Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Need a Damn Nice Mountain Bike, What's a Good Brand/Model?

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 02-07-21, 01:34 PM
Cheez

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 30 Posts

Hi guys,
I have an old Raleigh M80 mountain bike but because my life has been so hard and painful I need a nice bike for a relief. I don't know how old my current bike is exactly, it has 8 cogs on the rear and is Shinano STX. The bike is pretty heavy too, and looks ugly.
I saw a list of famous bike brand names such as Cannondale, Trek, Specialized, Giant, Diamondback, Fuji, Raleigh...and the high ends from, Bianchi, Colnago, Pinarello, etc. Is Santa Cruz good brand really good?
A lot of stimulus checks are coming and I am looking to buy a nice mountain bike that is light and is good performance. My budget is from $1600 to $3000.. What's a good bike out there that is not too overpriced? Like good bang for the buck? And suggestions on what componentry/groupset? What are the good ones? Look I can't afford a $12000 mountain bike I would like to have it but I got other things to spend to take care of myself.

Thanks😄

Last edited by Cheez; 02-07-21 at 01:37 PM.
Old 02-07-21, 01:42 PM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 28 Posts
Oh boy
Likes For Outrider1:
Old 02-07-21, 01:53 PM
Cheez

Originally Posted by Outrider1 View Post
Oh boy
Can you be more specific? What do you mean oh boy. Recommendation on mountain bikes? I am not sure which one to go with...many selections out there but I don't wanna having to find out I got the wrong one.
Old 02-07-21, 02:17 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 44 Posts
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but "$1600 to $3000" will get you into the decent low end of mountain bikes. You may already have noticed that your Local Bicycle Shop has sod all in stock and will not be getting anything that is not already sold until... a long time from now.

Santa Cruz makes very nice bikes, but you will not find a new full suspension bike from them for under $3000.

So...How do you define a "damn nice bike"?

Option 1: Chain Reaction Cycles: A UK based web dealer sells bikes that have gotten very good reviews. They have a couple of full suspension bikes under $3000.

Option 2: Chinese online bike manufacturers. I bought an ICAN Fat Bike and am pleased with it, but their mountain bikes start around $3500. For that you get Shimano Deore 12 speed gears, Shimano Deore brakes, carbon wheels built on Novatec hubs, a dropper post, etc. So the low end of good equipment.

Option 3: Get a hardtail. You can get a Santa Cruz hardtail in your price range if you can find one, and it will be a nice bike, but to meet that price point it will have aluminum rims.
Likes For DangerousDanR:
Old 02-07-21, 02:28 PM
shelbyfv
Banned.

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2151 Post(s)
Liked 1,973 Times in 1,066 Posts
Been awhile.... Look at the Specialized Chisel if you are serious.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 02-07-21, 02:37 PM
shelbyfv
Banned.

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2151 Post(s)
Liked 1,973 Times in 1,066 Posts
Also, there is an entire MTB section if you would like to have this moved. https://www.bikeforums.net/mountain-biking/
Old 02-07-21, 03:51 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1534 Post(s)
Liked 1,041 Times in 714 Posts
What kind of mountain bike riding are you planning on?
Riding around town and a few light trails? I'd suggest an old Raleigh M80
Likes For dedhed:
Old 02-07-21, 03:54 PM
Cheez

Thanks, I noticed my butt hurts even going over small bumps in my Raleigh mountain bike. Is hardtail the front suspension-only? I didn't know. Yeah I "would" like to have full suspension, but is not required.. I will take a look at Chain Reaction bikes... I don't want ICAN Chinese bikes I don't like too much Chinese.
What are the weights in the $1600- 3000 mountain bikes?
Old 02-07-21, 03:59 PM
Cheez

Originally Posted by dedhed View Post
What kind of mountain bike riding are you planning on?
Riding around town and a few light trails?
Some on road pavements, mostly the sidewalk, and 10% trail... To get to my shed it's about one block of trail.
I'd suggest an old Raleigh M80
That's what I already have🙄
Old 02-07-21, 04:06 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 171 Posts
What I would do if I were looking for a new bike is first research the genre and determine what your 'must haves' are. Do you want full suspension? Yes (for you) Do you want a 3x8 groupset? Or would you prefer 2x9, or 2x12? Or a single front chain ring with a nice wide range on the rear cassette? (11x42 would be nice) How much travel in the front forks? Depends on what type of riding you plan on doing. Disk brakes, or rim brakes? (disk if you're smart). So many options. Prioritize and then go searching. I personally own a Giant FS w/disk brakes. If I had my druthers it would be a Santa Cruz, but the trails around here are more like slash roads (ATVs keep them worn smooth) so I can't justify the upgrade. You will want a dropper seat post or at the least a quick release style clamp because you will be moving your seat up and down a lot as you explore different trails and riding conditions. We haven't even gotten to pedals yet. Lots to think about and research. Good luck,
Old 02-07-21, 04:13 PM
Chad991

Bikes: Lynsky Helix Pro

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 28 Posts
Santa Cruz Chameleon 29er or 27.5(29er for me, fun) with sram eagle 1x12....this bike will seem like a dream ride coming from your old one and less than 3 grand, closer to 2 probably. Probably more bike than you will need from your description.
Likes For Chad991:
Old 02-07-21, 04:15 PM
Cheez

Originally Posted by Bigbus View Post
What I would do if I were looking for a new bike is first research the genre and determine what your 'must haves' are. Do you want full suspension? Yes (for you) Do you want a 3x8 groupset? Or would you prefer 2x9, or 2x12? Or a single front chain ring with a nice wide range on the rear cassette? (11x42 would be nice) How much travel in the front forks? Depends on what type of riding you plan on doing. Disk brakes, or rim brakes? (disk if you're smart). So many options. Prioritize and then go searching. I personally own a Giant FS w/disk brakes. If I had my druthers it would be a Santa Cruz, but the trails around here are more like slash roads (ATVs keep them worn smooth) so I can't justify the upgrade. You will want a dropper seat post or at the least a quick release style clamp because you will be moving your seat up and down a lot as you explore different trails and riding conditions. We haven't even gotten to pedals yet. Lots to think about and research. Good luck,
I want a long tearing for high speed.. Want to be able to go 30 mph when I want to. Would two chainrings offer gearing in that range? As for pedals just the regular old fashioned pedals as I don't want to change shoes just to ride my bike🙂

Last edited by Cheez; 02-07-21 at 04:22 PM.
Old 02-07-21, 04:21 PM
Cheez

Originally Posted by Chad991 View Post
Santa Cruz Chameleon 29er or 27.5(29er for me, fun) with sram eagle 1x12....this bike will seem like a dream ride coming from your old one and less than 3 grand, closer to 2 probably. Probably more bike than you will need from your description.
What's the difference between 29" wheels and 27.5"? I think my Raleigh bike is 27.5 and I feel it's the right size for me. What benefit do you get with the 29s? I'm still trying to figure that out.🤔 .Yeah those Santa Cruz bikes look sexy. Currently the Santa and Cannondale are in my heart...but I don't know how good Cannondale is with the mountain bikes. They make real good road bikes.
Old 02-07-21, 04:38 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1200 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 231 Posts
Originally Posted by Cheez View Post
Some on road pavements, mostly the sidewalk, and 10% trail... To get to my shed it's about one block of trail.

If that is your intended usage, you don't need (though you may want) a mountainbike. Just do a few updates on your Raleigh, and call it a day.
Old 02-07-21, 04:45 PM
Bald Paul

Bikes: ICAN w/ Di2, Fezzari

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 31 Posts
What's the difference between 29" wheels and 27.5"?
About 1.5"

Seriously, you may want to consider something used. Maybe the Pros Closet?

Last edited by Bald Paul; 02-07-21 at 04:49 PM.
Old 02-07-21, 04:46 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 202 Times in 141 Posts
Hi guys,
I have an old Raleigh M80 mountain bike but because my life has been so hard and painful I need a nice bike for a relief. I don't know how old my current bike is exactly, it has 8 cogs on the rear and is Shinano STX. The bike is pretty heavy too, and looks ugly.
I saw a list of famous bike brand names such as Cannondale, Trek, Specialized, Giant, Diamondback, Fuji, Raleigh...and the high ends from, Bianchi, Colnago, Pinarello, etc. Is Santa Cruz good brand really good?
A lot of stimulus checks are coming and I am looking to buy a nice mountain bike that is light and is good performance. My budget is from $1600 to $3000.. What's a good bike out there that is not too overpriced? Like good bang for the buck? And suggestions on what componentry/groupset? What are the good ones? Look I can't afford a $12000 mountain bike I would like to have it but I got other things to spend to take care of myself.

Thanks😄
crazy range....what u looking to do with it.
$2k bike is great
Old 02-07-21, 04:49 PM
ARider2

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 44 Posts
If you are ready to spend up to $3,000 then I suggest you check out your local bicycle shop to see what your options are and test drive the bikes. Mountain bikes have changed a lot since the Raleigh M80 and you may find a perfectly acceptable mountain bike for a lot less money than what you have in mind given your stated needs. Unless you are ready to risk getting a bike that is not the right one (either type, size, fit or whatever) you may consider shopping local rather than on the internet. You may pay less on the internet but it will not come with the kind of support you may need.
Old 02-07-21, 04:50 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 201 Posts
😂 Would love to build up a Chinese open mold XC bike, try and hit 16lbs or something. Oh well I'm all in on gravel.
Old 02-07-21, 05:10 PM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, '85 Cannondale SR900, Marin Hawk Hill SE, Giant OCR1

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts

Yeah, thatís the joke!

Letís see, you ďdon't like too much Chinese.Ē
... you think you have a 27.5Ē bike (I believe itís a 26Ē, but anyway look on the tire sidewalls and itíll tell you for sure) ...

so tire size is likely not that important for you... and you want a full-sus bike if possible...

so find some used deals, throw up links to the ads and people will tell you what they think re: condition & value.
Or work with an LBS and see what your budget gets you, and decide if itís enough of an upgrade over your Raleigh M80.
Old 02-07-21, 05:39 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 139 Posts
You don’t post a lot but when you do! I appreciate it.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 02-07-21, 05:47 PM
cb400bill
High Derolic Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL 2.1 Carbon, Cannondale Synapse Alloy, Trek 710

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 2276 Post(s)
Liked 2,425 Times in 1,501 Posts
Thread moved from General Cycling Discussion to Mountain Biking.

Old 02-07-21, 05:53 PM
hsuBM

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 75 Posts
That budget and use trend seems best suited to a new paint job, new wheel set, new Brooks Flyer saddle, and some fancy Rene Herse Rat Trap tires.
Old 02-07-21, 06:02 PM
DMC707 

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 213 Posts
Hi guys,

Is Santa Cruz good brand really good?

Thanks😄
yes - Santa Cruz is a really good brand. A new one will make your life less hard and less painful

but I really like Specializeds lineup too - it would be hard to go wrong with an aluminum frame Epic or Stumpjumper. They make the Chisel down at the lower end of your price point too.
Trek has the Roscoe which is a very cool hardtail also

i love the smaller boutique brands (Pivot, Santa Cruz, Yeti, ibis etc) but ihave a Specialized road bike and have to admit, i think they spend more on engineering (marketing too) than anybody else out there and i think they set a benchmark in most of their product categories .
Old 02-07-21, 07:26 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1534 Post(s)
Liked 1,041 Times in 714 Posts
Some on road pavements, mostly the sidewalk, and 10% trail... To get to my shed it's about one block of trail. That's what I already have🙄
Road, sidewalks, 1 block of light trail sounds like old hardtail territory to me
Likes For dedhed:
Old 02-07-21, 07:48 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 44 Posts
Thanks, ... I don't want ICAN Chinese bikes I don't like too much Chinese.
All the major brands of mountain bike are made in China or Taiwan. Some of the smaller brands are too. My Lynskey was made in the USA. The hubs are from the UK. Saddle is a Brooks from the UK as well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.