Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Your century bicycle(s)

Old 04-15-07, 06:10 PM
bmike
Bye Bye

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bmclaughlin807

Hey... I had an 89 or 90! Same color. Different bars though.
Rode that all over NE Ohio... did my first century on it!
Old 04-15-07, 06:47 PM
bmclaughlin807
Crankenstein

Bikes: Novara Randonee (TankerBelle)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bmike
Hey... I had an 89 or 90! Same color. Different bars though.
Rode that all over NE Ohio... did my first century on it!
The bars were replaced after a mishap while riding with my wife... someone cut us off, she came over into me, and we both fell on top of my bike. That pic was right after I finished wrapping the new bars.
"There is no greater wonder than the way the face and character of a woman fit so perfectly in a man's mind, and stay there, and he could never tell you why. It just seems it was the thing he most wanted." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old 04-15-07, 10:35 PM
Red Rider
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
My humble Specialized dolce comp has carried me to 5 centuries and many rides in between.

The tandem is a different animal but the thrill we get from finishing is awesome. Our plan is one a month through this year.

Give me a road and a decent bike and I'm happy.

I'll post a pic after I resize it....
Old 04-23-07, 05:29 PM
3kmi

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cannondale t2000. over the summer I rode across the country on it and completed more than a few centuries.
Old 04-23-07, 06:03 PM
vik 
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Did my first ever imperial century & 200K on this bike a a couple weekends ago. Aiming for a double century and a 400K later in the season.

It's a Volae Expedition.
Old 04-23-07, 07:03 PM
mitchel

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate and Tuscany

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When you talk about century rides, I think of the fully supported charity rides and Cascade Bicycle Club events. For supported rides like that, I take my fast bike- my Litespeed Ultimate with a light set of wheels. Lately, I've been running the Campy Eurus wheels and the bike feels pretty speedy.

For a double century or longer ride, I take my Litespeed Tuscany, which has a triple. I carry a few more "what-if" supplies and extra clothes, a handlebar bag, a trunk bag, and a bento box (not to mention lights). I have Mavic Open Pros and a Schmidt hub and that weighs me down a little. I wouldn't take all that cr*p on the STP though because there's so many rest stops and so much support.

Titanium rules! I love my Litespeed bikes
Old 04-23-07, 07:29 PM
bmclaughlin807
Crankenstein

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
*steals one of mitchel's Litespeeds*
"There is no greater wonder than the way the face and character of a woman fit so perfectly in a man's mind, and stay there, and he could never tell you why. It just seems it was the thing he most wanted." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old 04-26-07, 12:43 PM
marengo
# BF-STL-00020

Bikes: Cinelli, Pinarello, Rossin, Gitane, Trek

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've ridden all my centurys on this Pinarello, but next week I'm going to do one fixed.
Old 04-27-07, 02:30 AM
craigdurkee

Bikes: gaint crx 2 2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Completed loads of century's on the Flat bar, infact im upto 12000km since august last year on that little beauty...

My ocr carbon1 is only 2 weeks old 500km up already only having ridden in 3 times

Looking to do the double century this month some time

Old 04-28-07, 11:22 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 498 Posts
Wow, what a range of experience in this thread!

Have any of you thought about if you like bikes with a lot of trail, or not a lot, for long distance cycling? How about any other particular geometric features?

Road Fan
Old 04-29-07, 01:20 AM
craigdurkee

Bikes: gaint crx 2 2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
heres some pics from my 168 ride the other day

Old 04-29-07, 07:37 AM
mplee

Bikes: LeMond Sarthe, Rivendell Bleriot, Dahon MU

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
and now that i've completed two centuries and a 200km ride i can proudly post my bike as well. it's a rivendell bleriot that i had built up at hiawatha cyclery in minneapolis. i made the long drive up from chicago to pick it up about a month ago and went for a chilly and damp club ride with the friendly hangers-on there. it's been a joy on that first ride and every one since. you can't really tell but i have a schmidt dyno hub and lamp mounted on the handlebars. and speaking of handlebars, isnt that a pretty tape job? i'm inordinately happy with it. i should call the bike "tiger" but i'm not in the habit of naming my bikes. those are 650B Nifty Swifty tires covered by honjo fenders. i thought i'd have trouble getting used to the bar end shifters but i adjusted within a few miles. of course all this comes at a price...29 lbs. my average speed has dropped significantly but i still make it to the finish line. and it's a very comfortable ride. i couldn't be happier!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bleriotv2.jpg (82.2 KB, 1020 views)
Old 04-30-07, 03:44 PM
songfta
Cycling Skier

Bikes: 2019 Moots Vamoots DR, 2008 Pedal Force ZX3, 2006 Jamis Eclipse, 1997 Marin Indian Fire Trail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by knobster
My newest build is a Eddy Merckx Titanium AX. It's a light one at 17 lbs and doesn't take fenders or racks, but damn it's fast. Very comfortable over the long distances. Will be doing a majority of my centuries on this bike this year.
Frankly speaking, you probably won't need racks for anything up to a double metric. I've done all of my centuries (flat, hilly, you name it) on the same bike: my 2002 LeMond Tourmalet

It has a triple crank (52/39/30), but I haven't had to use the granny much at all. I'm very likely to swap it out for a 50/34 compact double sometime this summer. I have two rear cassettes that I use: a 12/25 for general use, and a 12/27 for the more gnarly mountain climbs.

Question: My Eddy Merckx has a compact double (50/36) with a 13/26 cassette. I haven't ridden it on any long rides yet or over any large hills. Most of the centuries that I've got planned are mountain centuries this year. Does this gearing make sense?
Two things you could do without changing your rear derailleur:
  1. Swap out the rear cassette for a 12/27 (better high and low end)
  2. Swap out the 36T small ring in the front for a 34T

I've seen people around here who do some of the crazy centuries (e.g. Mountains of Misery) swap out their rear derailleur for a mountain unit (e.g. Shimano XT or XTR) and throw on a mountain cassette, like a 12/30 or 13/32. Even with a standard double (53/39), you get some decently low gearing. With a 50/34 or 50/36 compact double, you get gearing that's good for almost anything.
Old 04-30-07, 04:51 PM
hockeyteeth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Route:

Last edited by hockeyteeth; 07-20-07 at 12:52 PM.
Old 05-01-07, 10:20 AM
knobster

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Comp, Soma ES

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bmclaughlin807
Well, now that I've got my first century done (and second, AND third! Three weeks, three centuries!) I guess I can post my bike in this thread!
1988 Raleigh Technium... Since the photos I've added clipless pedals, fenders, aerobars, and a better light. I currently have about 8,500 miles on it Gets me where I'm goin'!
Are those grocery paniers? If so, how are those working for you? I just bought some last night from REI. Dividend checks are nice!
Old 05-01-07, 10:28 AM
knobster

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Comp, Soma ES

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by songfta
Frankly speaking, you probably won't need racks for anything up to a double metric. I've done all of my centuries (flat, hilly, you name it) on the same bike: my 2002 LeMond Tourmalet

It has a triple crank (52/39/30), but I haven't had to use the granny much at all. I'm very likely to swap it out for a 50/34 compact double sometime this summer. I have two rear cassettes that I use: a 12/25 for general use, and a 12/27 for the more gnarly mountain climbs.

Two things you could do without changing your rear derailleur:
  1. Swap out the rear cassette for a 12/27 (better high and low end)
  2. Swap out the 36T small ring in the front for a 34T

I've seen people around here who do some of the crazy centuries (e.g. Mountains of Misery) swap out their rear derailleur for a mountain unit (e.g. Shimano XT or XTR) and throw on a mountain cassette, like a 12/30 or 13/32. Even with a standard double (53/39), you get some decently low gearing. With a 50/34 or 50/36 compact double, you get gearing that's good for almost anything.
What I ended up doing was switching out the compact double that I had to a triple (53/42/28) and a rear cassette of 13/29. Haven't found anything that I can't get over yet. I had a lot of trouble with the shifting with the compact and even the LBS couldn't get it right. He said that the seat tube angle might be causing some of the trouble. Anyways, the triple is working perfect and I've got a really good range of low and high gearing. Should work perfectly for any long distance work that I want to do. Did end up switching out the short cage RD for a long cage one.
Old 05-06-07, 07:21 AM
NotAsFat
as I used to be

Bikes: 2006 Lemond Tourmalet triple

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here's my Tourmalet. The pic was taken yesterday, at the finish of my first imperial century.
Old 05-06-07, 10:07 AM
bmclaughlin807
Crankenstein

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Are those grocery paniers? If so, how are those working for you? I just bought some last night from REI. Dividend checks are nice!
Yup. I've used the heck out of them... one is falling apart from use! I've been using the bike to get all my groceries for almost a year now... and have carried up to about 90 lbs of groceries at one time.
Old 05-06-07, 05:36 PM
Tskuller
crooked member

Bikes: Scott Speedster S50 & Giant FCR3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My century bike:

Old 05-07-07, 03:33 PM
bmclaughlin807
Crankenstein

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Well... here she is... I haven't done a century on her yet, but just wait till next weekend!

Old 05-23-07, 02:38 AM
ianjk
:)

Bikes: '07 Pista, '09 Fantom Cross Uno, '8? Miyata, '67 Stingray, '0? Zoo mod trials, Tallbike, Chopper, '73 Schwinn Collegiate, '67 Triumph Chopper, '69 CB350, '58 BSA Spitfire, '73 CB450

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My 83 or 84 Peugeot that I found at the dump and took for a century a couple days later.

My Miyata that I picked up for ten bones, did a century on it a couple weeks later after lubing the chain, changing the brakes and slapping on some new tires.

Old 05-23-07, 06:29 AM
Richard Cranium

Bikes: 2003 LeMond -various other junk bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 34 Posts
Serious climber was using that Miyata, note the 52x46 chain wheel set........
Old 05-23-07, 06:30 AM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
This bike, currently

I also have ridden 167 in 11 1/2 hrs on this one.

and my first century ever was ridden on this Department Store Special, a Royce Union sorta-kinda Mountain Bike! (I also did my first loaded tour on it!)

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 05-28-07, 04:19 PM
pegleg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did my first century in a while yesterday. 103 miles in 6:17 on the bike, 6:42 with stops.

I took these pictures today on my recovery ride because I didn't want to carry the camera yesterday and since today was a leisurely affair, I didn't mind taking the time.

Last edited by pegleg; 05-29-07 at 03:24 PM.
Old 05-29-07, 08:26 AM
Hocam
Ho-Jahm

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow pegleg, that's friggin awesome. I'm not sure if I could do a sub 7 hour century and I still have my leg.

When are you getting a flame painted bike to match your pirate leg?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.