Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Discountinued HED Ardennes Plus SL

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-19, 10:05 AM
Tycho Brahe 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 67 Posts

The HED Ardennes Plus SL has been replaced by some new model, so they are now being discounted. They come with an 11 speed hub, so they are not "old" wheels. Still a good wheel in 2020?

Recently discovered that my front wheel is cracked, so I need a replacement. Currently using some old take-offs. Wish I could only purchase a front.
Old 11-25-19, 12:02 PM
goenrdoug

Bikes: 2019 Supersix Evo, 2002 Trek 2000

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Tycho Brahe
Wish I could only purchase a front.
Same. I'm using a mismatched front because the brake track on mine is way worn while the rear is fine and has my power-meter in it...

Do tell more info on this discount/sale/clearance situation... ?
Old 11-25-19, 01:19 PM
jad3675

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by goenrdoug
Same. I'm using a mismatched front because the brake track on mine is way worn while the rear is fine and has my power-meter in it...

Do tell more info on this discount/sale/clearance situation... ?
Backcountry/competitivecyclist have them on clearance for $683 + shipping.

John
Old 11-25-19, 01:35 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
Yes. It's still an excellent wheelset.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 11-25-19, 02:57 PM
haggiszero

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I have the Ardennes Black+ wheelset, really enjoy the look of the permablack alloy brake surface. It makes the wheels look alot "newer" than the traditional silver brake track. Might see if you can get a deal on those. I've had for 2 years, never had an issue other than needing to keep the rear wheel's spokes greased where they overlap.
Old 11-25-19, 03:14 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
My front wheel pulses a little. It's been that way since it was quite new. Truing didn't fix it. I assume the brake track is warped slightly. Other than that, the wheels are light and sturdy. I've slammed quite a few railroad tracks and potholes.
I like the wheels.

The 20.5mm inside width means that I can run GP4000 25mm and they measure 29mm. They handle great, and I can lower the air pressure as if it's a 28.

The supplied rim tape needs another layer to keep it from excessively sagging into the spoke holes. It was starting to worry me that it would split at the hole rim. I added another layer of tubeless tape, narrower, just wide enough to span the spoke holes. That's been fine.

The rims are a matt finish, and very hard to get completely clean. Now I just wipe them off and don't try to get the grime out. I think I used windex and a microfiber cloth to scrub them clean, and it did work with a good amount of effort.
Old 11-25-19, 03:55 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Tycho Brahe
The HED Ardennes Plus SL has been replaced by some new model, so they are now being discounted. They come with an 11 speed hub, so they are not "old" wheels. Still a good wheel in 2020?

Recently discovered that my front wheel is cracked, so I need a replacement. Currently using some old take-offs. Wish I could only purchase a front.
I bought a pair of these wheels about 2 years ago, used but in good shape, for $250. I'd have paid double that for them, they're excellent wheels. Lighter, stronger, and wider-rimmed than what I was using before. They look great and have been extremely reliable, honestly don't see any need to upgrade them even if I had the budget for it.
Old 11-25-19, 04:09 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
"Discountinued", I like that.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 11-25-19, 04:14 PM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
I have the Ardennes Plus Black wheels as well after warrantying a few different pairs of normal Ardennes. I opted for a higher spoke count this time around (24F/28R) because I kept breaking the 20/24's at the rim and eventually the front hub cracked.

The higher spoke count stiffened the wheel up nicely, and the textured brake surface makes a fun noise when I brake.
Old 11-25-19, 07:28 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10167 Post(s)
Liked 5,860 Times in 3,154 Posts
I bought a disc set for the off-road/commuter last year. Great wheels.