Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

New to Recumbent Bikes...Would Appreciate Advice

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-20, 11:29 AM
Scubaquarius

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts

Hi,

My wife is 65 yo. Last year she developed balance issues and I would like to get her a recumbent trike. But I don't have much knowledge about them....what to buy,
quality wise, and so forth.

Our one local dealer sells Sun Seeker recumbent trikes but is backordered till September. I would very much appreciate your help with some information:
(1) is Sun Seeker a decent recumbent trike and
(2) Any other brands you may suggest for someone new to recumbents, still wanting a degree of quality.

Thank you for your help,
Scubaquarius
Old 07-14-20, 11:37 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4365 Post(s)
Liked 3,001 Times in 1,854 Posts
I'm not the resident expert, but I just bought a Catrike Eola (see recent thread). From the point of view of manufacturing and design, I'd say it's a quality product.

BUT, it's low to the ground and I wonder if getting in and out of it could be an issue for somebody with balance issues.
Old 07-14-20, 11:56 AM
Scubaquarius

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Thanks so much for the recommendation. I'll consider the low to the ground issue...could be difficult for her.

Happy cycling,
Scubaquarius
Old 07-14-20, 06:15 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
As a rule of thumb, tadpole trikes (2 wheels in front) are generally lower to the ground than delta trikes (2 wheels in back.) Tadpole trikes are the most popular style, at least in the US, because they're more stable. It's harder to tip them in turns.

Sun/Sunseeker is more toward the low-price end of the spectrum. Their advantages are that they have many models to choose from, their components are good for the price point, and any bike shop with a J&B catalog can order one for you. The disadvantage is that they tend to weight much more than their competition. That alone disqualifies them from serious enthusiast riding, although they're fine for shorter, low-speed stuff like trails/MUPs.
Likes For BlazingPedals: