Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Electric Airplanes

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Electric Airplanes

Old 12-11-19, 04:26 PM
StupidlyBrave 
Chepooka

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1400 7spd; 2001 Litespeed Arenberg 10 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Electric Airplanes

It seems like this is a thing. https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ight-in-canada
Old 12-12-19, 01:48 AM
clemsongirl 

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 550 Times in 184 Posts
Replacing petrochemical consumption with battery-powered electricity is the future not only in cars but also aviation....and of course there is even more fuel and cost-efficientcy in the aviation part. The development of the aviation part has been going on for a number of years now with a number of successful flights. Solar Impulse 2 did the first electrical-powered circumnavigation 3 years ago.
More importantly and as the first step, aviation hybrid electric technology will be available in the E.U. in the near future for commuter/regional travel. Single European Skies in the E.U. has been doing the work in building the needed distributed electric air network and air traffic management for 2 years now and should be ready by the time those regional flights start.
Boeings Zunum Aero should have a hybrid system capable of carrying 12 passengers with 700 nautical miles of flight within the next couple of years. The NASA Electric Aircraft Testbed has been doing the work on both megawatt-scale electric aircraft engines and especially airframe design in the U.S. for large passenger airplanes for 3 years now with the thinking that it will only be another decade to having it available for prototypes.

Last edited by clemsongirl; 12-12-19 at 02:29 AM.
Old 12-12-19, 08:47 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 7321 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 234 Posts
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
Replacing petrochemical consumption with battery-powered electricity is the future not only in cars but also aviation....and of course there is even more fuel and cost-efficientcy in the aviation part. The development of the aviation part has been going on for a number of years now with a number of successful flights. Solar Impulse 2 did the first electrical-powered circumnavigation 3 years ago.
More importantly and as the first step, aviation hybrid electric technology will be available in the E.U. in the near future for commuter/regional travel. Single European Skies in the E.U. has been doing the work in building the needed distributed electric air network and air traffic management for 2 years now and should be ready by the time those regional flights start.
Boeings Zunum Aero should have a hybrid system capable of carrying 12 passengers with 700 nautical miles of flight within the next couple of years. The NASA Electric Aircraft Testbed has been doing the work on both megawatt-scale electric aircraft engines and especially airframe design in the U.S. for large passenger airplanes for 3 years now with the thinking that it will only be another decade to having it available for prototypes.

​​​​​​Very interesting, but that does put large scale commercial passenger flights out at least 15 years... but wow... quiet skies, eh?
Old 12-12-19, 09:01 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount, Salsa Timberjack, Diamondback Expert TG, Burley Samba

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1732 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 196 Posts
Zunum Aero seems to be dead in the water. They couldn't get funding to continue their motor.

The largest price in making a new plane or rocket is the engine, and wouldn't expect this to change with electricity. The problems created by the design brief (lightweight, power dense, long service) are hard, harder than they are for cars. A lot of the technology enabling this is mature, brushless motors and lithium batteries and carbon fiber airframes. Someone needs to carry a design over the goal line into successful production.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 12-12-19, 11:16 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 226 Times in 199 Posts
They tried using paper but the constant loop-de-loops were upsetting the passengers.
Old 12-12-19, 11:28 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 105 Posts
Yeah, I interviewed with Zunum about 18 months ago. Never heard back. I've been following their 'progress' off and on since, then, since I'm interested in the technology that's also being developed. I was disappointed when they basically folded. My understanding is that the principal's are still involved in the research aspect of it, but mostly on their own dime, and the company is basically suspended.

It's really just a matter of time, probably. I keep hoping that solar electric winds up really developing some good tech that might allow some other pipe dream aircraft, like giant flying wings. I want to see the tech get away from increasing speed, to increasing comfort. If endurance becomes not an issue, and fuel costs are significantly reduced, we might be able to develop large aircraft that are more like cruise ships or travelling by train (which is slower, but much, much more comfortable).
Old 12-12-19, 01:33 PM
clemsongirl 

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
Zunum Aero seems to be dead in the water. They couldn't get funding to continue their motor..
A while ago I heard they were doing some good work on it's hybrid concept for regional travel. That’s too bad their investor funding had problems. Boeing is still involved in the Subsonic Ultra Green Aircraft Research program isn’t it?
Old 12-12-19, 03:19 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount, Salsa Timberjack, Diamondback Expert TG, Burley Samba

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1732 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 196 Posts
I didn't know about that one. Looks like it is more concentrated on the folding wing structure than on the propulsion but they did do some work with GE.

This stuff comes and goes but the biggest lesson I've learned is that it has to fit in the existing infrastructure or have an advantage overwhelming enough to destroy the existing infrastructure. The big news back when I was in engineer school was the McDouglas blended wing body and its competitor the Boeing C-wing, these ultimately led to the X-48. But in practice, you couldn't take one of these things up to a terminal gate, and no one really wants the 747 or A380 any more either now that twin jets match their seat-mile cost and range.

In the case of these little electric airplanes, you are competing with tiny turboprop or even piston planes that take off and land at tiny terminals, a fuel truck drives up and tops them off if needed, they do half a dozen flights or something in a day. Little things from Embraer or Beechcraft. Those planes are old designs and their engines are even older designs, like for Vietnam-war era helicopters, all amortized. How do you pay for new engine development, for one thing, and introduce electric charging to the infrastructure, for another? It's not impossible but it does take a change that has to be paid by the airlines and airports, not just the manufacturer.
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 12-12-19, 05:51 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Moto Fantom29 ProSL hardtail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 179 Posts
Originally Posted by genec View Post
​​​​​​Very interesting, but that does put large scale commercial passenger flights out at least 15 years... but wow... quiet skies, eh?
I don't know about that, have you ever been next to a hobbyist quadcopter when it spins up? Sounds like a hundred hives of angry bees
Likes For RubeRad:
Old 12-12-19, 07:53 PM
ahsposo 
Perfect Member

Bikes: A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 3629 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 231 Posts
"Electric Airplanes" sounds like the name of '60s tribute band...
Old 12-12-19, 10:04 PM
StupidlyBrave 
Chepooka

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1400 7spd; 2001 Litespeed Arenberg 10 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
"Electric Airplanes" sounds like the name of '60s tribute band...
to "bats without flesh"

I like it.
Old 12-12-19, 11:52 PM
clemsongirl 

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
it has to fit in the existing infrastructure .
China, especially, does a much better job than the U.S. with electric transport infrastructure research and building funding….more importantly using grants/subsidies instead of venture/private capital. Much more has been done in the E.U. than the U.S. on planning/building an infrastructure for passenger regional electric/hybrid-electric plane use. Smaller aircraft will come first then they will get bigger. They also lead in investing in renewable energy airports with all electric on the ground fleet vehicles too.

Some parts of the U.S. are doing some good things in the EV area….thanks to the wa. or. and ca. state initiatives to build a north to south west coast fast charging station infrastructure the west coast’s I-5 is the longest EV enabled corridor in the U.S. now. China does have many more long enabled corridors.

It takes time and commitment to build infrastructure and for technology to also create the battery advancements needed for aviation. Past advancement says a safe bet is that it will for aviation though. With aviation being one of the biggest contributors to carbon emissions i look forward to its contribution to a change with e-mobility.

i just looked into it and Boeing is still doing research/development work for the NASA program on aviation hybrid-electric engines.