Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Complete kit for every bike?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-16, 03:15 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts

I find that lately I'm using a backpack for cycling even though I don't particularly like wearing it. The reason is that I'm likely to be leading any bike ride my family takes, and between us we now have 6 solo bikes plus tandem and a Strider and a trailer. So it's more convenient for me to have tubes and pump and patches and tools and lock and lunch and clothes in a single bag.

How about you? If you have more than one rig - say for example a winter bike just because it's winter right now - does it have its own kit or do you transfer it from one bike to another?
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 01-12-16, 03:39 PM
TriDanny47

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I try to have dedicated gear for each bike I own, it's just easier even if it does mean more "stuff" to buy. Of course, I also have different types of bikes, and do different styles of riding, so it's kind of a necessity in a way, some things are universal, some aren't.

The really pricey things, like my Garmin, go bike to bike as needed.
Old 01-12-16, 03:41 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
I prefer the one kit per bike, but that's because all my bikes have different tube size (700x23, 29"x2.0, 26"x2.3"), so that's a lot of tube swapping. I generally run a very minimalist kit, 1 tube, 1 patch kit, 2 CO2, inflator & multi-tool, realistically most of those are consumables other than the multi-tool and inflator but that's like $20 total.
Old 01-12-16, 03:42 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I have a road bike, FG, SSCX, and an old beater MTB. The road bike has its own saddle bag; the FG and SSCX both require a 15mm wrench, so they share the same flat kit; and the beater has super heavy tires and I never ride farther than I could walk on that bike, so I don't even bother.
Old 01-12-16, 03:48 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18382 Post(s)
Liked 4,515 Times in 3,355 Posts
I've tried to separate stuff a bit, but when it gets down to it, I normally re-use the same stuff for multiple bikes.
I.E. I'll carry 1 chain tool, 1 universal spoke wrench, tubes, and etc with me.

The biggest thing is that I usually skip the 20" tubes (trailer), and so far have been fine. And my cargo bike doesn't really match the rest of the stuff. So, I may end up getting stuck patching. Actually, I attempted to patch my folder on the bike as I couldn't find the 15mm wrench for the IGH at the time.

I have a small Camelback pack (bladder leaked, so I just have been using the pack), but I tend to overfill it, so lately I've been carrying a normal sized backpack quite a bit.

'I have a rack on a couple of bikes, but I've moved away from using panniers for normal town runs. Either pack, or trailer.
Old 01-12-16, 03:52 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10971 Post(s)
Liked 7,498 Times in 4,194 Posts
I dont have an entire setup for each bike- it'd be too expensive and most wouldnt be used often enough. For family rides, I have a rack on a couple bikes and either slap a trunk bag or pannier full of everything to those bikes, or we use the bags that come on the WeeHoo to hold any bike maintenance gear and misc stuff needed like jackets, toys, etc.
For group day and night rides, I again either use the trunk bag, a pannier, or decently sized wedge bags I got on amazon for $12 each. Fantastic quality wedge bags with expandable size and solid zippers.

I do have doubles of everything, and they are usually already on bikes, so I just have to move the pannier or trunk bag or wedge, depending on what I want to bring and what I am riding.
Old 01-12-16, 06:41 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,870 Times in 1,439 Posts
I have multiple pieces of bike luggage (trunk bag, panniers, frame bag, seat bag, messenger bag, backpack) that I use frequently. The choice depends partly on which bike I'm going to use, but also partly on my mood. Each of these bags has its own multitool and tire levers that are always kept in the bag. I also have dedicated inflation devices (pump or CO2) that I leave in the bags I use most frequently. The intent behind this scheme is to make sure that I have at least the bare essentials if I go out for a ride and forget to check what I'm bringing. I also have Topeak MTX racks on three of my bikes so that the trunk bag (the piece I use most often) can easily be moved between them.
Old 01-12-16, 07:08 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Each of my bikes has its own Road Morph G pump and seat bag stocked with multi-tool, tire levers, tube or two, patch kit, spare key to my building (I leave my keys at work far too often), chap-stick, about $20 in cash, and copy of my ID and insurance card.

All three bikes have their own front blinky, the two "commuters" have their own dynamo lighting systems, but they all share the one Dinotte 300R rear blinky.
Old 01-12-16, 07:17 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I have a complete kit for every bike:

Seat bag with tube, patch kit, tire levers, wrench (nutted IGH axles), allen keys.
Mini pump.
Lock.

Each bike has its own front and rear lights.

Likewise for my spouse's and kids' bikes.
Old 01-12-16, 07:25 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
What made me think of this last night was, I did a MTB ride home in the dark. I did have my headlight that I pulled off my usual commuter. I really wanted not just more light, but a head lamp that would go where I looked rather than just where the handlebars were pointed.
Genesis 49:16-17