Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Buying expensive bikes and parts...

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Buying expensive bikes and parts...

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-16, 11:56 AM
TriDanny47

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Some of my other bikes:

Roubaix

Crux

Sirrus (I hate this rack, btw, gonna change it.)

Last edited by TriDanny47; 01-04-16 at 03:45 PM.
Old 01-04-16, 06:46 PM
Kindaslow

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Hey, TriDanny, here is my Sirrus
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (104.0 KB, 256 views)
Old 01-11-16, 02:18 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Congratulations. You just won BF curmudgeon post of the week award. I'm impressed. (seriously)
I agree with some degree of their opinion, To Be Determined when I read it in full.

By the way, Rollfast number 2 is costing more than number 1 (Tempest) and it's just a frame at this point...

It's coming Wednesday though!!!

PS I remember when # was pound on the telephone and not a hashtag.
Old 01-11-16, 02:24 PM
vanguardx3
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just bought a flat bar road bike from nashbar. This bike is extremely fun to ride. It was almost a shame to add the weight of a rack, panniers, and lock/cable. I bought it for practicality but it's so fun and fast, it's almost a road bike replacement. It's still very fun to ride weighted down as a practical hauler and mule, but I still miss the zippyness of the unweighted ride.

The nashbar lists for just $280. I bought it at 25% off during a recent sale and couldn't be happier with the bike.
Old 01-11-16, 04:17 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,434 Times in 1,187 Posts
The most economical way to buy an expensive bike for cheap, is to find someone who bought an expensive bike and realized that don't enjoy riding.

I just picked up a $2700 bike for $900. The seller couldn't handle the fit of a road bike and now wants to get a flatbar bike. His loss is my gain.

Last edited by GlennR; 01-11-16 at 05:28 PM.
Old 01-11-16, 05:36 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,994 Times in 570 Posts
Wow ... great deal. Is that a foil?

Old 01-11-16, 05:39 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,485 Times in 1,840 Posts
Don't know what it is except very pretty.
Old 01-11-16, 05:45 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by Biker395
Wow ... great deal. Is that a foil?
It's a Scott CR1 Elite. Full carbon, complete Sram Rival groupset, Mavic wheels.

It still had the original tires on it and I checked the original chain, with a Park tool, and the .5 would not drop in so there's minimal miles on it.

It's all about good timing. Winter is the worst time to sell a bike. I was originally looking for a used bike with a alloy frame and carbon fork, but sellers were still asking $800+. Then I saw this and since it was local, I went to see it... and i brought cash. I told the seller his price was over my budget and told him what i had budgeted. I said if he wants to see if anyone else offers more and that my offer stands until I find a bike. But don't wait since i'm actively looking. I started to walk away and he stopped me and took my offer. He didn't want to be bothered relisting it and dealing selling it.

He took the money and ran... and so did I.

Last edited by GlennR; 01-11-16 at 05:53 PM.
Old 01-11-16, 06:07 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Originally Posted by oldnslow2
I told the seller his price was over my budget and told him what i had budgeted. I said if he wants to see if anyone else offers more and that my offer stands until I find a bike. But don't wait since i'm actively looking. I started to walk away and he stopped me and took my offer. He didn't want to be bothered relisting it and dealing selling it.
I am using this technique. Thanks.
Old 01-11-16, 06:13 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by Maelochs
I am using this technique. Thanks.
I learned it from a friend that buys and sell old cars. Don't tip your hand, don't spend more than that your budget, don't insult with a low ball offer but do offer less... they might take it. Tell them you have cash and will take it now.... and don't be afraid to walk away. If your offer is in the ball park and you showed them cash, odds are you'll not get more than 3 steps away before they all you back.

I saw his original receipt and got the bike for less than 1/3 what he paid for it new.
Old 01-11-16, 06:57 PM
fastcarbon

Bikes: SL6 S Works Tarmac, 7 series Trek Madone, Saris Hammer Smart Trainer, Eddie Merckx, Ciocc, Trek 5900, DeRosa, Peugot, Diverge Gravel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 32 Posts
I always research the groups and frames I ride and have found purchasing the best you can afford yields very highly positive results. My last bike about two years ago was a Trek Domane 6 series frame with DA 11 spd gears. If it is good enough for Fabian Cancellara and Paris-Robaix it is more than enough for me. There is always a dealer who will discount substantially, especially a club sponsor if you put in the work. A bike of this weight with quality shifting and C/F wheels goes a long way when trying to hit 200 mi. weeks with 8 to10,000 feet of climbing. At 73 the bike has to be very tolerable to do this much riding.
Old 01-14-16, 10:41 PM
Jeffkilly

Bikes: Vintage Specialized Stumpjumper & Specialized Sirrus Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am all for guys spending $7,000 on a bike. I also hope they enjoy riding those bikes as much as possible. But, if they don't and they want to sell their hardly used $7,000 bike for $3,500, I am definitely the guy that is willing to help them out . Besides, I spent all my money on boats and sport cars .
Old 01-14-16, 11:07 PM
Maelochs

You know, oldnslow2, that is exactly the kind of deal on exactly the kind of bike I have been looking for for months.

In fact, I think I was supposed to have it and you snatched it away. But I will let you give it to me now and call it even--I will even pay shipping. No hard feelings.

I cannot tell you how frustrated I am that you found that bike in that shape for that price.

Not that I begrudge you your fine ride ... but I am glad we don't live close together because I would be tempted to help you and your bike "disappear' ... and then find the bike in my garage. How did this get here?

I hope you know that I am 100% joking ... but I cannot find any way to adequately express my envy and frustration.

Whatever you did to deserve that ... well, congratulations.
Old 01-15-16, 05:07 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3093 Post(s)
Liked 6,609 Times in 3,788 Posts
This thread has gone off the rails.

Closed.
Old 01-16-16, 06:19 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3093 Post(s)
Liked 6,609 Times in 3,788 Posts
After a Mod discussion, and some clean up, this thread has been reopened.

Please refrain from posting any additional inflammatory comments.
Old 01-16-16, 08:11 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
The best part of buying an expensive bike is to allow others to ride it as well.
Old 01-16-16, 08:27 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by Maelochs
You know, oldnslow2, that is exactly the kind of deal on exactly the kind of bike I have been looking for for months.

In fact, I think I was supposed to have it and you snatched it away. But I will let you give it to me now and call it even--I will even pay shipping. No hard feelings.

I cannot tell you how frustrated I am that you found that bike in that shape for that price.

Not that I begrudge you your fine ride ... but I am glad we don't live close together because I would be tempted to help you and your bike "disappear' ... and then find the bike in my garage. How did this get here?

I hope you know that I am 100% joking ... but I cannot find any way to adequately express my envy and frustration.

Whatever you did to deserve that ... well, congratulations.
Actually I have second thoughts that its too nice for a foul weather bike. If you're really interested, PM me and I might be willing to let it go.
Old 01-16-16, 08:34 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
The best part of buying an expensive bike is to allow others to ride it as well.
Do ya think? How expensive?

I was trying to find a thread I had read in the past that asked that question, with a lot of negative replies.
Old 01-16-16, 09:32 AM
Kindaslow

Originally Posted by oldnslow2
Actually I have second thoughts that its too nice for a foul weather bike. If you're really interested, PM me and I might be willing to let it go.
My most expensive bike is my MTB, and it gets ridden in the worst weather. But, I never take the Venge out in really bad weather, it is just too pretty, to me.
Old 01-16-16, 09:36 AM
Kindaslow

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston

I was trying to find a thread I had read in the past that asked that question, with a lot of negative replies.
The cost of my bikes is not what keeps me from letting others ride them. I, like a lot of you, spend a lot of time getting my bikes just to my liking. So, I struggle letting others ride them. I would much rather rent a bike for a friend in from out of town. Sad, but true.
Old 01-16-16, 10:01 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts

I've got what most people think is a very expensive bike - custom carbon, Di2, Zipp wheels, etc. I love letting others ride it but I don't like changing anything affecting the fit.
Old 01-16-16, 10:02 AM
Jim from Boston

Originally Posted by StanSeven
I've got what most people think is a very expensive bike - custom carbon, Di2, Zipp wheels, etc. I love letting others ride it but I don't like changing anything affecting the fit

Originally Posted by Kindaslow
The cost of my bikes is not what keeps me from letting others ride them. I, like a lot of you, spend a lot of time getting my bikes just to my liking. So, I struggle letting others ride them. I would much rather rent a bike for a friend in from out of town. Sad, but true.
I don't think that is sad, but nice. I have a beater bike (quality mountain bike) to lend, and my bike shop one block away rents nice bikes. I think a friend who could appreciate an expensive bike would not ask to ride it (far).

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 01-16-16 at 01:01 PM.
Old 01-16-16, 10:04 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts

try Seth Godin's definitions

What is a high end bicycle, anyway?
Old 01-16-16, 10:13 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I guess I think that when you get into the 12 to 15 thousand dollar bikes, you have to realize you could purchase a reasonably good brand new car. The bikes you get are simply CF reinforced plastic. My question is------------just what does a 15 thousand dollar bike have that a 7500 dollar bike doesnt have?
Old 01-16-16, 10:21 AM
Jim from Boston

try Seth Godin's definitions

What is a high end bicycle, anyway?
So I read that essay, and here’s what he said about riding an expensive bike:

“This explains why the owners of high end custom bicycles don't typically hang them as works of art but ride them as an enhancement to their workout time. The time one spends riding a bike is very selfish and expensive, when compared to time spent with family or making a living. As such, an improvement of the quality of that time and the results of the time spent is quite valuable. This is why so many people who get custom bicycles seem to ride them more. They enjoy riding more! They have learned that a bike ride without the pain, discomfort or negative handling characteristics of some stock bikes is life changing and can make cycling the basis of a healthy active lifestyle.”

I actually similarly defend my enjoyment of an expensive bike.

…My average speed stayed the same, but I think I was hampered by injuries from the accident, and I believe the new bike compensated at least to maintain my average speed. I did note that I was more inclined to sprint (successfully) to beat traffic lights before they turned red.

I further craved the smoothness of the ride, including the shifting, making cycle-commuting more pleasurable. Of greatest benefit, while long (greater than 40 mile) rides took the same amount of time as before, I felt much less tired at the end....

… The naysayers just don’t believe a bike such as mine is worth it, though likely haven’t had enough saddle time on one to appreciate it.

To those disbelievers, and to the OP, my response is, at least I have no buyer’s remorse over what I may be missing
Why risk that satifaction to someone else’s curiousity (or impetuousity)?

Frankly though, I found his definition of a high-end bike as precise as one I once read on Bike Forums, "Lighter than a f@rt, and more expensive than a divorce.”

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 01-16-16 at 12:58 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.