Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Jeep Bikes? Ever tried one?

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Jeep Bikes? Ever tried one?

Old 10-15-06, 08:35 PM
valbowski1980

Bikes: Iron Horse Rogue / Mongoose ALD Pro / Fuji Sunfire

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sure, I've driven several....

Dog slow, handle like wheelbarrows, squeak and rattle from nose to tail and eat far too much fuel. Useless unless you need 4X4 to go over rough ground. I can't for the life of me see why anybody would want one as a daily driver.

Oh wait, this is about bikes. Meh, the AWD system is interesting but I've never once been on a trail and thought "hmm I wish that some power was going to the front wheel". The Jeeps won't be as crappy as a Walmart bike but they won't be as good as an entry level specailized, trek, and so on.
Old 10-15-06, 09:05 PM
khuon
DEADBEEF

Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA

Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by valbowski1980
Oh wait, this is about bikes. Meh, the AWD system is interesting but I've never once been on a trail and thought "hmm I wish that some power was going to the front wheel".
I don't think the Jeep bike in question has the Christini AWD.
Old 07-05-11, 01:00 PM
dublinboy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
free_pizza is right they suck, i own one
Old 07-05-11, 01:09 PM
ed 

Bikes: Hecklah

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Old 07-05-11, 04:01 PM
scyclops
dont make me get the belt

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
2006 must have been a boring year, hard to believe this rotting corpse of a thread generated 2 pages of posts (and yet, now I too have been sucked into it...oh, the horror...).
Oh, and Jeep Wranglers (the four-wheel kind) are bada$$, period.

Last edited by scyclops; 07-05-11 at 04:14 PM.
Old 07-06-11, 09:03 AM
twenty-fourer
rollin' like a big shot

Bikes: '92 Huffy Resurrected Awesome.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have I ridden one? No.
Have I stolen the front wheel and bars off of one that was heading to the dumpster? Yes.
Those two parts I can vouch for. They're not too bad.
Old 07-06-11, 10:19 AM
MXBoy11

Bikes: Trek 4300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jeep bike? Oh wait....not the same thing

Old 07-06-11, 04:26 PM
scyclops
dont make me get the belt

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How often do you go through U-joints on that XJ?
Old 09-14-17, 02:18 PM
Djmazeoner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Falken2C
I been looking at some bikes and found some ones branded by Jeep. They look good and all but has anyone tried one or bought one. The higher end ones do have dual disc brakes and SRAM derailleurs, and I dont see cheap falcon or no-name derailleurs on the lower end ones. Any idea
I have owned a jeep bike since 1996 cant complain paid 200$ for it not bad not the greatest but not bad its a little heavy for it size i beleive its a steel frame but who wants an aluminum bike anyways ... Currenty trying to convert my jeep bike to a ebike if you have more questions you can always text me at 914 330 7062 i can send you a picture kf my bike via text

Last edited by Djmazeoner; 09-14-17 at 02:22 PM.
Old 09-19-17, 07:44 AM
dirthurts

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can get a Diamondback Lux for about 300-400 if you look around as a less popular alternative. Just don't get Nashbar or Dicks exclusives (they swap out forks for junk).
Old 03-15-18, 10:09 AM
Ramdad
Trek man

Bikes: 1996 Trek 830,1999 Trek vrx300, 2004 trek 4300, 2006 trek Fuel 90, 2008 trek 820

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This might be way to late to reply but I bought one at a closeout for 199.99 (marked down from 299.99) and took it home. I still spent almost 500.00 that day between helmet, locks, anodized waterbottle cages, bar ends, bike pump, tubes, tools, lights, bell, and finally shades to look cool in; more so than protect my eyes. I did not know about dual suspnsion bikes. The sales associate told me that they owned this bike, and raved. I bought it in 2003 and remember thinking how much it resembled(in my head )to a trek y bike, boy was I wrong. I knew as soon as I left the store it was a bad decision. As I loaded it, I thought to myself, man this thing is heavy(should have left it there). Well I rode it for 2 weeks in suburbia, tightening everything that was bolted to the dahm thing. I even bought loctite to help becuase everything needed re tensioning. Mine was shimano equiped ( low end) and scram shifted. I envisioned using it casually for a bit but with the intention of getting back into cycling. I thought even low end shimano was decent, as some of my childhood bikes were low end but seemed to last forever. I was newly married and money was tight. I was already in hot water for buying the jalopy, but tried to justify it by telling my wife, it was the same cost as a gym membership and I really enjoyed cycling. It was truly depressing for me to go from the beautiful countryside to the city and this was to be my ticket. Again, I was wrong. This thing literally fell apart in my hands. The straw that broke this camels back was the crankarm falling of for the 50th time on a twenty km ride. Furious, I politely got home, brought it back to the place of purchase and promply got scolded out becuase it was final sale, what did I expect from a 200.00 bike, right. Well determined not to look disapionted to my already over taxed on patient wife, l grinned the poop eater smile. Quietly, I wanted to scream but, I was trying to make lemonade. I rode it sporaticallity for 3 more months, until the almost religious like maintainence caught short when i tried to lube the constantly sqeeking suspension with now premium lube( I did not mention I spent almost 100 in lubes , loctite and whatever snake oil I needed to silence the squeeking chain, brakes and creaking bottom bracket and what not! damm!!!) I accidentally over tightened the bubble gum that jeep called bushing and guess what, no replacements were available, to add insult to injury I put that shinny looking rat trap out beside my garage, scanning the classified for a decent used older bike, I could harvest the usable parts from my jeep bike to fix when walmart had a sale on Infinety ? ( house brand Raleigh, nice too) , for you guessed it 199.99. I bought it and vowed to give every luxury of the time I had up, in order to recoup my loss on the sh$t jeep. I used birthday money( like a kid) and beer bottle money( not mine, locally sourced from epic walks, nieghors recycling and odd finds) to pay the extra credit card payment off on this bike. You know, those were pretty good times though, I really enjoyed the 2 months I had with my black cherry rebadged Raliegh. I loctited the bolts as a precaution, but brakes braked, chain did its job and the only sounds that came from that bike were my own and not the sounds of impending mechanical catastrophic feature of part or some of my 2 wheeled steel horse. I always left my bike on a hook next to the door becuase I rode like all the time. Somehow one day the garage was left unlocked? My black cherry grew some new legs, irionically the thief had to have moved the heep bike to steel my black cherry and must have tripped badly becuase blood was spilt over the heep bike and smeared on my freshly whitened garage door. I was pretty heart broken, to the point of cursing, when having to do errands like getting milk on the heep bike. Turret like words just randomly spewed from my mouth at every bump in the road( horrible for a city road system to have more crater like potholes than gravel roads I grew up with, that would carry on average 20-50 tonns of tractors and farming produce) Remember I was still paying off black cherry so driving( my 2 mile a gallon 1 ton 77 jacked up silverado with 5.13 gears) was a luxury becuase i needed vast lakes of fuel just to get to work. One of my other mistakes of youth was not buying a smaller vehicle or the term fuel consumption did not seem to compute with me. I look back now on those days, my wife still impatiently waiting for me to declutter my 17 bike plan( never happen, babe) and think to myself how much anguish that heep bike cuased, no joke. I left that bike on the curb for 3 weeks before some unsuspecting cursed person decided to gamble on the chance it would work. Good luck brave souls, never again will my now overweight prosterior have to de cramm itself from a cheaply disigned, poorly crafted jolopy. In fact my kids and I go out of our way to find down on their luck neglected old bikes and refurbish them as cheaply as posible to help those who truly need them as a means of transport and can not afford better or know better. All the people on this forum a great poeple who really enjoy cycling and truly want to help their fellow nieghbor. I am truly glad. We need as many good people as we can

Last edited by Ramdad; 03-15-18 at 10:15 AM.
Old 03-15-18, 02:37 PM
InOmaha

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
So what you're saying is a Jeep bike is just like a Jeep. If used for their intended purpose, they take constant maintenance to keep them on the road. Something is almost always broken or breaks when you use them. And if you want it to work right you need to strip it down to the frame and build it up with better and more expensive components right from the start.
Old 03-15-18, 03:31 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Wow this is truly fascinating. This thread has been resurrected more times than Jesus and has generated some truly amazing responses.
Old 04-21-20, 08:57 AM
DaniP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dont believe it

Don't believe it. I have a Jeep Bike and I love it. It's also light enough for me to lift over my head into hooks In my garage.

Originally Posted by Falken2C
are you really sure, like have you ridden one? im just wondering about this because people said the Mongoose Blackcomb with disc was really good for the price. anyways im not an overboard guy with things like super light frames, XTR and X.0s. I'd rather have a reliable cromoly lol.
Old 04-21-20, 11:55 AM
eshew

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 29 Posts
Jeep bikes would be fine if they were the only bikes produced ever in the history of bike manufacturing. When you compare them to other bikes you soon realize they aren't that great.

Similar thought exercise. If you are lost on an open barren plain and the only shelter you have is a small cave under a rocky outcrop, you'd be pretty happy with that. Compared to a 2 story house, it's not that great though. But at the same time it's not the worst either.

Jeep bike = cave under rocky outcrop.
Many other bikes = 2 story house.
Some really nice bikes = 3 story house w/pool

You just think they are great because you're lost on an open barren plain.
Old 04-25-20, 08:02 PM
rickpaulos

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 86 Posts
A bso Jeep Comanche I converted to a coaster brake bike. The original fork brakes and gears were cheap junk. Still rode like a slug.