Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Wolf Tooth Geoshift on a Surly Karate Monkey

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 02-04-21, 03:59 PM
kroney

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Is there any disadvantage to altering the geometry on a 2018 Surly Karate Monkey.

The headtube and seattube angles are retro compared to modern standards. I know it will make the reach shorter, but I have a short upper body for my height.
Old 02-04-21, 08:38 PM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
What kind of fork do you have on it? I have the same frame—medium with a 120mm fork and a 70mm stem. The handlebar has 12° of backsweep, which effectively shortens the stem, otherwise I'd use a 50–60mm stem. I prefer a higher BB and shorter reach. With the medium length suspension fork, the HTA is less than 70°. I'm 5'9" and it does not hold me back, but that's my riding style on rocky central Texas chunk. The contact points on my bike are on the same place that I would put them on a "slacked out" bike.
Old 02-06-21, 08:11 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Well the Geoshift is not going to steepen your seat angle, or increase the reach of the frame, both of which are key ingredients of modern geo.

As far as slackening the HTA.... keep in mind that along with slackening the HTA, you are also pushing the front wheel farther out. whether it is a plus or a minus depends on how you ride. You are going to need to lean forwards more to weight the front end. The steeper STAs and longer frame reach numbers on modern geo helps keep some weight on the front wheel.