Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

What do you do when it's -10F when you wake up... Ride before it warms up too much!

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

What do you do when it's -10F when you wake up... Ride before it warms up too much!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-16, 01:18 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts

Took my Pugsley out for 25 miles. Serious hard work, took over 2-1/2 hours with only one short stop. Only thing that got cold were my feet, I needed to get off for a short jog every 30 to 45 minutes to get the circulation going to my feet.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20160110_092157368_HDR.jpg (104.0 KB, 36 views)
Old 01-10-16, 01:19 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,472 Times in 2,079 Posts
Cool beans; it's only zero in Des Moines which puts my bike ride today in shame,
Old 01-10-16, 05:14 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Two follow up items, that ride took more it off me then I'd expect and surprisingly I ended up dehydrated... Took a couple hours to figure out why I was feeling weak and queasy, drank lots of water and felt much better. I know I was sweating a lot, but drank a lot of water during the ride too. Lessons I need to learn before the Frozen Forty next month.
Old 01-10-16, 06:39 PM
reverborama
Broom Wagon Fodder

Bikes: Fuji Supreme; Kona Wo; Nashbar road frame custom build; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx, American Flyer muscle bike, Motobecane Mulekick

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 30 Posts
I got out while it was still 2 or 3 below. Less than 10 miles -- I started having problems with my goggles fogging up. My feet were a little cold but the rest of me was plenty warm. I'm sure not ready for the Frozen 40, that's for sure!
Old 01-10-16, 07:36 PM
loky1179

Bikes: 2x Bianchi, 2x Specialized, 3x Schwinns

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
I turned over and went back to sleep.
Old 01-10-16, 07:47 PM
BikingZombie

Bikes: Surly CC

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Way to go! Love the selfie

Forecast for tomorrow morning is -7. Looking forward to testing out my new gloves (45Nrth Sturmfist 4)
Old 01-11-16, 07:24 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by reverborama
I got out while it was still 2 or 3 below. Less than 10 miles -- I started having problems with my goggles fogging up. My feet were a little cold but the rest of me was plenty warm. I'm sure not ready for the Frozen 40, that's for sure!
I stopped using googles a while ago, they'd fog and freeze (& for the record, I'm a snowboarder and have high quality snowboard googles). Now I use aviators, for as long as I can. They will fog and freeze too - after about 8 miles yesterday, I had to put the glasses away and go bare faced.

I think my feet are going to need chemical heat pads for sub-zero rides. Not my favorite choice, but not sure where else to go.
Old 01-11-16, 08:15 AM
intransit1217

Bikes: 2 Masi giramondo

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Bravo HT ! I took the trash out in neg 3 this am and when I came back in I gagged. I'm afraid I've found my limit to the cold.
Old 01-11-16, 08:33 AM
TriDanny47

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
I think my feet are going to need chemical heat pads for sub-zero rides. Not my favorite choice, but not sure where else to go.
Have you ever considered Li battery heated boots or insoles? I have several pair of Columbia heated boots that I love. I've wanted to try a pair of heated insoles to allow me more options in footwear when I ride, but haven't yet. Probably will order some soon, to go with a new pair of 45nrth Wolfgar I just ordered.
Old 01-11-16, 08:44 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by TriDanny47
Have you ever considered Li battery heated boots or insoles? I have several pair of Columbia heated boots that I love. I've wanted to try a pair of heated insoles to allow me more options in footwear when I ride, but haven't yet. Probably will order some soon, to go with a new pair of 45nrth Wolfgar I just ordered.
I'd be interested, I haven't looked at battery heater options in a few years. Last I recall, the prices were very high for the few days I need the extra help. BTW - I have the Wölvhammer and LOVE them. They are good for me down to around 5F
Old 01-11-16, 09:11 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
I stopped using googles a while ago, they'd fog and freeze (& for the record, I'm a snowboarder and have high quality snowboard googles). Now I use aviators, for as long as I can. They will fog and freeze too - after about 8 miles yesterday, I had to put the glasses away and go bare faced.

I just recently bought new goggles which would have clear lenses for the dark winter days. I've yet to get them to fog up even though they've been used down to -22F.
I believe the non fogging lies with a few reasons

1) dual pane lens. This is actually a huge part of it. I've had several goggles in both ski and tactical variety, but these new goggles are the first with dual pane and these are the first I have not been able to fog in any situation.
100% also does make a full ventilated dual pane which would be even better, but so far I haven't been able to fog even the unventilated dual pane
2) I don't (or haven't yet, I'll buy a skull print balaclava tomorrow so this'll likely change) wear anything in front of my mouth. I've noticed that even though I get a bit on discomfort in the coldest weather, I don't need anything covering my mouth/nose
3) my new helmet (POC Fornix) has a goggle ventilation vents which push air down the goggles at all times when there's a breeze coming towards the helmet front.
Old 01-11-16, 09:24 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by elcruxio
I just recently bought new goggles which would have clear lenses for the dark winter days. I've yet to get them to fog up even though they've been used down to -22F.
I believe the non fogging lies with a few reasons

1) dual pane lens. This is actually a huge part of it. I've had several goggles in both ski and tactical variety, but these new goggles are the first with dual pane and these are the first I have not been able to fog in any situation.
100% also does make a full ventilated dual pane which would be even better, but so far I haven't been able to fog even the unventilated dual pane
2) I don't (or haven't yet, I'll buy a skull print balaclava tomorrow so this'll likely change) wear anything in front of my mouth. I've noticed that even though I get a bit on discomfort in the coldest weather, I don't need anything covering my mouth/nose
3) my new helmet (POC Fornix) has a goggle ventilation vents which push air down the goggles at all times when there's a breeze coming towards the helmet front.
Item #3 is the one that gets my attention!

I have the dual pane lenses, but I still fog and freeze. I never cover my mouth, even at -15F. I run very hot, and I do a lot of venting with my jacket to get rid of the steam and my helmet is my summer helmet with wool skull cap to allow max venting. However, having a helmet and googles designed to vent might be just the ticket! Lisa (the better half) might need this too, she doesn't run hot but has a lot of icing issues and can not go without lenses cause she tears up so bad in the cold.
Old 01-11-16, 10:36 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
I'll need to check out the goggles with glasses inside. If the glasses stay fog free I'll truly know the POC helmet venting works.
Old 01-11-16, 12:36 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts

Immediately after buying a different balaclava for cold riding, I ran across this Klim Glacier Men's Ski Snowmobile Balaclava which actually has a specific has a "Neoprene Breath Box Deflects Moisture Down And Away From Goggles":

https://www.amazon.com/Klim-Glacier-M...klim+balaclava

Unfortunately I haven't used it (did I mention I ran across it immediately after buying a different one?) but it looked very interesting for avoiding fogging up glasses or goggles.

P.S. They make another very slightly cheaper model as well here where a lot of the reviewers claim it worked great for not fogging goggles or glasses. Only common complaint is that it's to hot for milder weather:
https://www.amazon.com/Klim-Arctic-Fl...klim+balaclava

P.P.S. From reading through this thread here:
https://www.hardcoresledder.com/forum...balaclava.html

It looks like that second one (Klim Artic) is the warmer model, while the top model (Klim Glacier) is a less warm model. The Artic is apparently to warm for some people.

Last edited by PaulRivers; 01-11-16 at 12:54 PM.
Old 01-11-16, 02:28 PM
nripin

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i use the no fog balaclava, so it doesnt fog up the ski google i use to ride.