Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Buying a hardtail advice

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Buying a hardtail advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-20, 01:59 PM
weight4it

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Buying a hardtail advice

I'm looking for tips on buying a 2nd hand hardtail,

I went to view a strongly spec'd boardman 650b today, featuring expensive drivetrain parts inc. a dropper seatpost fitted - what a fantastic invention!

negatives:
1. it had upgraded forks, however the lock-out wasn't working - is it possible to get them 'repaired', the owner said that tokens had been fitted inside the fork tubes.
the dial for rebound was also quite tight I couldn't really test it out.

Should I negotiate a discount based on the fork needing attention?

2. hairline crack in the paint near the join of top-tube to seat tube. Not sure if it was just the paint, should I be concerned?

Other than that it felt really nice to ride.

This will be my first suspension bike, I don't want a 29er just yet, but keen to get 26 or 27.5, mainly for doing wheelies!

It seems only the FS version has Rockshox Sektor forks, however I want a hardtail, so ideally the spec. of the Boardman Pro 29er looks very good, but I want smaller wheels,

is there a smaller wheeled version of this, with Rockshox forks? I take it I could always upgrade the fork in the future.
Old 02-16-20, 09:05 PM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by weight4it
I'm looking for tips on buying a 2nd hand hardtail,

I went to view a strongly spec'd boardman 650b today, featuring expensive drivetrain parts inc. a dropper seatpost fitted - what a fantastic invention!

negatives:
1. it had upgraded forks, however the lock-out wasn't working - is it possible to get them 'repaired', the owner said that tokens had been fitted inside the fork tubes.
the dial for rebound was also quite tight I couldn't really test it out.

Should I negotiate a discount based on the fork needing attention?

2. hairline crack in the paint near the join of top-tube to seat tube. Not sure if it was just the paint, should I be concerned?

Other than that it felt really nice to ride.

This will be my first suspension bike, I don't want a 29er just yet, but keen to get 26 or 27.5, mainly for doing wheelies!

It seems only the FS version has Rockshox Sektor forks, however I want a hardtail, so ideally the spec. of the Boardman Pro 29er looks very good, but I want smaller wheels,

is there a smaller wheeled version of this, with Rockshox forks? I take it I could always upgrade the fork in the future.
hairline crack? walk
Likes For qclabrat:
Old 03-06-20, 05:01 AM
weight4it

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That's exactly what I did, I think the guy selling the bike knew it too, someone else bought it in the end. It was local so no sweat.

I got an old Whyte 26er in the end, it's got a Fox Float and a Rockshox dropper, a good introduction to the world of MTB :-)
Likes For weight4it:
Old 03-06-20, 10:04 AM
qclabrat

Originally Posted by weight4it
That's exactly what I did, I think the guy selling the bike knew it too, someone else bought it in the end. It was local so no sweat.

I got an old Whyte 26er in the end, it's got a Fox Float and a Rockshox dropper, a good introduction to the world of MTB :-)
pics or it didn't happen....
Old 03-23-20, 06:03 AM
weight4it

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well I ended up getting two, 1. Large 2. Medium.

the second was a slightly better fit than the first and a good price... so the plan is to sell the Large however now I'm tempted to keep it, as of yesterday I spotted the Medium frame paint chip and cracked paint along the weld of the top tube to seat tube... see photos below.

I booked the bike straight in for a bottom bracket change at my local bike shop last week, they were so busy it's not going in until this week.

Yesterday I went for a ride and on the way back I noticed a paint chip on the top tube to seat tube weld. Now I'm concerned about this visible crack in the paint - what do you guys think?

No idea if it's OK to keep riding or not, let alone is it worth spending any money on a new BB?

no flash

flash on

Last edited by weight4it; 03-23-20 at 07:57 AM.
Old 03-23-20, 10:39 AM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 137 Posts
Looks like a paint chip to me. I’d wonder if something smacked it there. I kind of doubt it’s a weld crack, but I’m not a structural engineer either.

Last edited by Wileyrat; 03-23-20 at 10:44 AM.
Old 03-24-20, 03:13 PM
weight4it

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks Wileyrat, you and three independent opinions from local bike shops seem to agree it's just a paint chip. I've got it booked in for a new BB and general service. Feel like I should be painting over it but I guess it adds to the charm.
Old 03-26-20, 06:10 PM
qclabrat

which Whyte are they? Don't see many of them by me
Old 03-29-20, 02:48 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 137 Posts
I'd probably touch it up, assuming the rest of the paint looks good.