Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

A little Disc Help Pls

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

A little Disc Help Pls

Old 09-25-20, 02:38 AM
daviddavieboy

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 104 Posts
A little Disc Help Pls

I am not sure what forum this question should go in but I THINK this is the best as this bike is closer to a MTB than a road bike. It has 160mm rotors with mechanical TRP spyre calipers and TRP RRL levers (frame up build).

How easily is it to install larger rotors? Is it ONLY a matter of getting different adapters to raise the caliper and install larger rotors? Currently the rear is post mount and the front is 'IS' mount and LOTS of room for a larger rotor to fit front and back.
Old 09-25-20, 07:37 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2970 Post(s)
Liked 1,177 Times in 768 Posts
Question is...why do yo want larger rotors?
Old 09-25-20, 08:42 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by daviddavieboy
How easily is it to install larger rotors? Is it ONLY a matter of getting different adapters to raise the caliper and install larger rotors? Currently the rear is post mount and the front is 'IS' mount and LOTS of room for a larger rotor to fit front and back.
yes
Old 09-25-20, 11:32 AM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
You need to check and see if your fork can handle a bigger rotor. Physically you can slap a 203mm on there but the fork might not be strong enough to handle the leverage increase. Pretty much any mountain bike can handle larger rotors but a hybrid/road bike not so much.
Old 09-26-20, 04:16 AM
daviddavieboy

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
yes
Originally Posted by Canker
You need to check and see if your fork can handle a bigger rotor. Physically you can slap a 203mm on there but the fork might not be strong enough to handle the leverage increase. Pretty much any mountain bike can handle larger rotors but a hybrid/road bike not so much.
Will check it out. It is a 920 Trek. On a couple hills they seemed VERY hot and this is just with me on it (210 lbs) and no touring load. I have never installed disc brakes before so this is all new to me.

Last edited by daviddavieboy; 09-26-20 at 04:17 AM. Reason: spelling corrections
Old 09-26-20, 08:24 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 473 Posts
Brake rotors get hot when you use them, regardless of the rotor size. This is from the 180 rotor on my mountain bike after a moderate downhill.
Likes For dsaul:
Old 09-26-20, 10:24 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
Nice bike, I had never heard of it until now. Brakes get hot, don't grab ahold of the rotor and you'll be fine. Come to think of it, I don't know why you would want to.
Old 09-26-20, 08:48 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by daviddavieboy
I am not sure what forum this question should go in but I THINK this is the best as this bike is closer to a MTB than a road bike. It has 160mm rotors with mechanical TRP spyre calipers and TRP RRL levers (frame up build).

Yes, as long as the frame and/or fork is rated for a larger rotor, you just need the adaptor (and rotor).