Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tire sealant may not work when you are stopped

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-20, 05:21 AM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts

I am running tubeless sealant in fat bike tubes. I may go completely tubeless in the future.

A couple of times I have had tires losing pressure when the bike is parked. I pumped them up, went for a ride, and they seem to hold their pressure.

What probably happened is, I got small punctures not long before stopping. The punctures were probably above the level of the sealant while stopped, so the sealant didn't reach them. But when riding the bike again, it seems to have sealed the leaks.

Sometimes prickles from plants break off in the tire. I am still waiting to see if something remaining in the tire is a problem with a permanent seal.
Old 12-23-20, 07:05 AM
Hokiedad4

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant Contend

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts
How much pressure are you losing? One consideration is that at full pressure, a small hole will get larger and lose air, which can seal once the tire loses a bit of pressure.
Old 12-23-20, 10:30 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
I used to use Slime brand sealant. It was generally effective, although it also would eventually clog up valve cores. Another thing it struggled to help with was punctures through the tires' sidewalls. I caught the sidewall of my tire on a cactus needle and the tire started going flat. I was able to stop the leak by laying the bike on its side with the damaged sidewall facing down and slowly rotating the tire to cover more area with SLime, and I finished my ride.

I would not be surprised if tubeless sealant works the same - it can't seal what it's not in contact with. I am a bit surprised a partially sealed leak in a fat bike tube can cause noticeable pressure drop - those fat tires are good down to very low pressures, and require a lot of air loss to change the pressure.
Old 12-23-20, 11:47 PM
Skulking

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 39 Posts
Tubeless or not, bike tires do lose pressure over time. I'd guess that you never had a hole, just normal pressure loss while the bike was sitting.
Old 12-24-20, 02:51 AM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
I am talking, for example, about stopping for 1 hour and the tire goes too flat to ride. It has happened a couple of times. Another time, it lost pressure over night.

The only explanation I have is that the puncture happened shortly before stopping, and when I stopped, it was higher than the level of the sealant, so it did not seal. But after pumping it up and riding the bike, it does not leak any more.

I am in a place where there are a lot of prickly plants, and I go off road a lot.
Old 12-24-20, 08:01 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 7031 Post(s)
Liked 11,066 Times in 4,729 Posts
Originally Posted by HD3andMe
In related news, the sun rises in the East.
But not if the Earth stops turning.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 12-26-20, 07:34 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1757 Post(s)
Liked 1,287 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
But not if the Earth stops turning.
So, you saved me from making a similar statement.
Likes For bruce19: