little on the heavy side.
Back in the early '80s I did a bike tour of the length of Baja... with a walkman... I think I had 3 90 minute mix tape cassettes, which I listened to over and over again... Always tried to cue up "Ain't no Mountain High Enough," somewhere in a steep climb.

The biggest hassle wasn't weight, but trying to find good AA batteries out in these little towns along the way. Even if the store had them, there was no guarantee they had not "aged out." This was back in the primitive battery days of silver Ray-o-Vac batteries.

I wonder how someone would keep a phone charged on a remote trip like that... it wasn't as if there were AC outlets at every stop.

I know years later, when I got my first Kodak digital camera, I made sure it also took AA batteries... and later my first MP3 player... AA batteries... I sort of figured those were available in just about any location.

Today, with odd rechargeable batteries in everything, I suppose a small solar charger might be a key item.

Since I was carrying so much other touring gear... the walkman and a couple sets of batteries were nothing. The big key was the right mix of music. A good cadence beat was required.

Last edited by genec; 12-08-19 at 07:27 AM.
Old 12-08-19, 11:32 AM
TakingMyTime

Originally Posted by wgscott View Post
Be aware that a lot of their content will require additional payment.
I did notice that. I just signed up yesterday and I think about 1 out of the 20 movies I wanted to put on my watch list required additional payment. I'm not doing that. To be honest, being able to find 20 movies that i wanted to see far outstrips what I was being fed from Netflix. The 20 movies I found were just from a cursory browse, I'm sure there are at least 50 more. The wife and I are not into any Original Content or something that we need to watch a Season of. We are in it for the movies and due to our schedule we are able to digest about 2 movies a week. I can tell you for a fact that after having NF for about 7 years there are not 20 movies they are presenting that I would want to watch. It was getting to the point where a month or 2 might go by before a new movie appeared.

It was time for a change. If circumstances change we can always switch back.
Old 12-08-19, 11:36 AM
TakingMyTime

Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
Prime movies and TV are hit or miss. Sometimes good movies are scarce and they don't add enough new stuff.
That's my main complaint about NF. They would have a "Just Released" section and I would be thinking "I watched that on NF 2 years ago".
Old 12-08-19, 12:38 PM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by TakingMyTime View Post
I did notice that. I just signed up yesterday and I think about 1 out of the 20 movies I wanted to put on my watch list required additional payment. I'm not doing that. To be honest, being able to find 20 movies that i wanted to see far outstrips what I was being fed from Netflix. The 20 movies I found were just from a cursory browse, I'm sure there are at least 50 more. The wife and I are not into any Original Content or something that we need to watch a Season of. We are in it for the movies and due to our schedule we are able to digest about 2 movies a week. I can tell you for a fact that after having NF for about 7 years there are not 20 movies they are presenting that I would want to watch. It was getting to the point where a month or 2 might go by before a new movie appeared.

It was time for a change. If circumstances change we can always switch back.
Yeah, NF seems to be offering a lot of TV content that was on a few years go... If I didn't watch it then, I probably don't want to watch it now... Although, I do admit to binge watching NCIS... oddly it wasn't worth my time back then... these days I am brain dead tired after work and NCIS fit's that bill just fine. "braindead."
Old 12-08-19, 01:09 PM
wgscott
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
I hope she gets a great tote bag!
I watched it last night. It is pretty good (and I don't climb).

Oh, and speaking of 'dirtbags': https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/29/s...ind-death.html

Last edited by wgscott; 12-08-19 at 01:21 PM.
Likes For wgscott:
Old 12-08-19, 01:23 PM
wgscott
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by genec View Post
How do I turn off autoplay previews?
Old 12-08-19, 01:44 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 3173 Post(s)
Liked 525 Times in 374 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL View Post
Amazon has been using USPS a lot more lately and they suck. Leaving my packages downstairs at the mailboxes rather than bringing to the door.

I noticed a box sitting on top of the mail boxes and glanced at the name. Turned out, it was mine. When I order through Amazon I expect door delivery since that's what I pay for.

If the package is scheduled to be deliver on the weekends USPS won't deliver if they can't immediately get into the building. Marking it -- Unable to Deliver. The other delivery service never seems to have that problem, even on Sunday.
That's always a local problem, not USPS policy. Call or write the local postmaster about package delivery problems.

Don't expect a quick resolution. We had this problem several years ago with a previous generation of letter carriers. It took a few years to resolve.

It was a combination of permanent letter carriers basically doing an on-the-job strike, working as little as possible while on the clock, to protest conditions that deteriorated due to Congressional interference. And temps who were undertrained and overworked.

USPS service deteriorated nationwide after Congress mandated pre-funding of the post office retirement account, putting them in the red several billion dollars. The post office had a difficult transition period, scrambling to be competitive with other private carriers that didn't have Congressional oversight/interference. Keep in mind the USPS is a private entity but regulated by the federal government, so it's a peculiar business hierarchy that can be slow to evolve. It's done much better in most areas the past couple of years.

Back then, around 2012, the letter carriers often failed to deliver packages to our apartments, or falsified delivery attempt claims. This was a big problem for some elderly and disabled folks. One of them complained incessantly but sounded like a crank so eventually the Post Office ignored him. I picked up after that and phoned the ombudsman in Washington DC and local postmaster. Took awhile but they replaced the letter carrier for our route.

For the past 2-3 years we've had very good delivery service from the post office. Usually better than Amazon Prime 2-day and same day delivery. The Amazon delivery folks can't seem to find the front door to our apartment complex so I usually need to walk outside to meet them in the parking lot. The USPS, UPS and FedEx don't have that problem. Our permanent letter carrier always knocks on the door to hand deliver packages. When a temp fills in they'll knock and leave the package at the door. We don't seem to have much problem with package theft here now so that's okay. We did have a problem with theft several years ago but that was due to one resident, an ex-con who let his lowlife buddies inside at night. He's since been evicted.
Old 12-08-19, 02:42 PM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by wgscott View Post
How do I turn off autoplay previews?
find settings... drove me nuts too.
Old 12-08-19, 02:56 PM
skijor
on by

Bikes: Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 621 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 43 Posts
find settings... drove me nuts too.
Tell me it's possible now! I've been off NF for a year+. Their menu system sucks. But autoplay is absolute bs.
Old 12-08-19, 03:00 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

I never have this problem. Football is on channels 2, 9 and then 7.
Old 12-08-19, 03:06 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Quoted: 4319 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 138 Posts
On my Sony, the Netflix app is super glitchy. On my Visio it is better than AMZ, tho.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.