Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Cyclist's palsy - it's real!

Old 08-31-20, 09:28 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
Originally Posted by papaki72
I started with daily rides of 20Km and 80Km on weekends. In a month, I had intense pain in the elbows and pain in the two last finders along with pain in the palm on that side. I had carpal tunnel release on my right hand last April and I sure need to strengthen both arms. But with this... Plain bad luck!
You said you had: intense pain in the elbows

Both of them? I have no suggestion. That sounds like a serious issue.

Several years ago on a canoe trip I did something that caused intense pain in one elbow and paddling the canoe for hours every day made it much worse. After the trip it took months for that elbow to recover.
Old 09-24-20, 03:56 AM
papaki72

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport Sora (now), Whistle Modod Flatbar (retired)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
You said you had: intense pain in the elbows

Both of them? I have no suggestion. That sounds like a serious issue.

Several years ago on a canoe trip I did something that caused intense pain in one elbow and paddling the canoe for hours every day made it much worse. After the trip it took months for that elbow to recover.
Sorry for responding late. It proved to be Neck Syndrome with C8-T1 radiculopathy affecting both hands with effects similar to ulnar entrapment, tennis elbow.
Now the pain on my neck is so severe that made me stop cycling completely. My oversized bicycle has been given away. I will gradually start after a few months with a new one, perfectly sized for me and providing that the problems have subsided by quite a bit.
Old 12-07-20, 08:18 PM
leedom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi,
I recently did a long ride over three weeks. Two weeks later still have the issue in right hand, and in the inside of my big toes! It was a rough long ride!