Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

1995 StumpJumper M2 rebuild or not?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-03, 08:59 PM
eric streeper

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Stumpjumper M2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a 1995 Specialized StumpJumper M2. It's been around a while and has a lot of miles on it.

I was planning on replacing it by building-up a bike, possibly with a Salsa Ala Carte, Rocky Mountain Blizzard or Yeti ARC frame. Each of those frames is pretty expensive, so I was considering my other options, like rebuilding my old M2 frame. I mean, the frame is in good shape (no dings, dent's or cracks), the bike has always fit me well and it would save up to $1000.

I'm worried about the frame. Does anyone have any expirience or advice in rebuilding older aluminum framed bikes? How much of a concern is metal fatigue?
Old 12-17-03, 12:19 PM
EBasil

Bikes: Manitou SS, Trek 69er SS, Fisher Cake DLX1, Breezer Beltway 8

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eric streeper
I have a 1995 Specialized StumpJumper M2. It's been around a while and has a lot of miles on it.

I was planning on replacing it by building-up a bike, possibly with a Salsa Ala Carte, Rocky Mountain Blizzard or Yeti ARC frame. Each of those frames is pretty expensive, so I was considering my other options, like rebuilding my old M2 frame. I mean, the frame is in good shape (no dings, dent's or cracks), the bike has always fit me well and it would save up to $1000.

I'm worried about the frame. Does anyone have any expirience or advice in rebuilding older aluminum framed bikes? How much of a concern is metal fatigue?
Those frames were so overbuilt, there's no reason why you can't just update it --except that it's designed for a fork with 65-70mm of travel, so modern, longer forks will affect the head tube angle and steering.

It's popular to warn people that aluminum frames are only good for one season, or dry out in the sun, or will suddenly snap and crack in half when they turn 3, or other idiot lunacy that dingbats like to repeat after reading a magazine or a bulletin board. Hopefully, you don't get a glot of those kind of responses here. If you are using the bike to take 35' drops (like all we rad dudes do), it will break, just like a cast-iron, steel, carbon, thermoplastic or beryllium frame will. If you are using it to ride trails like you always have been, it will be fine for a long time.

That said, the fork upgrade issue is a legitimate one. You might want to consider building up a non-name brand frame that's still swank. For example, did you know that Jenson USA's house brand hardtail is identical to a Santa Cruz Chameleon and built in the same (Kinesis ) factory but sells for much less? There are a lot of other options out there, too, and then you could have a PAIR of bikes... Nice to have a loaner.
Old 12-17-03, 02:45 PM
a2psyklnut

Bikes: Lots

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Definately keep the M2. But I would recommend a new bike for the same reason EBasil mentioned.

Heck, convert the M2 to a singlespeed!

L8R
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!" - unknown
"Your Bike Sucks" - Sky Yaeger
Old 12-17-03, 03:04 PM
slcpunk21

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Funny thing is.. I have an M2 also and am running into the same issue.... hmmm

Oh and what EBasil says about those guys worrying about frames cracking... well they do fatigue over time... but mainly only if you are rough on it.. i.e. urban, and super rough rock garden stuff... not saying they will deffinately break or anything.. just giving you an idea of what he's talking about... but an M2 is a completely different animal, it was never built to be the lightest thing around... if yours is like mine, it's solid as a brick! no flex, but not super light either.

I say keep it and build it up! Oh and the head angle thing... making it slacker isn't always a bad thing.. I kinda like slack angles... but I also like DH...

I had an old Judy XC on it stock and upgraded the internals to DH ones... and it didn't make a huge difference and if I'm correct in remembering that was about 3.5 inches of travel. So I think a 4 inch fork would be about the biggest you could go with yout making it feel like a dead fish... anyways, that's my .02 cents.

Get us pics of whatever you decide to do!
Old 12-17-03, 05:33 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked 454 Times in 313 Posts
one more vote for keeping the old frame, as it is worthy of keeping. doesn't hurt to get a second bike either =]
Old 12-17-03, 05:40 PM
Avalanche325

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze / GT Avalanche

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am riding an AL (6061) frame GT Avalanche that is 6 years old. I am 200lbs, XC, lots of mountain fire roads, so I do get a little air on the way down, not a huckster though. No problems.

Heck, you don't see too many old 747s snapping in half.
Old 12-17-03, 06:59 PM
eric streeper

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Stumpjumper M2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. All the replies confirm what I was thinking. I'm not real rough on bikes, but the ol' M2 has got some miles on it, including a few punishing trips to Moab. I guess the worst thing that could happen is the frame could crack and have to transfer a bunch of new components to a new frame. The old M2s were definitely not in the ultralight class. When I bought the bike, it came with a RockShox Mag 21 with 1.6 inches of travel! I upgraded the shock with the "long travel" kit (2.1 inches). Now it's got a Judy with Mountain Speed springs in it, (about 2.5 inches). My my my, 4 inches of travel; how things change. If I do a rebuild, I'll post some pictures.

P. S.
Any one know of a source for original bike stickers, if I wanted to repaint the frame?
Old 12-17-03, 07:36 PM
Jordi

Bikes: 2011 Cervelo R3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a '96 Stumpy M2 that I refreshened a year ago and it rides like new. It should, since it doesn't have a single original component besides the bottle cage. The paint is just a bit ugly because it's a mountain bike (duh), but the frame itself is still in great shape.

I wouldn't worry about the frame breaking because it should have a lifetime warranty, meaning Specialized will send you a new one (M4!!!), in many cases even if you've done something stupid. I would hold onto it and ride it until it breaks (if ever). If not, upgrade it and move the components to another bike.

Being that my paint has seen better days, I too am interested in finding some replacement decals. I'm guessing calling Specialized would be the best place to start.
Old 08-29-17, 08:49 AM
3rdgenerationbi

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
14 year old thread bumb

Safe to say the 1995 stumpjumper M2 after 22 years of hard use is still going strong!!!

This was my grandpa's race bike in the 90's and 00's competed in local and bigger NORBA races in multiple states.
The bike saw over 1000 miles in its first year in 1995 alone. It's had multiple drive trains on it as well as different suspension forks over the years.

Fast foward to 2017 - removed and replaced the 3x8 with a Shimano XT Deore 3x9 NOS drivetrain and shifters .
Removed the marzocchi superfly bomber Z2 front fork and replaced with an manitou r7 100mm fork

Swapped the narrow TI bars for 660 wide flat carbon bars (Had risers on for a few months in between in this picture) and a 50mm -7° stem (combat slacker geometry from new fork) & new sealed bearing headset

Replaced cranks with NOS truvativ cranks and replaced the time atac pedals for shimano m530's

Bike is an absolute blast to ride, I do not take it easy on this bike either. Slacker HA makes downhills ten times better and still handles and climbs like a beast. Technical singletrack is tore up by this 22 year old steed. I hope someone sees this post and can maybe bring another one of these bikes to life again. I'm having so much fun and just knowing I'm sitting in the same cockpit as Grandpa is an irreplaceable feeling.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
July2017.jpg (98.8 KB, 137 views)
Likes For 3rdgenerationbi:
Old 08-11-20, 01:46 AM
francois.girard

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 3rdgenerationbi
Safe to say the 1995 stumpjumper M2 after 22 years of hard use is still going strong!!!

This was my grandpa's race bike in the 90's and 00's competed in local and bigger NORBA races in multiple states.
The bike saw over 1000 miles in its first year in 1995 alone. It's had multiple drive trains on it as well as different suspension forks over the years.

Fast foward to 2017 - removed and replaced the 3x8 with a Shimano XT Deore 3x9 NOS drivetrain and shifters .
Removed the marzocchi superfly bomber Z2 front fork and replaced with an manitou r7 100mm fork

Swapped the narrow TI bars for 660 wide flat carbon bars (Had risers on for a few months in between in this picture) and a 50mm -7° stem (combat slacker geometry from new fork) & new sealed bearing headset

Replaced cranks with NOS truvativ cranks and replaced the time atac pedals for shimano m530's

Bike is an absolute blast to ride, I do not take it easy on this bike either. Slacker HA makes downhills ten times better and still handles and climbs like a beast. Technical singletrack is tore up by this 22 year old steed. I hope someone sees this post and can maybe bring another one of these bikes to life again. I'm having so much fun and just knowing I'm sitting in the same cockpit as Grandpa is an irreplaceable feeling.
What headset did you use? What are the specs for Stumpjumper M2 1995?
Old 08-11-20, 01:21 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
It’s not the durability of the frame, I think it really comes down to whether you really want the M2 as you main ride. Or will it always be a”Wish I had...”

I think you need to figure the cost of the rebuild and decide if you want to do the minimum to keep it going or a complete rebuild, or just keep looking for the frame you really want.

I’ve done frame up builds and it isn’t as cheap as it seems going in.

John
Old 08-13-20, 08:27 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
HUZZAH !!!!! 17 year old thread! This has to be the oldest zombie thread ive seen yet !
Likes For DMC707:
Old 08-13-20, 07:35 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
HUZZAH !!!!! 17 year old thread! This has to be the oldest zombie thread ive seen yet !
I am so ashamed. I think I should get a timeout.

John
Old 08-14-20, 07:33 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
I am so ashamed. I think I should get a timeout.

John

3 days of only having access to the "Politics & Religion" subforum should do it !
Likes For DMC707: