Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Bacchetta Carbon Aero 2.0 or EZ Speedster for a first recumbent

Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Old 06-04-20, 06:35 PM
ark40

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts

I have ridden a diamond frame road bike and a mountain bike off an on for 15 yrs. Will usually do a 40 mile for my long ride on the weekend and try and do a couple 20-30 milers during the week. Once a year I will participate in my local annual bike ride and do a 55 miler. But that's about it for now, may do the 72 mile version in a couple years, or even a century if I I keep riding regularly. I am getting tired of the shoulder, arm, neck and butt pain when sitting on a diamond frame bike. Even after all these years I have never gotten used to them. Now that I am getting old I just want to ride comfortably, speed is not an issue. Plus I don't ride in big groups in pace lines any more. I have been thinking about selling my Mountain bike and getting into a recumbent. Obviously not having ridden one I went through the forums and read up on the various models. Followed up by local searches to see what's available in the local used market.
I have the EZ speedster ($450) and the Bacchetta ($1200) both available online. Which one do you think makes a better choice for a new rider. I feel like the Bacchetta is more of a commitment, but if I like it I will never have to upgrade. The EZ I feel is a good economical test bike but if I start to like it I will get the urge to upgrade to a better bike soon. I was hoping to keep the bike within the $1000 range but I am realizing good recumbents are very expensive.

And do the prices look reasonable?

Last edited by ark40; 06-04-20 at 06:49 PM.
Old 06-04-20, 07:26 PM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 82 Posts
Ok price on the Sun. Very good price on the Bacchetta. Those are two pretty different bikes.
Old 06-05-20, 07:03 AM
gobent

Bikes: Catrike Road

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Walmart or Bike Shop?

Originally Posted by ark40
I have ridden a diamond frame road bike and a mountain bike off an on for 15 yrs. Will usually do a 40 mile for my long ride on the weekend and try and do a couple 20-30 milers during the week. Once a year I will participate in my local annual bike ride and do a 55 miler. But that's about it for now, may do the 72 mile version in a couple years, or even a century if I I keep riding regularly. I am getting tired of the shoulder, arm, neck and butt pain when sitting on a diamond frame bike. Even after all these years I have never gotten used to them. Now that I am getting old I just want to ride comfortably, speed is not an issue. Plus I don't ride in big groups in pace lines any more. I have been thinking about selling my Mountain bike and getting into a recumbent. Obviously not having ridden one I went through the forums and read up on the various models. Followed up by local searches to see what's available in the local used market.
I have the EZ speedster ($450) and the Bacchetta ($1200) both available online. Which one do you think makes a better choice for a new rider. I feel like the Bacchetta is more of a commitment, but if I like it I will never have to upgrade. The EZ I feel is a good economical test bike but if I start to like it I will get the urge to upgrade to a better bike soon. I was hoping to keep the bike within the $1000 range but I am realizing good recumbents are very expensive.

And do the prices look reasonable?
That is the choice, IMHO. The Sun is Walmart, the Bachetta is the one you would stick with and ride comfortably. If you ever decide to sell, you can get lots more money out of the Bachetta. It’s lighter, well made, probably easier to transport, need I say faster?. Take the leap, let us know how it works out.

gobent
Old 06-05-20, 11:35 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
Bacchetta has an adjustable seat angle. It would be easier to learn with the seat more upright, and much faster once the skills are learned and with the seat angle lower. The Sun will be easier to learn right away but its speed will be holding you back after a few months. If you are never going to worry about speed, choose the Sun, otherwise choose the Bacchetta.
Old 06-06-20, 10:43 AM
ark40

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Regrettably the Bacchetta is sold. So I continue my quest. There is a Giro A20 for sale but $1k might be too high for that.
Old 07-08-20, 09:35 PM
jimorus

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you have no recumbent experience a long wheelbase bike is easier to learn to ride.There are a lot o easy racers clones available inexpensively but they are a little long to be transported easily on a rear rack on a car. I learned on Rans Rocket dual 20 inch short wheelbase and it was a little intimidating at first. You can find them on ebay or bentrideronline starting at 400$ or so. I don't think I would have made the jump had I started on dual 26 or 700 wheels.
Old 08-29-20, 11:14 PM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
Above seat handlebars are much easier to learn on than under seat bars. Long wheelbase bikes are more stable that their twitchier shorter wheelbase cousins. The seat is not between your legs like a diamond frame bike and the feel is quite different. Starting is usually a problem at first but you learn rapidly how to get it going. You also learn to gear down before stopping. There is no such thing as standing to start your bike or climb a hill. Everything is done with the gears. Taller seats are going to be trickier to learn and if too tall can be a safety issue. Long wheelbase recumbents have lightly loaded front wheels so use the front brake with care. The rear brake can do most of the braking as it is much harder to slide the rear wheel. It is probably better to put platform pedals on when first learning. You can put clipless cleated shoes on after getting used to the bicycle. Enjoy.
Old 08-30-20, 10:22 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
Recycled Recumbents:
https://sites.google.com/site/recycl...e/the-showroom