Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

My usual rant about wireless headphones... next level.

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

My usual rant about wireless headphones... next level.

Old 12-08-19, 12:31 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7341 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 238 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton View Post
It's traditional for Apple fans to gripe about losing the audio jack but (not a great Apple fan) they got that right as far as I'm concerned.

I'll grant that I like the port for the ubiquitous USB charging. But when wireless charging also becomes ubiquitous I won't miss it, and I have no use for an audio jack. No ports at all would be outstanding.

You know, the "slab of glass" is not only environmentally sealed but also stronger - every hole you cut in it creates a stress riser point. It's pretty much all upside as far as I can tell.

edit: I'd like to point out to Genec that there's no overwhelming technical reason that the wireless earbud receiver has to be near your head, if you don't mind wires going from the receiver to the speakers. Don't tell me that it defeats the purpose - all of the stereo earbuds that I've seen still have wires between them.
While your point is true... why bother with yet another interface if you are going to have wires. Just plug em right into the phone. Oh and as if Bluetooth was "receive only.." there is bidirectional handshaking going on... especially if you use those buds for phone calls too. 2.4 GHz right in your head... slowly frying those brain cells... But hey... no sign of long term damage... YET.* The wireless stereo earbuds do not have wires between them. Look again. Just radio signals "tying them together."

*How long did it take before we admitted DDT was bad, smoking was bad, agent Orange was bad, color TVs emitted Xrays, analog cell phone use might cause harm, lead in gas is bad, and your deodorant was hurting the ozone layer... but hey, here's a little microwave oven you can insert into your head for 4 hours a day... and then recharge and do it some more.... Go for it folks. I don't even hold my digital cell phone to my head.
Old 12-08-19, 01:19 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 2679 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by genec View Post
While your point is true... why bother with yet another interface if you are going to have wires. Just plug em right into the phone. Oh and as if Bluetooth was "receive only.." there is bidirectional handshaking going on... especially if you use those buds for phone calls too. 2.4 GHz right in your head... slowly frying those brain cells... But hey... no sign of long term damage... YET.* The wireless stereo earbuds do not have wires between them. Look again. Just radio signals "tying them together."
Sure they have wires:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0716JMTW8
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073VKWD8Y
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R262DWI
that I've used.

If someone is concerned about the receiver (and transmitter, it goes without saying) next to his ear, there could easily be another wire dangling down to the transceiver. If the audio quality is good enough (audiophile is another discussion) it wouldn't be any more inconvenient than what you prefer right now. With at least one advantage, in that inadvertently yanking the wire won't endanger your expensive phone.
Old 12-08-19, 01:27 PM
clemsongirl 

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 189 Posts
“guess I'm just not one of the cool kids”
Your cool vs nerd fits well with your ‘style’ belittling of those who don’t feel the same way about tech advances as you do……using your terms are you sure you’re not a dork instead of a nerd….a silly, out-of-touch person who tends to look odd or behave ridiculously around others?

btw if you actually knew the biochemistry science you’d worry more about acoustic neuroma tumors from the loudness of wired or wireless headsets than my AirPod pro’s non-ionizing radiofrequency radiation.
Old 12-08-19, 02:40 PM
genec
genec

Sure they have wires:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0716JMTW8
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073VKWD8Y
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R262DWI
that I've used.

If someone is concerned about the receiver (and transmitter, it goes without saying) next to his ear, there could easily be another wire dangling down to the transceiver. If the audio quality is good enough (audiophile is another discussion) it wouldn't be any more inconvenient than what you prefer right now. With at least one advantage, in that inadvertently yanking the wire won't endanger your expensive phone.

Gee... no wires... https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wha...et-and-premium
Old 12-08-19, 02:55 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1766 Post(s)
Liked 226 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
“guess I'm just not one of the cool kids”
Your cool vs nerd fits well with your ‘style’ belittling of those who don’t feel the same way about tech advances as you do……using your terms are you sure you’re not a dork instead of a nerd….a silly, out-of-touch person who tends to look odd or behave ridiculously around others?

btw if you actually knew the biochemistry science you’d worry more about acoustic neuroma tumors from the loudness of wired or wireless headsets than my AirPod pro’s non-ionizing radiofrequency radiation.

Joe knows.
Old 12-08-19, 06:35 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 2679 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Gee, I guess if you're forced to buy wireless earbuds that you hate, that don't have any of the wires that you don't mind, and you want to pay ten times for it, you've found your product!

If you want to come back to the real world conversation though, since wireless earbuds have wires already (only the vast majority, obviously), there's not much impediment to dangling another one for the transceiver. If anyone actually wanted that. You don't see it because people don't particularly care about a small amount of EM energy near their ears.
Old 12-08-19, 06:37 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

I'll have you know there is nothing up here to malign anyway.
Old 12-08-19, 11:15 PM
genec
genec

Gee, I guess if you're forced to buy wireless earbuds that you hate, that don't have any of the wires that you don't mind, and you want to pay ten times for it, you've found your product!

If you want to come back to the real world conversation though, since wireless earbuds have wires already (only the vast majority, obviously), there's not much impediment to dangling another one for the transceiver. If anyone actually wanted that. You don't see it because people don't particularly care about a small amount of EM energy near their ears.

And hey... wired headphones are even cheaper, never require recharging, and deliver better audio quality... so tell me again why I should buy wireless headphones, at any price, THAT ACTUALLY HAVE WIRES... or some EXTRA interface module, WIRED to them?

Oh yeah... that's right. Some phones have removed our option to go wired... so we have to go WIRED, in another way.

Comes down to this: "Put the jack back, Jack."

Last edited by genec; 12-08-19 at 11:21 PM.
Old 12-08-19, 11:50 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 9777 Post(s)
Liked 1,218 Times in 726 Posts
You'd use wireless ones because they're less obtrusive, to wear and to carry. They don't get hooked on things. The audio quality is absolutely fine unless you're the princess sleeping on the pea. Anyway, audio quality depends on a number of factors and a dangling wire is down the list.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 12-09-19, 12:29 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
You'd use wireless ones because they're less obtrusive, to wear and to carry. They don't get hooked on things. The audio quality is absolutely fine unless you're the princess sleeping on the pea. Anyway, audio quality depends on a number of factors and a dangling wire is down the list.
Less obtrusive to carry? Don't you have to carry a charger ALSO? Or are your earbuds solar powered?

That IS the basis of my rant in the OP... to make all this "wireless" stuff work, you end up carrying a lot more stuff... charger for the buds, large "plate" to charge the phone, interface device(s) to connect to other non wireless devices... all this other paraphernalia to avoid wires... and the poster a few posts up from this STILL HAD WIRES on his "wireless" buds.

Yeah, the concept of a clean, sealed, glass device is cool... the reality... not much so much... even clemsongirl admitted having to carry a wireless charger... which is physically larger than a simple wall wart and wire.

All these chargers are both physically larger, and slower than the basic Cube and Lightning cable.

Yup, concept is cool, reality bites.
Old 12-09-19, 12:41 AM
Seattle Forrest

No you don't have to carry a charger also. They have batteries. After you going to be in the gym for more than 12 hours?
Old 12-09-19, 01:08 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
No you don't have to carry a charger also. They have batteries. After you going to be in the gym for more than 12 hours?
LOL, I don't go to "the gym." I ride a bike.

So, never been on a 16 hour flight to China, eh? Never worked a 10+ hour shift to meet deadlines in a noisy office... I understand that new ibuds (or whatever they call them) can go 24 hours on a full charge... new ones, that is... two years from now???

Never rode your Peloton in a 24 hour endurance event?
(you can lose 4 pounds)
Old 12-09-19, 03:58 AM
genec
genec

Uh, in the intrest of full disclosure... that 24 hour airpod use time mentioned in the post above... is ONLY when the user reruns the charge cycle in the airpod case after the little things only actually run for 3-4.5 hours.

Folks, I've been on bike rides longer that, work hous in the office longer than that. Looks like you DO have to carry "something else" along to get your airpods to even do a half day.
Here's what you can expect with AirPods Pro:
  • With multiple charges in your case, you get more than 24 hours of listening time,7 or more than 18 hours of talk time.10
  • Your AirPods Pro can get up to 4.5 hours of listening time8 or up to 3.5 hours of talk time on a single charge.11
  • If you charge your AirPods Pro for 5 minutes in their case, you get around 1 hour of listening time9 or around 1 hour of talk time.12
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207012

Therefore I stick to my original contention... ya gotta carry a bunch of bulky stuff to go "wireless."

So if you do the Peloton 24 hour endurace ride... better go with wired headphones.
Old 12-09-19, 04:23 AM
clemsongirl 

you really need to stop this crazy info your presenting.....i don't need more than one at a time and keep the other one in the charger so they last ALL day for me..... i guess you don't know if someone is even listening to music (which i rarely do on my phone) Apple designed them so that you will hear the right and left sides of audio when using just one earbud. I also keep my phone and AirPod case in my handlebar bag when riding as i pay attention to those around me and or just the view and the effort needed.... i guess you don't....if i need to make/receive a call i just need to take the one AirPod out of my bags outside pocket and do it while not needing the phone itself!!! can you do that with your wired headset????

eta....unlike your fears....i've never lost the small AirPod charging case or found it difficult to have with me either.....but then it's easy for me to keep track of my things.

and...i only need to carry a small charging mat when traveling. It fits nicely in my computer bag along with a very small external ssd, AirPod case and the power supply for my computer.....i haven't lost any of that or found it difficult to have with me either....even if you evidently would

Last edited by clemsongirl; 12-09-19 at 11:31 AM.
Old 12-09-19, 09:31 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

The only gym I know is from Boston or something and I have a buncha stereos. I even fix or build my own speakers.
Old 12-09-19, 12:14 PM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
you really need to stop this crazy info your presenting.....i don't need more than one at a time and keep the other one in the charger so they last ALL day for me..... i guess you don't know if someone is even listening to music (which i rarely do on my phone) Apple designed them so that you will hear the right and left sides of audio when using just one earbud. I also keep my phone and AirPod case in my handlebar bag when riding as i pay attention to those around me and or just the view and the effort needed.... i guess you don't....if i need to make/receive a call i just need to take the one AirPod out of my bags outside pocket and do it while not needing the phone itself!!! can you do that with your wired headset????

eta....unlike your fears....i've never lost the small AirPod charging case or found it difficult to have with me either.....but then it's easy for me to keep track of my things.

and...i only need to carry a small charging mat when traveling. It fits nicely in my computer bag along with a very small external ssd, AirPod case and the power supply for my computer.....i haven't lost any of that or found it difficult to have with me either....even if you evidently would
Do you check luggage?

I never do... my two cables fit easily into my pocket.

I fly across the country often.

Have a nice day.
​​​​
Old 12-09-19, 01:02 PM
clemsongirl 

so typical of you to respond that way...no substance!!!! and no i can get what i need in a carry-on roller and purse or camera bag so no need to check my luggage even on trips to the E.U. from los angeles. thinking you actually don't really travel much! i'll leave this thread to your misinformation now.
Old 12-09-19, 01:23 PM
Seattle Forrest

LOL, I don't go to "the gym." I ride a bike.

So, never been on a 16 hour flight to China, eh? Never worked a 10+ hour shift to meet deadlines in a noisy office... I understand that new ibuds (or whatever they call them) can go 24 hours on a full charge... new ones, that is... two years from now???

Never rode your Peloton in a 24 hour endurance event?
(you can lose 4 pounds)
How do you keep your not-brand-new phone that you want to play music from charged during this 24 hour work marathon? The ear buds take the same charger.

I don't ride a Peleton, I have a bike, and I listen to my surroundings when I ride it.

You should start going to a gym for your health. Bikes are great for cardiovascular fitness, but that's only part of the picture. We all lose muscle as we age; when you get to the point that you can't get up off the toilet anymore they send you off to a home. Overhead presses make it easy to get your luggage in the overhead bin. Squats and renegade rows protect your back, you don't want a hernia. Etc.
Old 12-09-19, 02:16 PM
noisebeam
Al

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 3667 Post(s)
Liked 212 Times in 125 Posts
Hopefully buttons for volume and mute/stop call will remain so these can be changed without removing phone from bag or pocket and require attention to be distracted to another screen.
Old 12-09-19, 04:16 PM
Seattle Forrest

Garmin watches double as a remote control for phone music.

I need to know what time it is anyway, so for me it's incredibly convenient.
Old 12-09-19, 04:35 PM
noisebeam
Al

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 3667 Post(s)
Liked 212 Times in 125 Posts
Can you mute ring and change volume without looking at it?
Old 12-10-19, 02:21 AM
genec
genec

And yet another tech writer points out the limitations of the wireless only iphone concept... with pictures of bulky chargers and adapters...
Some cars support wireless CarPlay, Apple's in-car technology that allows you to see Apple Maps, Apple Music and other apps on the biggest screen in your car. But lots of cars released in the last couple of years still require you to plug your iPhone in for this to work.

If I traveled, even just for the day or to a hotel, I'd probably have to carry my wireless charging puck with me. The puck is larger than a charging cable, which means it would be less convenient than just carrying a charging cable with me. Some places have wireless charging areas, but it's still far more convenient to find a spare outlet.

It still takes a couple of hours to fully charge a device using wireless technology, even if you're using the fastest option available, which is only offered on Android phones right now. But you can charge an iPhone from empty to 50 percent in about 30 minutes using Apple's 18W fast charger, which ships with the iPhone 11 Pro Max and iPhone 11 Pro but which works with models as old as the iPhone 8. Qi charging, the standard used by most companies right now, doesn't offer that fast of a charge yet, so you'd wait much longer for your phone to juice up if it relies solely on wireless charging.

The smartest solution for Apple would be to switch from Lightning to USB-C. It offers faster charging and is already used by MacBooks and iPads. In this case, customers would need to carry just one cable to charge all of their devices at the fastest possible speed.

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2019/12/09/...he-iphone.html

And there is more... but hey, if you have "deep pockets," you can "afford" to carry and buy all the "stuff" it will take to support your completely sealed, slick, wireless, stylish, new glass iSlab.

I'm still trying to figure out how sound will go in and out this thing... microphones and speakers usually require at least tiny holes... Audio transducers perhaps.
Old 12-10-19, 02:25 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by noisebeam View Post
Maybe you just knock on it real hard. "Hello, anybody in there..."

Or shake it... "Is this broken..."

Or just scowl at it... "Don't do that...I'm in a meeting..."
Old 12-15-19, 07:27 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

No wonder I only have a landline.
Old 12-15-19, 09:02 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by noisebeam View Post
Yeah. Button operated, not touch screen.