Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Froze up!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-10, 11:40 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7352 Post(s)
Liked 2,479 Times in 1,439 Posts
When I put a cable on a bike, before putting it in the housing, I drop oil into the housing, AND I rub grease on the cable.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-02-10, 02:40 PM
HSean

Bikes: Many. Ralieigh sports`s, Raleigh Superbe, sears Spaceliner, Firestone supercruisers, many vintage mountain bikes, random cruisers, and other unique bikes.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
It gets bloody cold here in ontario sometimes. I remember one day my whole bike wouldn't move, the chain links all froze and all gears and brakes, even wheel bearings and Bottom bracket lol and I hwas running late for work. What option did I have? I got a rather large bucket of boiling water and let the bike have it, Sure there was alot of ice stuck to it by the time I got to work but! I got to work on time! lol
Old 02-02-10, 08:47 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Wow! Where are you, and what kind of temperatures are you talking about?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 02-03-10, 08:19 AM
Pig_Chaser

Bikes: '07 Giant OCR3

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I personally haven't had any mechanical issues this winter (knock on wood). I've cycled in temps as low as -32C. The bike stays in the garage (unattached, unheated) overnight but comes into the warehouse at work.

After last winter everything seized up shortly after I switched over to the summer bike. I think disuse played a roll, and probably cycling during the big melt with all the salty grimy slush played the biggest role, not temperatures. Some things were so seriously seized they had to be coaxed off with a hammer. I pretty much stripped everything except for the hubs and bb. Each part was disassembled, cleaned, greased and replaced.
Old 02-03-10, 07:00 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

By the way, where do you get a bucket of boiling water? I've never seen one. Do they have boiling water spigots on the streets in Ontario cities?

Old 02-03-10, 07:56 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I've been having a lot of luck with a small dab of WD40 applied to the cable housing ends. I haven't had a frozen cable this week and it has been very slushy/salty. Mind you, I'm talking about my rear derailleur. My front picks up so much crap, it is still completely covered in snow each morning as I leave. I am just content with the middle ring...
Old 02-03-10, 09:43 PM
HSean

Bikes: Many. Ralieigh sports`s, Raleigh Superbe, sears Spaceliner, Firestone supercruisers, many vintage mountain bikes, random cruisers, and other unique bikes.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
In ontario, we had this really cold day one day, As for boilint a big thing of water I did it on the stove in a big turkey Pot thing But my bikes a big junker that isn't maintained all the time. just gotta blast it with Wd40 allover many times before riding it. Aint gonna waste a nice bike in the winter, junkers work nice the headlights have been stuck on all winter now and the batterys are still working

I did the water thing at my house before I left, I couldn't leave because the bike refused I think that day was like minus 30 something
Old 02-03-10, 09:53 PM
electrik
Single-serving poster

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You need an industrial heat-gun... works great and is fast, just don't cook the lube
Old 02-04-10, 02:25 AM
HSean

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Yeah I twas thinking that, we have some at my work. But the bikes parked for most the winter now anyway, I only use it to run arrens and what not, I found an easy warm way to get to work lol I love riding my bike, but I hate the cold!