Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Repair

Old 03-30-20, 03:24 AM
Reiska

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Repair

Hi I have a MTB with Shimano Octalink Crankset. The thread on the right crank arm has gone where the pedal is attached. Is it possible to replace only the arm or would i need to replace the whole crankset.

Thanks
Raymond
Old 03-30-20, 04:11 AM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Reiska
Hi I have a MTB with Shimano Octalink Crankset. The thread on the right crank arm has gone where the pedal is attached. Is it possible to replace only the arm or would i need to replace the whole crankset.
If you found an identical one, you could replace just one.

If you got one which is the same length but different design, you could replace just one, but it may look odd.

If you want it to look good, and don't find an identical one, you should replace both.
Likes For alo:
Old 03-30-20, 02:56 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1499 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,119 Posts
Find an old-school bike mechanic and they can tap and coil your crank arm to restore the threads so you can use it again. Ask around your local shops. Chances are someone will be able to help you.
Brent
Likes For obrentharris:
Old 03-30-20, 05:07 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Is there a bicycle co-op near you? If so and when they open after this COVID-19 thing is under control, you might get lucky and find another right side crankarm there.

Cheers