Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

I'm looking for a New Mountain bike.

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

I'm looking for a New Mountain bike.

Old 02-27-20, 11:00 AM
  #26  
qclabrat
Senior Member
 
qclabrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,373
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
quick compare of the two bikes over lunch, pay attention to the geometries.
Very different, over an inch stack difference in concert with ETT and reach.
That's sort of the buyer beware issue with BD bikes, unless you have a bike very close in geo, it's hard to judge the feel on the trails.
They might be perfect, and depends if 2500 is disposable if it doesn't fit. New bikes leaving the store always depreciates more than you expect.

BD bike in Large
- ETT 608
- Reach 430
- Stack 643
- HTA 67

Trek in large
- ETT 633
- Reach 454
- Stack 612
- HTA 66.6

Trek in ML
- ETT 618
- Reach 439
- Stack 612
- HTA 66.6
qclabrat is offline  
Old 02-28-20, 07:02 AM
  #27  
Armyguy1914
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Armyguy1914's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Charlotte,NC
Posts: 81

Bikes: Trek Dual Sport 3, Trek Emonda 5 Full carbon road bike,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good morning Folks well I been looking and now I'm hearing about SRAM GX drive train. Its hard to Find a XT or XTR that a good pre-owned in 12 Speed. I see more SRAM @12 speed though. I found one that has XT but its 11 speed. On a trail do you really need that extra gear?? let me know what you guys think about this ?
Armyguy1914 is offline  
Old 02-28-20, 08:42 AM
  #28  
prj71
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 2,305
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1275 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by carlosponti View Post
this might sound like a dumb question but have you checked your derailleur hanger to make sure its straight? I will say since the NX vs GX uses a different shifter and derailleur it might be why I've not had problems but then those people in the link didn't like how the shifter felt even on nx. plus mine isn't that old maybe even now mine is an updated model from when the 12 speed eagle came out. I hope that holds to be true and I don't wind up with issues down the road where it wont shift worth a damn.
Yes. It's been aligned and adjusted a few times already. Like I said, it holds for while then goes back to being crappy. I'm going to update it to Shimano XT.
prj71 is offline  
Old 02-28-20, 08:43 AM
  #29  
prj71
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 2,305
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1275 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by Armyguy1914 View Post
Good morning Folks well I been looking and now I'm hearing about SRAM GX drive train. Its hard to Find a XT or XTR that a good pre-owned in 12 Speed. I see more SRAM @12 speed though. I found one that has XT but its 11 speed. On a trail do you really need that extra gear?? let me know what you guys think about this ?
Lot of bikes being speced with theh SRAM GX drive train because it brings the price down. SRAM GX cheaper than Shimano XT
prj71 is offline  
Old 02-28-20, 10:26 AM
  #30  
carlosponti
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Moore, OK
Posts: 190

Bikes: '90 Raleigh Technium Prestige, '90 Fuji Thrill - Gone, '18 Fuji Nevada 1.7 29er, '19 Fezzari Abajo Peak

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Armyguy1914 View Post
Good morning Folks well I been looking and now I'm hearing about SRAM GX drive train. Its hard to Find a XT or XTR that a good pre-owned in 12 Speed. I see more SRAM @12 speed though. I found one that has XT but its 11 speed. On a trail do you really need that extra gear?? let me know what you guys think about this ?
shimano isnt going to be easy to find pre-owned. it only just came out recently. 11 speed is going to be easier to find because people are swapping over to 12 speed. you could very easily get away with just the 11 speed and right now get a deal on it. if you were buying a new bike there is no way id buy it with 11 just because its not the newer option. but if you have a 2x10 11 speed would be fine.
carlosponti is offline  
Old 02-28-20, 11:51 AM
  #31  
Armyguy1914
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Armyguy1914's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Charlotte,NC
Posts: 81

Bikes: Trek Dual Sport 3, Trek Emonda 5 Full carbon road bike,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well most of the bikes i see now when i go to Giant and Trek is mostly have SRAM drive trains. A few of them have Shimano. I hva e buddy here at work he has a full carbon Santa cruz with SRAM XX1 on it. what about the higher tier SRAM drive trains like X01 or XX1
Armyguy1914 is offline  
Old 02-28-20, 02:04 PM
  #32  
Kapusta
Cyclochondriac
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 4,280
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1845 Post(s)
Liked 1,149 Times in 675 Posts
Originally Posted by Armyguy1914 View Post
Good morning Folks well I been looking and now I'm hearing about SRAM GX drive train. Its hard to Find a XT or XTR that a good pre-owned in 12 Speed. I see more SRAM @12 speed though. I found one that has XT but its 11 speed. On a trail do you really need that extra gear?? let me know what you guys think about this ?
If the 11 has the range you need, and you are OK with the gear spacing, then you don't need the extra gear.

11x1 speed with a 32t ring and 11-46 cassette gives me all the range I need and I am fine with the spacing, so I find zero need for 12 speed. At least on my trail bike. YMMV.
Kapusta is online now  
Old 02-29-20, 10:33 AM
  #33  
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator
 
Darth Lefty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Folsom CA
Posts: 11,642

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Timberjack, Expert TG, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2267 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 621 Posts
<4:1 overall ratio (like 11-42) is ok for a trail or commuter bike. If you are doing anything heavy or fast you likely want one step higher or lower.

While I like more range I haven't really craved more shifts, but while the 11 speed generation was a revolution and had a lot of new stuff, the 12 speed is pretty much another cog bolted on the 11 to get that extra step.
__________________
Genesis 49:16-17
Darth Lefty is offline  
Old 03-02-20, 07:40 AM
  #34  
Redrovermiami
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What about bikes online dot com?

Anyone with experience with them?
Redrovermiami is offline  
Old 03-05-20, 06:54 AM
  #35  
Armyguy1914
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Armyguy1914's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Charlotte,NC
Posts: 81

Bikes: Trek Dual Sport 3, Trek Emonda 5 Full carbon road bike,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good morning these are the two mountain bikes i was looking at. Trek fuel EX 8 plus and Giant trance 29 2. look at the specs let me know what you guys think? Why is it so hard to find Shimano XT or XTR 12 speed but when you do its on higher priced bikes. I seen a few but 3 grand and up range though mostly in the 4K rANGE.!!!


https://www.trekbikes.com/internatio...-8-29/p/21543/



https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/trance-29-2
Armyguy1914 is offline  
Old 03-05-20, 09:43 AM
  #36  
prj71
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 2,305
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1275 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 116 Posts
Because Shimano XT and XTR components bring the price of the bike up.

Those bikes in your links are just fine.
prj71 is offline  
Old 03-05-20, 04:51 PM
  #37  
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator
 
Darth Lefty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Folsom CA
Posts: 11,642

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Timberjack, Expert TG, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2267 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 621 Posts
I'd get the Giant but my rationale is pretty thin - I had a short-link bike (Diamondback Clutch) and liked it, I haven't had a long-link bike.
__________________
Genesis 49:16-17
Darth Lefty is offline  
Old 03-10-20, 09:19 AM
  #38  
Armyguy1914
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Armyguy1914's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Charlotte,NC
Posts: 81

Bikes: Trek Dual Sport 3, Trek Emonda 5 Full carbon road bike,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Questions I ran into this bike from. The specs looks bad as! Is it really ????

https://www.theproscloset.com/produc...ike-2017-small
Armyguy1914 is offline  
Old 03-10-20, 11:39 AM
  #39  
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator
 
Darth Lefty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Folsom CA
Posts: 11,642

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Timberjack, Expert TG, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2267 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 621 Posts
Very fancy! It's also a longer travel bike than the ones you were linking above.

That site deals in used bikes, which can be great deals, but check out their return policy, it's not as good as new retail. That one is size small, are you a small size? (I'm usually in the lower half ot medium at 5ft8).
__________________
Genesis 49:16-17
Darth Lefty is offline  
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 03-10-20, 01:15 PM
  #40  
Armyguy1914
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Armyguy1914's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Charlotte,NC
Posts: 81

Bikes: Trek Dual Sport 3, Trek Emonda 5 Full carbon road bike,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
Very fancy! It's also a longer travel bike than the ones you were linking above.

That site deals in used bikes, which can be great deals, but check out their return policy, it's not as good as new retail. That one is size small, are you a small size? (I'm usually in the lower half ot medium at 5ft8).
hey how's it going man yeah I been looking and this bike when it was new was about 8k wow!!😮😮😮well slot of travel to do jumps and most of the bike is carbon from what they guy told me. Thought about getting it.
Armyguy1914 is offline  
Old 03-10-20, 05:12 PM
  #41  
Armyguy1914
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Armyguy1914's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Charlotte,NC
Posts: 81

Bikes: Trek Dual Sport 3, Trek Emonda 5 Full carbon road bike,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
hey how's it going everyone yeah I been looking and this bike when it was new was about 8k wow!!😮😮😮well slot of travel to do jumps and most of the bike is carbon from what they guy told me. Thought about getting it.



https://www.theproscloset.com/produc...ike-2017-small
Armyguy1914 is offline  
Old 03-12-20, 07:27 AM
  #42  
qclabrat
Senior Member
 
qclabrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,373
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by Armyguy1914 View Post
hey how's it going everyone yeah I been looking and this bike when it was new was about 8k wow!!😮😮😮well slot of travel to do jumps and most of the bike is carbon from what they guy told me. Thought about getting it.



https://www.theproscloset.com/produc...ike-2017-small
50% price drops are common, especially for the high end bikes.
I'm a tad taller by an inch and never found a bike in small which fit well. A 2017 bike may even feel smaller if it has the older geometry of shorter top tubes.
Link is gone, maybe you're the new owner?
qclabrat is offline  
Old 03-12-20, 08:19 AM
  #43  
prj71
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 2,305
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1275 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by Armyguy1914 View Post
hey how's it going everyone yeah I been looking and this bike when it was new was about 8k wow!!😮😮😮well slot of travel to do jumps and most of the bike is carbon from what they guy told me. Thought about getting it.



https://www.theproscloset.com/produc...ike-2017-small
Pros closet charges too much for used bikes.

Try pinkbike.com instead. You'll get a better deal on a used bike from a private party.
prj71 is offline  
Old 03-15-20, 05:57 PM
  #44  
Armyguy1914
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Armyguy1914's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Charlotte,NC
Posts: 81

Bikes: Trek Dual Sport 3, Trek Emonda 5 Full carbon road bike,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
Pros closet charges too much for used bikes.

Try pinkbike.com instead. You'll get a better deal on a used bike from a private party.
Questions I ran into 2 bikes I may want. what you guys think of both of them???? Pros and cons Giant Bike 2019 and they want$ 2300 and Specialized they want $3200
Im on the fence so I need some help since Im still new to riding.


https://www.pinkbike.com/news/2017-s...irst-look.html


https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/revie...ance-29-2-2019
Armyguy1914 is offline  
Old 03-16-20, 10:21 AM
  #45  
qclabrat
Senior Member
 
qclabrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,373
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by Armyguy1914 View Post
Questions I ran into 2 bikes I may want. what you guys think of both of them???? Pros and cons Giant Bike 2019 and they want$ 2300 and Specialized they want $3200
Im on the fence so I need some help since Im still new to riding.


https://www.pinkbike.com/news/2017-s...irst-look.html


https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/revie...ance-29-2-2019
Specialized retweaked their linkage, in 2019? I think
Which model enduro? parts add up, esp good wheels
qclabrat is offline  
Old 03-16-20, 04:46 PM
  #46  
theraddude
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Im looking for a new mtb too. I just bought a new jamis dragon slayer sport for 700 beans. The bike is exactly what i wanted but my nuts were grinding all over the top tube.. 17" frame of that particular bike is kinda too big for me . My buddy was very interested in the bike and i can sell it for a cool 600. He ws just hesitant because of coronavirus fears. Hes not so eager to drop that kinda change when the future of the pandemic apocalyptic shiz is so uncertain. He works in public transportation..

anyway, im in the market as well. I basically need a good mtb with low standover clearance . 29" or less. 28" would be good for me.. im also digging the bikes with plus tires. Seems like a good thing to have. Plus they look kinda knarly.
theraddude is offline  
Old 03-16-20, 09:30 PM
  #47  
HerrKaLeun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 1,912

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 895 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 162 Posts
I wonder if the people badmouthing bikesdirect have one?
I have had a BD fatbike for 3 years. It was s mediumpriced one. At the time it cost maybe half of a comparable LBS bike. The local LBS either didn't have demo bikes, or just in the wrong size to ride in the parking lot. Testriding is the only tangible advantage, and they didn't provide.

Assembly is less than 15 minutes. Put frontwheel in, adjust stem. I think RD needed a minor adjustment. I also took BB, headset etc apart because everyone said it needs lube. BS, everything was as expected. Components were equal or better to the LBS bikes. Frame is much better made, by Kinesis in Taiwan.

The geometry is now (3 years later) dated and I'm upgrading to RSD frame. But at the time it was an average geometry fatbike. Sad since the frame quality is excellent. It is a 197mm frame, which wasn't standard for lower LBS bikes then.

Somoene mentioned for suspension you need LBS. I'm sure an LBS will take your money for either brand you bring in.

At least for fatbikes my impression is BD value stayed similar, and other brands improved. Smaller delta now. But for a lower to medium level bike they provide good value.

For geometry you need to look and compare what you need. You may or may not like certain geometry aspects. One can't make a blanket statement that Trek has better geometry.

One other good thing about BD is they don't have proprietary or fad standards. Good old threaded BB, regular headsets. Easy to service, or replace.

Someone mentioned hangers. LBS doesn't have hangers. They need to order them from the same place you can. Or order from ebay et al. My fatbike came with a spare hanger, though.

Yes as part of my progression as a rider I'm moving on to a higher priced brand (still manufacturer direct), but would recommend BD for the level they are.

Last edited by HerrKaLeun; 03-16-20 at 09:34 PM.
HerrKaLeun is offline  
Old 03-17-20, 08:50 AM
  #48  
qclabrat
Senior Member
 
qclabrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,373
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by theraddude View Post
Im looking for a new mtb too. I just bought a new jamis dragon slayer sport for 700 beans. The bike is exactly what i wanted but my nuts were grinding all over the top tube.. 17" frame of that particular bike is kinda too big for me . My buddy was very interested in the bike and i can sell it for a cool 600. He ws just hesitant because of coronavirus fears. Hes not so eager to drop that kinda change when the future of the pandemic apocalyptic shiz is so uncertain. He works in public transportation..

anyway, im in the market as well. I basically need a good mtb with low standover clearance . 29" or less. 28" would be good for me.. im also digging the bikes with plus tires. Seems like a good thing to have. Plus they look kinda knarly.
Have you considered small tires, I know it defeats the purpose of the 26+ concept, but a 2.5-2.6 tire may drop the tire size enough to clear the top tube better.
Also dropping the frame may give you more pedal strikes if that's a concern. If the rest of the bike fits, it may be worth the small investment in tires.
qclabrat is offline  
Old 03-17-20, 09:01 AM
  #49  
qclabrat
Senior Member
 
qclabrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,373
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun View Post
I wonder if the people badmouthing bikesdirect have one?
I have had a BD fatbike for 3 years. It was s mediumpriced one. At the time it cost maybe half of a comparable LBS bike. The local LBS either didn't have demo bikes, or just in the wrong size to ride in the parking lot. Testriding is the only tangible advantage, and they didn't provide.

Assembly is less than 15 minutes. Put frontwheel in, adjust stem. I think RD needed a minor adjustment. I also took BB, headset etc apart because everyone said it needs lube. BS, everything was as expected. Components were equal or better to the LBS bikes. Frame is much better made, by Kinesis in Taiwan.

The geometry is now (3 years later) dated and I'm upgrading to RSD frame. But at the time it was an average geometry fatbike. Sad since the frame quality is excellent. It is a 197mm frame, which wasn't standard for lower LBS bikes then.

Somoene mentioned for suspension you need LBS. I'm sure an LBS will take your money for either brand you bring in.

At least for fatbikes my impression is BD value stayed similar, and other brands improved. Smaller delta now. But for a lower to medium level bike they provide good value.

For geometry you need to look and compare what you need. You may or may not like certain geometry aspects. One can't make a blanket statement that Trek has better geometry.

One other good thing about BD is they don't have proprietary or fad standards. Good old threaded BB, regular headsets. Easy to service, or replace.

Someone mentioned hangers. LBS doesn't have hangers. They need to order them from the same place you can. Or order from ebay et al. My fatbike came with a spare hanger, though.

Yes as part of my progression as a rider I'm moving on to a higher priced brand (still manufacturer direct), but would recommend BD for the level they are.
I don't disagree with you that the BD bikes are certainly price leaders, but if you plan to sell the Sturgis, or really any fat bike at the moment, expect a huge depreciation or low interest.
One of my friends bought a carbon Motobecane with eTap to strip for the parts, but in the end could only give the frame away for $100 (he thought he could get at least 300). There are many like you and my friend who look beyond BD for upgrades so their brands have completely flooded the market. Btw, did you get the V4 RSD Mayor? I couple guys I ride with got it this year and love the new geo. On the other spectrum, another friend couldn't sell his almost new V3 with X01, Hope wheels, and extra tires for a tad over 1K. He ended up donating the frame to a local contest in our forum. Still nothing wrong with BD bikes.
qclabrat is offline  
Old 03-17-20, 09:55 AM
  #50  
HerrKaLeun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 1,912

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 895 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 162 Posts
Originally Posted by qclabrat View Post
I don't disagree with you that the BD bikes are certainly price leaders, but if you plan to sell the Sturgis, or really any fat bike at the moment, expect a huge depreciation or low interest.
One of my friends bought a carbon Motobecane with eTap to strip for the parts, but in the end could only give the frame away for $100 (he thought he could get at least 300). There are many like you and my friend who look beyond BD for upgrades so their brands have completely flooded the market. Btw, did you get the V4 RSD Mayor? I couple guys I ride with got it this year and love the new geo. On the other spectrum, another friend couldn't sell his almost new V3 with X01, Hope wheels, and extra tires for a tad over 1K. He ended up donating the frame to a local contest in our forum. Still nothing wrong with BD bikes.
I think buying a bike hoping for good resale is a fool's errand no matter the brand. First, as a buyer i would be suspicious if someone buys a new bike and sells it - must be something wrong with it.
I paid for my FB $1,100. At the time comparable fatties cost $2,000 or above. I'm pretty sure a 3 year old Specialized fatbike with the largely outdated 1x10 and crappy hubs would yield a lot these days. Maybe $1,000. So my total bike cost as much as the depreciation on the LBS bike. At the time having tubeless ready rims and tires also was a special thing you didn't get on lower level LBS bikes.
This is probably moot, since I added XT drivetrain, AB ring, M6000 brakes, Jones bar, dropper, Brooks saddle, bitex rear hub..... if I sold it as is, no one would give me nearly of what it cost. but I will transfer the good parts to the new fatbike. I may try to sell the bare frame, or maybe throw old parts on it and sell as a bike. If I had made similar upgrades to a Trek, also no one would give me what it is worth.
Once I transferred everything the only original parts will be the crank and BB. So will this still be my original bike? :-)

Yes, I bought the Mayor v4 and it will arrive today. I contemplated what your friend did and buy a complete bike to swap those parts to my old Motobecane frame or sell separately. But didn't think it would pay, and would have the hassle and upfront cost. I'm personally not a SRAM firend and mso tpeople upgrade from the NX/LEvel T, so I assume the used market is flooded with that SRAM stuff anyway. I'm also isolating from corona, so for the next weeks/months I won't sell anything anyway. I think another problem your friend ran into is over-speccing a cheap bike. i bought my fatbike in the cheapest configuration with that frame. they had options several hundred $ more with higher level drivetrain, CF fork etc. but then you run into Canyon/RSD/YT territory for cost.

Funny thinks is, the low level LBS bikes (some even have freewheels, in 2020) are worse than BD bikes. but as soon as you write Trek on it, they sell. I restored a Trek FX hybrid. Really low level frame quality, ****ty components, really lowest level one could imagine. My BD bike is 1000 miles ahead of that. but it doesn't have the name....

If you think re-sale, you are not thinking long term. I have no illusions my Mayor that I'm building up now will give me money back if I sold it tomorrow. i now know my riding, my area, my skills, and hope the mayor will be good for a long time. Will upgrade wheels, maybe 12 speed, and so on. If resale is your goal, buy stocks.

Edit: I just weighed the Mayor and the Motobecane frames. the Motobecane is about 365g lighter. So there goes the argument BD bikes are heavy. I assume the Mayor's sliding dropout and large clearance yoke are responsible for most of the difference. So for pure aluminum/hydroforming technology I'd say it is a wash.

Last edited by HerrKaLeun; 03-17-20 at 12:15 PM.
HerrKaLeun is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.