Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Need a Damn Nice Mountain Bike, What's a Good Brand/Model?

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Need a Damn Nice Mountain Bike, What's a Good Brand/Model?

Old 02-07-21, 08:00 PM
Cheez

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed View Post
Road, sidewalks, 1 block of light trail sounds like old hardtail territory to me
That sounds like my Raleigh M80🤔

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged View Post
You don’t post a lot but when you do! I appreciate it.
Thanks ☺️

Guys, here are two bikes I looked at and are very tempting.
$2799 Santa Cruz mountain bike - https://www.coloradocyclist.com/santa-cruz-highball-cr
$1600 Cannondale mountain bike - https://www.cannondale.com/en-us/bik...ku=c26200m10xs

Man that $2799 Santa Cruz looks HOT! THE $1600 Cannondale looks very nice too!
But God stepped in and cried when I was trying to go for the $2799 Santa Cruz. He does NOT want me to get it. He was against it 100%.😥 So I wanted to lean toward the $1600 Cannondale bike and he kind of accepted it but with a little bit of sad face😪. He said you can have it but I can't have a nice electric scooter later down the road. God says he wishes for me to forget buying a new mountain bike, not even the $650 one. But he says I'm more than welcome to replace the chain, a new seat and seatpost on my old Raleigh M80 bike. I can change out the cables as I already have high end Campagnolo wireset. I said ok let me think about it.😐
Old 02-07-21, 08:03 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1754 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 303 Posts
Cheez, God says you are a total waste of time, and would prefer you do your own shopping.
Likes For trailangel:
Old 02-07-21, 08:18 PM
Chris Pringle

Bikes: '12 Rodriguez UTB Custom, '83 Miyata 610, '83 Nishiki Century Mixte (Work of Art), '06 Specialized Epic Marathon MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel View Post
Cheez, God says you are a total waste of time, and would prefer you do your own shopping.
LOL. You can tell the OP is just trolling. No wonder the first response he got was “Oh boy!” He must be suffering from Covid boredom.
Likes For Chris Pringle:
Old 02-07-21, 08:20 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), Cilo Road Frame, Proteus frame, Ti 26 MTB

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2133 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 742 Posts
So it sounds like a mountain bike is the wrong bike for you. If you want something with wider tires a gravel bike makes most sense and you can run a slicker tire which is what you will want for road riding. Sidewalks are excellent for walking and do a fine bit for jogging and moonwalking as well but cycling is best done on the road or cycling friendly trails. Sidewalks are good for emergencies or rare occasions when you cannot ride on the road for some odd reason.

These are a few bikes I might recommend looking at the small bits of info I can glean:
https://allcitycycles.com/bikes/cosmic_stallion_grx
https://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/renegades2.html
https://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/sequels2.html

Though you could also build up something from a frame up and have a pretty rad ride. However if the budget is low there is not a ton of space to go.

Again though mountain bikes are for mountain biking. A fully rigid bike would be fine but as you get really wide tires you get some drag and anything with suspension is just going to slow you down as well and you really don't need it. That one block of trails you ride aren't what you should be looking for in your new bike. At best you just ride whatever bike you get and at worst you walk a block with your bike. I don't buy bikes for tiny sections, I want a bike that works best for at least 80% of the conditions it will see normally. If I am outgunned I can always walk or find away around or just ride it and live on the edge. Heck mountain biking in the U.S. started with people riding old coaster brake klunkers down a mountain and they all survived.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 02-07-21, 08:49 PM
DeadGrandpa
Philosopher of Bicycling

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Cheez View Post
That sounds like my Raleigh M80🤔

Thanks ☺️

Guys, here are two bikes I looked at and are very tempting.
$2799 Santa Cruz mountain bike - https://www.coloradocyclist.com/santa-cruz-highball-cr
$1600 Cannondale mountain bike - https://www.cannondale.com/en-us/bik...ku=c26200m10xs

Man that $2799 Santa Cruz looks HOT! THE $1600 Cannondale looks very nice too!
But God stepped in and cried when I was trying to go for the $2799 Santa Cruz. He does NOT want me to get it. He was against it 100%.😥 So I wanted to lean toward the $1600 Cannondale bike and he kind of accepted it but with a little bit of sad face😪. He said you can have it but I can't have a nice electric scooter later down the road. God says he wishes for me to forget buying a new mountain bike, not even the $650 one. But he says I'm more than welcome to replace the chain, a new seat and seatpost on my old Raleigh M80 bike. I can change out the cables as I already have high end Campagnolo wireset. I said ok let me think about it.😐
Dude, I don't know if you know what you want or need, but for 80% or more paved road riding, you don't need a full suspension bike, or even, in my opinion, do you need a hardtail. You want a rigid plus bike for knarly gravel and rutty road surfaces or basically anything else but manicured gravel and pavement. If you ride mostly pavement, get a Jamis Renegade, whichever frame material you can afford. Or a Giant Revolt of some sort. A plus bike can totally compensate for lack of suspension on trails in the back country, which it does not appear that you need in the first place. On the other hand, my Jamis Renegade performs well (if slowly) on 700x40 Schwalbe Marathon tires, on both pavement and a variety of gravel. The Giant Revolt accepts a slightly wider tire, I believe, which is not necessarily a detriment on pavement. If you ride mostly pavement, you don't need a mountain bike, you need a gravel bike.
Old 02-08-21, 10:27 AM
Chris Pringle

Bikes: '12 Rodriguez UTB Custom, '83 Miyata 610, '83 Nishiki Century Mixte (Work of Art), '06 Specialized Epic Marathon MTB

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 15 Posts
Oh boy!
Likes For Chris Pringle:
Old 02-08-21, 10:50 AM
shelbyfv
Banned.

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2151 Post(s)
Liked 1,973 Times in 1,066 Posts
This isn't the first rodeo, folks can find the others if they care to search. That's my PSA and my last post in this thread.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 02-08-21, 11:10 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 271 Posts
My budget is from $1600 to $3000.. What's a good bike out there that is not too overpriced? Like good bang for the buck? And suggestions on what componentry/groupset? What are the good ones? Look I can't afford a $12000 mountain bike I would like to have it but I got other things to spend to take care of myself.
first, that's a healthy budget for a mid-range mountain bike. you'll stretch your dollar further if you go hardtail.
second, almost no one spends $12,000 on a bicycle. industry media would like you to think that's common, but it's very rare. it's fun to drool over stuff like that, but very few people can justify that just like the number of people who buy a Maserati are very few.

edit: just read the rest of this thread and it's getting weird. I'll quietly back out and hope I don't get sucked in.
Likes For mack_turtle:
Old 02-08-21, 11:11 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1200 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 231 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv View Post
This isn't the first rodeo, folks can find the others if they care to search. That's my PSA and my last post in this thread.
Agree. At some point, the impulse to preserve one's sanity (and 'good standing' here on teh Biek Forms [Winter issue]) must prevail over temptation. I find this a constant struggle.
Likes For badger1:
Old 02-08-21, 02:08 PM
DMC707 

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 213 Posts
Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
first, that's a healthy budget for a mid-range mountain bike. you'll stretch your dollar further if you go hardtail.
second, almost no one spends $12,000 on a bicycle. industry media would like you to think that's common, but it's very rare. it's fun to drool over stuff like that, but very few people can justify that just like the number of people who buy a Maserati are very few.

edit: just read the rest of this thread and it's getting weird. I'll quietly back out and hope I don't get sucked in.

oh i would so gladly spend 12k on a mountainbike orhigh end road bike if i could !

but even if i had Maserati money, i think id rather have an old Bronco (mid school big body style, not the little ones that cost a fortune also)

but thread did take an odd turn when OP invoked the Holy Spirit.
Likes For DMC707:
Old 02-08-21, 02:18 PM
mack_turtle
n00b

The Holy Spirit descended upon me while traveling the gravel road to Damascus and an angel did say unto me, "Lo, do not be afraid, for the LORD has favor upon you. You shall purchase a gravel bike, and make disciples of all the unwashed heathen mountain bikers."

Awomen.
Likes For mack_turtle:
Old 02-08-21, 05:45 PM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 28 Posts
Cheez, what are you leaning towards?
Old 02-08-21, 05:56 PM
trailangel

Someone took down my post. I think I may have hurt someone's feelings. I thought I apologized in advance for this.
Old 02-08-21, 06:00 PM
Cheez

Originally Posted by Outrider1 View Post
Cheez, what are you leaning towards?
Well I would like to have any of the new bikes mentioned in this thread as they are way better than my old Raleigh M80 but my friend (the high being) keeps rejecting it. I am afraid I might have to keep my bike and fix/upgrade a few small items. My mental state is very unstable so I don't know what's gonna happen.😐
Old 02-08-21, 06:02 PM
Cheez

Someone took down my post. I think I may have hurt someone's feelings. I thought I apologized in advance for this.
Admin removed my post (for breaking forum rules) and took yours with it.
Old 02-09-21, 11:52 AM
Cheez

OK, update.
My life got chaotic overnight and going through terror. I am going to but a new mountain bike. And my budget price tag has increased to $2800 or higher but not below. The frame will yave carbon fiber cause I can't stand heavy bikes.. Waiting for stimulus check money so I can buy it.
Old 02-09-21, 01:39 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked 652 Times in 371 Posts
My mental state is very unstable so I don't know what's gonna happen.😐
Understatement of the year so far.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 02-09-21, 01:48 PM
mack_turtle
n00b

Oh boy!
Likes For mack_turtle:
Old 02-09-21, 01:51 PM
DMC707 

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 213 Posts
OK, Waiting for stimulus check money so I can buy it.
Oh boy! much better investment than starting a new record label, or buying an 85” television
Old 02-09-21, 03:05 PM
trailangel

Cheez, see if you mom will advance you the money so you can order it now. It will take a long time to get a bike.
Old 02-09-21, 03:58 PM
Cheez

Originally Posted by DMC707 View Post
Oh boy! much better investment than starting a new record label, or buying an 85” television
I used to be a TVphile and audiophile many years ago... 84" TV probably won't fit in my 10x12 shed anyway lol
Cheez, see if you mom will advance you the money so you can order it now. It will take a long time to get a bike.
My mom n dad already gave me $500 a few months ago so I can pay rent on my shed (rent-to-own). I can't ask them for anymore money.. The politicians need to get their butts up and start sending out checks...
Old 02-09-21, 04:48 PM
Cheez

I hear a few folks here said it would take a long time to receive the bike. What's the hold up... Is there not enough laborers to build these bikes?
Old 02-09-21, 05:39 PM
Cheez

Does anybody know what my bike weighs? I don't have a bathroom scale here. I think it's the late 90's Raleigh M80 mountain bike equipped with Shimano STX (that's what the rear derailleur says). It's a 26"er. Anyone has good guess on this? I'm trying to compare with the new bikes I'm searching...
Old 02-09-21, 06:00 PM
Cheez

Oh man, I just checked the web and found the closest to my bike. Here is the spec:

The 1998 Raleigh M80 is a 27 pound a mountain bike with an aluminum frame. The frame comes in Red  Khrome or Silver  Lining.

The M 80 1998 is a is an average weight bike at around 25 pounds. It was released in 1998 and costs $549 brand new. The M 80 1998 has fork suspension.

Components

The M 80 1998 comes with Shimano STX-RC components, including an aluminum stem, a threadless Tange-Seiki RBC-2 headset and grip-shift SRT-6.0 shifters.

The Rock Shox Indy SL fork has a true suspension.

Drivetrain

The M 80 1998 has 8 speeds and has a Shimano derailleur.

Wheels

It comes with IRC PiranhaPro tires (26in x 2in) and Weinmann Zac 19 rims.

That's exactly what I have on my bike. It only weighs 25-27 lbs????!! Oh man that's light, and only costed $550 back then. That is really disturbing cause the new $1600- 3000 bikes (famous high performing name brands) I looked at weigh around 31.9- 25 lbs! The 25 pounder is with carbon frame!

Last edited by Cheez; 02-09-21 at 06:09 PM.
Old 02-09-21, 07:38 PM
jsilvia

Bikes: Trek Multitrac 750. Scott Addict . Motobacane La Champion Trek Crossrip, Scott Scale 925 mountain Bike Centry

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts
Save your money, keep your old Bike, Use your money on something else!!!
Likes For jsilvia:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.