Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Advice needed on towing 3 year old for leisure riding

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 10-20-14, 12:20 AM
pookieman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi

We are trying to get the kids into riding bikes, our 5 year old learnt to ride this year and is doing well on his bike, our 3 year old is keen but hasn't nailed balancing yet, ironically her balance bike is too small for her so we got her on our 5 year olds old bike which has training wheels on it. I tried her without hoping she would just pick it up, but she got frustrated so I had to put them back on again. We are not in any hurry to push her, her brother didn't learn until he was 4 and a half.

So as we'd like to go for rides together we are looking for towing options, the main one is the trailgator which has some great reviews, but I have the following reservation, as the front wheel is lifted, wouldn't that just prevent the child from attempting to balance? I haven't seen anyone using it with the front wheel down, so I'm guessing that's not how to use it.

I thought an option where the front wheel is down and the child being towed as they are bound to complain about being tired I came across this Learn and Ride Child Bicycle Tow Bar by Top Serve LLC

Thing is I can't find much out there on it, literally all I can find is on their website, does anyone have any opinions about this, it's obviously cheaper, are there other alternatives?

Thanks in advance for your response
Old 10-20-14, 12:53 AM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pookieman View Post
So as we'd like to go for rides together we are looking for towing options, the main one is the trailgator which has some great reviews, but I have the following reservation, as the front wheel is lifted, wouldn't that just prevent the child from attempting to balance?
I'm puzzled. If the child is not yet able to balance a bike, why would you want an arrangement where you're towing her but she has to balance? Seems like a recipe for failure where the child falls over but is still being pulled along the ground by the adult's bike for a bit before you manage to stop.

Have you tried converting the bike that fits her into a balance bike? I.e. take off the pedals (and training wheels) and lower the seat so she can scoot along by pushing off with her feet but still catch herself the moment she feels that she's about to fall.
Old 10-20-14, 01:05 AM
pookieman

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for responding, lol - I can see your point it, but it wasn't overlooked, until she has managed to balance the plan was to keep the training wheels on and have a very sedate ride, the person towing would be going very slowly, but just to get her confidence up and use to the pedals, she is almost on the verge of balancing, just needs a few more runs at it.

Guess my concern was that the trailgator isn't much of an incentive to actually try and balance and I was looking at the longevity of the trailgator at 100+ it would be a shame to just use it whilst she is learning to balance, hence I started looking at different towing options.

Cheers
Old 10-20-14, 04:52 AM
cplager
The Recumbent Quant

Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis, 2016 Folding CruziTandem

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When my daughter was three, I used a gator tow bar. It worked quite well except when she decided to pedal backwards and hit the brakes (she didn't understand). We had a blast. (Both my kids are now can ride bikes on their own, but both still sometimes ride with me on trail a bikes so we can go much further).

For learning how to balance, take off both the training wheels and the pedals. With most bikes, this does mean no brakes, do only on level surfaces. When she's ready, put the pedals on. My four year old needed to see that we were all faster than he was, he requested pedals and off he went riding.
Old 10-20-14, 06:11 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: '15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, '76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, '17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, '12 Breezer Venturi, '09 Dahon Mariner, '05 Novara Big Buzz, '12 Mercier Nano, '95 DeKerf Team SL, '19 Tern Rally, ‘21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, ‘19 T Lab X3

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1374 Post(s)
Liked 361 Times in 230 Posts
No need to worry; they-- we-- all learn to ride when we're ready, and it happens instantly. Just a few months ago a friend and his child, a kid who'd never done anything other than training wheels, finally decided, at age 5, to learn, and after 15-20 min of having his seat held and one of the adults, was off to the races. My daughter was basically the same.

Point being, there are other reasons to tow kids and/ or their bikes that will better inform what type of device to have than as a training to balance device.
Old 10-20-14, 06:34 AM
spdntrxi

Bikes: Parlee,BMC,Specialized and Trek

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 21 Posts
weehoo.. it's quite nice