Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Need a Damn Nice Mountain Bike, What's a Good Brand/Model?

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Need a Damn Nice Mountain Bike, What's a Good Brand/Model?

Old 02-09-21, 11:05 PM
tungsten

Bikes: 1962 Cinelli Mod. "B" / 1988 Bailey 531c / '92 Rocky Vertex / Obed Baseline / CroMag Wideangle/

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Last edited by tungsten; 02-09-21 at 11:15 PM.
Old 02-10-21, 03:42 PM
Cheez

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by tungsten View Post
/\
|
|
Look nice. Why are the old bikes lighter than the new bikes? Can somebody explain that... And did inflation go up by more than 3x?
Old 02-10-21, 04:17 PM
Sommy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
And this is why there is such urgency to send out relief checks? So people can blow it all on a new bike. What happened to all those politicians yelling and screaming that people can't make ends meet or put food on the table? It's so terrible and sad. Maybe if people cut back their spending and saved some money it wouldn't be so bad.

And then we have the OP already spending the check he doesn't have.
Old 02-10-21, 04:39 PM
Cheez

Originally Posted by Sommy View Post
And this is why there is such urgency to send out relief checks? So people can blow it all on a new bike. What happened to all those politicians yelling and screaming that people can't make ends meet or put food on the table? It's so terrible and sad. Maybe if people cut back their spending and saved some money it wouldn't be so bad.

And then we have the OP already spending the check he doesn't have.
Those stimulus checks will very heavily be used up quickly. I will be getting:
- $770 high-end efficient burning wood stove
- Either $1600 (friend told me I cannot go any higher) new mountain bike or no bike.
- $500 for power tools (impact driver, reciprocating saw, blades, drill bits, batteries, etc)
- $5100 for an electric scooter if I don't buy a new mountain bike. If I buy a new bike then I will have to settle for a $1300 electric scooter
- $1600 to pay off my shed
- $2500 for another shed for my parents (they will have financial trouble and I need to provide them a shelter)
- High performance insulation for both my shed and my parents shed $1500
- $300 for pieces of lumber to make shelves / furniture and a steel barrel wood stove for my parents shed

A lot of stimulus checks coming this year. Obviously I can't buy all these at one time. Have to wait till stimulus check comes monthly.

Last edited by Cheez; 02-10-21 at 04:43 PM.
Old 02-10-21, 05:30 PM
Cheez

This is the one my friend told me I am allowed to have:
$1600 Cannondale Trail 2 MTB
https://www.cannondale.com/en-us/bik...ku=c26200m10xs

What I don't get is how does that new bike weigh more than my late 90s Raleigh M8 MTB? Both are aluminum frame. Did they make metal tubing thicker or something?.. or is it because of the the larger wheels and tires? 🤔 For my size it would be a medium..and will come with a 27.5" tires not the 29. So that should shave off a little bit of weight .. Oh well as long as it rides better and power delivery is better I don't mind a slightly heavier bike.

Edit: My friend just told me that efficiency and better power delivery on this bike will be more than enough to offset for slightly heavier weight. Interesting, I didn't know.

Last edited by Cheez; 02-10-21 at 05:38 PM.
Old 02-10-21, 05:53 PM
Eric F

Bikes: 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 1977 Nishiki ONP, 1999 Trek 9900 Team Issue

Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 732 Times in 349 Posts
It's really challenging to give specific recommendations for vague requests. These days, the variables within the term "mountain bike" are quite a bit wider than they were 30 years ago. What kind of mountain bike...Cross-country, enduro, or downhill? Hardtail or full-suspension? 27.5 or 29? Are you using it to roll around town, serious recreational riding on local dirt roads and trails, or race...or some of each? (These are questions for you to know. I don't need or want answers.) Without you knowing what you're looking for, other than a price range, it's pretty difficult to point you in a specific direction. Every single brand you've mentioned makes excellent bikes, and you really can't pick wrong...unless you pick the wrong type of bike for the kind of riding you do.

Until you get to the high-end of the market (which is a ways above your price range), you probably aren't going to see a significant weight difference from your current bike.

Also...Don't ride on the sidewalk. Sidewalks are for walking.
Old 02-10-21, 06:12 PM
Cheez

Yeah rolling around town, some recreational ride to keep my body in shape and improve indurance. I live very close to downtown.. I like to go fast. Would like to go at least 15- 20 mph. I take sidewalk cause some drivers here are rude and blast horn at me. Even the cop yelled at me to stay on the sidewalk. If I can go fast I get on the road.. The last block to my shed is a trail. And I would like to ride on the grass sometimes.

Last edited by Cheez; 02-10-21 at 09:37 PM.
Old 02-11-21, 11:04 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1754 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 303 Posts
You think you are getting $14,000 in stimulus checks?? Wetdream. I'm betting you never had a job, don't have a bank account, and have never paid taxes.....and you live with your parents.
Likes For trailangel:
Old 02-11-21, 11:19 AM
Cheez

Originally Posted by trailangel View Post
You think you are getting $14,000 in stimulus checks?? Wetdream. I'm betting you never had a job, don't have a bank account, and have never paid taxes.....and you live with your parents.
I'm guessing $12000... Not only do I file taxes but am older than you too (means more experience in both physical and spiritual).
I live by myself in a shed. I do best I can to not get help from my parents.
My life is so terrible I will have to buy a more expensive bike. My price tag has increased back up to $3000. I would need to wait two months worth stimulus money to get that.

Last edited by Cheez; 02-11-21 at 11:23 AM.
Old 02-11-21, 11:28 AM
Eric F

Bikes: 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 1977 Nishiki ONP, 1999 Trek 9900 Team Issue

Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 732 Times in 349 Posts
Oh, boy.
Likes For Eric F:
Old 02-11-21, 12:10 PM
cb400bill
High Derolic Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL 2.1 Carbon, Cannondale Synapse Alloy, Trek 710

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)