Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Raleigh Century

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Raleigh Century

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-05, 10:44 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Raleigh Century

Hi, folks...I recently acquired a Raleigh Century and I assume it's too recent a model to ask about in the Classic and Vintage forum, so I wonder if anyone here knows about this model? I can't find any mention of it anywhere online including the Raleigh company site and the Raleigh pages maintained by Sheldon Brown. The Raleigh company's centenary was in 1987, so I wonder if it dates from that era? It's a heavy brute and it is distinguished by having a Brooks B72 seat, which is one reason why I bought it.
Thanks
Robert
Old 09-21-05, 03:53 PM
jeff williams
I couldn't car less.

Bikes: Ritchey P-series prototype, Diamondback, Nishiki Triathelon Pro.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.firstflightbikes.com/raleigh.htm
Old 12-15-20, 10:58 AM
Darrincars

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Raleigh Century

Originally Posted by cooker
Hi, folks...I recently acquired a Raleigh Century and I assume it's too recent a model to ask about in the Classic and Vintage forum, so I wonder if anyone here knows about this model? I can't find any mention of it anywhere online including the Raleigh company site and the Raleigh pages maintained by Sheldon Brown. The Raleigh company's centenary was in 1987, so I wonder if it dates from that era? It's a heavy brute and it is distinguished by having a Brooks B72 seat, which is one reason why I bought it.
Thanks
Robert
I just came across a red Raleigh Century. Just kind of a cool old cruiser with 18 speeds. Chrome wheels a little rusty but the body is in excellent condition. Really cool embossed fork.
Bill
Old 12-15-20, 01:03 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Darrincars
I just came across a red Raleigh Century. Just kind of a cool old cruiser with 18 speeds. Chrome wheels a little rusty but the body is in excellent condition. Really cool embossed fork.
Bill
The original Raleigh Company in Britain was founded in 1885, and was the world's leading bike manufacturer in the 1950s and 1960s, but they crashed and burned when they stuck to building steel bikes in England while their rivals built cheaper aluminum bikes in Asia. Starting in the 1980s there were a series of takeovers and reorganizations and licensing out of the name, and any Raleigh bikes built after that, were produced by large conglomerates that might own multiple brand names. So the Raleigh Centurys we have seen are probably just ordinary bikes with no special link to history.

Someone stole the front wheel off mine, so I built a stand for the fork and mounted the rear wheel on a bike trainer in the back yard that my son wanted to train on, but he lost interest and it's still out there several years later! I suppose I should check if it is salvageable and donateable. I did put the Brooks saddle on another bike and got some use out of it, although it had sagged a bit by the time I bought the bike and it eventually was wrecked.

Last edited by cooker; 12-15-20 at 01:37 PM.