Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Will someone just tell me what direct drive trainer to buy?

Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Will someone just tell me what direct drive trainer to buy?

Old 03-20-21, 10:31 PM
guachi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
I got a Kickr Core in 2019 at 20% off during an infrequent sale. Belt whine issue in 2020 fixed by getting a new unit. No problems in 2021. The Core gets used by me and my wife 10-15 hours a week in total week after week. I'm sure any decent smart trainer will serve you well (check that DC Rainmaker link) but a smart trainer and a good program (in my case, Zwift) was a game changer for my cycling fitness.
Old 03-22-21, 12:12 PM
Phatman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Danhedonia
Let us know how it all goes.
Well it appears I procrastinated long enough in buying that the weather got nice again. Maybe I'll get one next year.
Old 03-22-21, 01:19 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Liked 1,169 Times in 682 Posts
Originally Posted by Phatman
Well it appears I procrastinated long enough in buying that the weather got nice again. Maybe I'll get one next year.
before you just hang up your hat and wait until next year i would suggest you periodically keep feelers out. i bought mine during the summer and got a really great deal on a new previous year's model. used it only a few times to make sure it functioned then shelved it until the bad weather came. i saved a bundle.

-scott
Likes For spelger:
Old 05-21-21, 01:16 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
before you just hang up your hat and wait until next year i would suggest you periodically keep feelers out. i bought mine during the summer and got a really great deal on a new previous year's model. used it only a few times to make sure it functioned then shelved it until the bad weather came. i saved a bundle.

-scott
I like this thinking. I am doing this myself, might suggest it to the wife and kids as a Fathers Day present.
Old 05-28-21, 11:56 AM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
I finally bit the bullet a while ago and spent for the Tacx Neo 2T. Zero regrets. Quiet, works with thru axles and discs frames, never needs calibration, and no issues. Just get the Neo 2T.