Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Gearbox Brands- Zerode vs Deviate

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-20, 09:06 PM
hoovbikes

Bikes: 2017 GT Grade Carbon Sram Force, 2014 Globe Roll 8 (w riser bars), 2015 All City Space Horse (cantilever)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm currently entertaining the idea of buying a Taniwha but am still in the prospecting phase. As far as gearbox bikes go, the Taniwha and the Deviate Highlander seem to be the most intriguing to me thusfar, although I'm sure there are others out there as well that I'm not aware of (fwiw I would be looking at the Deviate Guide but sadly they've discontinued it..).

I'm pretty sold on all of the major differences between this kind of bike and your standard external drivetrain set up but my question is regarding the anti squat differences between the Taniwha and the Highlander- obv the Highlander uses a high pivot suspension set up whereas the Taniwha does not. Zerode's website notes that anti squat is already improved on their bikes compared to traditional set ups, but I'm wondering how much of a difference there is between theirs and a full on high pivot bike like the Highlander (or even other non-gearbox high pivot bikes, like the Forbidden Druid or Craftworks ENR). Anybody have any experience comparing the two?
Old 12-10-20, 07:47 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
I have not heard of these systems or these companies so I had to do a Google search. you are really thinking outside the box with these.

they certainly look like they have high-end construction. I hope somebody can chime in because I am somewhat interested from a techno geek standpoint. Personally I have not found enough performance drawbacks with my eagle drive train to be of much use in an evaluation myself but I am curious about a terrain or situation where this would be better

Just an opinion but it would seem the drag from the high pivot set up would negate the possible benefits of this belt drive drive train
Old 12-14-20, 02:13 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
Originally Posted by hoovbikes
I'm currently entertaining the idea of buying a Taniwha but am still in the prospecting phase. As far as gearbox bikes go, the Taniwha and the Deviate Highlander seem to be the most intriguing to me thusfar...
The Highlander isn't a gearbox bike.