Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What mirror(s) do you use?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-09, 09:22 AM
bmt074

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm curious as to how many people have installed a mirror (or mirrors) into their handlebars.

I'm going to put one in as there are multiple points on my commute where it would be useful to be able to see cars coming up behind me.
Old 12-29-09, 09:24 AM
I_bRAD
Call me The Breeze

Bikes: 2004 Litespeed Siena, 1996 Litespeed Obed, 1992 Miele (unknown model), 1982 Meile Uno LS.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
mirrycle is the best.
Old 12-29-09, 09:37 AM
daredevil
cyclepath

Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A helmet mounted or glasses mounted mirror is best for obvious reasons. Take-A-Look is popular so is the CycleAware.
Old 12-29-09, 09:41 AM
travelmama

Bikes: Kona Ute, Nishiki 4130, Trek 7000, K2 Mach 1.0, Novara Randonee, Schwinn Loop, K2 Zed 1.0, Schwinn Cream, Torker Boardwalk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I_bRAD
mirrycle is the best.
Agreed
Old 12-29-09, 09:45 AM
daredevil
cyclepath

Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by travelmama
Agreed
If you are wanting to limit your rear visibility, I'm sure it works fine. I believe he would be wise to consider the much more efficient head mounted mirror. Why not?
Old 12-29-09, 09:50 AM
I_bRAD
Call me The Breeze

Bikes: 2004 Litespeed Siena, 1996 Litespeed Obed, 1992 Miele (unknown model), 1982 Meile Uno LS.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
well if you don't wear a helmet or glasses it's pretty useless. Most bikes have handlebars though. If you adjust it properly you can see what you need to.
Old 12-29-09, 09:51 AM
bmt074

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmm interesting what are the advantages/disadvantages of helmet mounted vs. handlebar mounted?
Old 12-29-09, 09:55 AM
daredevil
cyclepath

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bmt074
Hmm interesting what are the advantages/disadvantages of helmet mounted vs. handlebar mounted?
With a handlebar mirror, your vision is restricted by where your bars are pointed. No such problem with a head mounted system. I don't wear glasses either but I put a mirror on my helmet and when I don't wear that, I throw on some clear glasses which isn't a bad idea for protecting vision anyway. Pretty much a no brainer folks.

btw, the advantage of being able to see absolutely anything, anywhere behind you, far outweighs the burden of wearing a helmet or some kind of eye wear to put the device on.

I will give you this though, any mirror is better than none at all.

Last edited by daredevil; 12-29-09 at 10:02 AM.
Old 12-29-09, 10:03 AM
travelmama

Bikes: Kona Ute, Nishiki 4130, Trek 7000, K2 Mach 1.0, Novara Randonee, Schwinn Loop, K2 Zed 1.0, Schwinn Cream, Torker Boardwalk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by daredevil
If you are wanting to limit your rear visibility, I'm sure it works fine. I believe he would be wise to consider the much more efficient head mounted mirror. Why not?
Huh? Are you disagreeing with the choice one has made to state your claim?
Old 12-29-09, 10:13 AM
daredevil
cyclepath

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am explaining the the OP the advantages of a head mounted mirror vs a stationary bar mounted mirror. I'm not sure I understand your question but I guess I'll say yes, I am disagreeing with the choice of a less efficient mirror.
Old 12-29-09, 10:29 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
With a handlebar mirror, your vision is restricted by where your bars are pointed. No such problem with a head mounted system. I don't wear glasses either but I put a mirror on my helmet and when I don't wear that, I throw on some clear glasses which isn't a bad idea for protecting vision anyway. Pretty much a no brainer folks.

btw, the advantage of being able to see absolutely anything, anywhere behind you, far outweighs the burden of wearing a helmet or some kind of eye wear to put the device on.

I will give you this though, any mirror is better than none at all.
I am explaining the the OP the advantages of a head mounted mirror vs a stationary bar mounted mirror. I'm not sure I understand your question but I guess I'll say yes, I am disagreeing with the choice of a less efficient mirror.

Noting that the original post is from Somerville, MA, as a year round cycle commuter in Boston, I heartily endorse the opinion of Daredevil. Why bother to post to the Forums just to announce you are buying a handlebar mirror? Whoop-dee-doo.
Old 12-29-09, 11:15 AM
bmt074

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Noting that the original post is from Somerville, MA, as a year round cycle commuter in Boston, I heartily endorse the opinion of Daredevil. Why bother to post to the Forums just to announce you are buying a handlebar mirror? Whoop-dee-doo.
People come to the commuting forum to get opinions on bicycle accessories all the time - it's in part why these boards exist.
Old 12-29-09, 11:15 AM
bmt074

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the recommendation - I'll have to consider a helmet mounted mirror. Any particular ones you like?
Old 12-29-09, 11:34 AM
daredevil
cyclepath

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bmt074
Thanks for the recommendation - I'll have to consider a helmet mounted mirror. Any particular ones you like?
Personally, I use the CycleAware Reflex style on the helmet. It's easy to install and very adjustable.

https://www.cycleaware.com/index.php?...&products_id=1
Old 12-29-09, 11:51 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Okay, I'll take the contrary position.

I tried a glasses mounted mirror. I didn't like it at all.

First, it pulled my glasses down on the one side. Those of you with astigmatism or bifocals (I have both) know how that screws up your vision. Second, no matter how I tried adjusting it, all I could see was my own shoulder. So why should I use an "obviously" superior product that only ruined my vision and didn't show me what I wanted to see anyway?

I went with Mirrycle's Road Mirror for STI.

It mounts out of the way of my hands, yet right where I instinctively look for a mirror. Within days, I bought one for my second bike too.
Old 12-29-09, 11:57 AM
daven1986

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I used the MTB mirrycle and now will get an STI one (or two) when I make another order from sjs. I haven't had a mirror for a while now but I don't think I have missed it really however I am sure when I get another one I will remember how useful it was!
Old 12-29-09, 12:30 PM
colleen c
I am a caffine girl

Bikes: 2012 Stumpjumper FSR Comp...2010 Scott CR1 CF...2007 Novara FS Float2.0...2009 Specialized Hardrock Disc...2009 Schwinn Le Tour GSr

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Used a Reflex helmet mirror. It was ok and did the job needed. Then came winter along with bad cellphone talking CA motorist. Almost got swipe on a few occasion. I also needed some extra light when I noticed that car did not see me well in area such as merging on a city street with car comming out of freeway off ramps, so I ended up with a white and red mini blinkies lights on my helmet next to a P7. Helmet looked like somethinng from a Sci Fi film and it got so bulky that I felt like a bobble head. The lights also affected my vision caused from reflection. So then I took off the Reflex and went with Mirrycle on my roadie with STI and a Blackburn handle mirror on the MTB set up as a commuter. Both type of mirror has it good and bads but it all depends on your application and set up.
Old 12-29-09, 12:48 PM
daredevil
cyclepath

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tsl
Okay, I'll take the contrary position.

I tried a glasses mounted mirror. I didn't like it at all.
but we're talking about a helmet mount now....
Old 12-29-09, 01:12 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
but we're talking about a helmet mount now....
Nope. I checked. The thread title is still "What mirror(s) do you use?"

You talk about the ones you use, and I'll talk about the ones I use.
Old 12-29-09, 01:19 PM
daredevil
cyclepath

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tsl

tsl, the op asked about a helmet mounted mirror in post 13. That's OK, I don't always read all the threads either.

Last edited by daredevil; 12-29-09 at 01:44 PM.
Old 12-29-09, 01:38 PM
daven1986

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
tsl, the op asked about about a helmet mounted mirror in post 13. That's OK, I don't always read all the threads either.
Actually he only said he had to consider them - leaving it open to all types of mirror.
Old 12-29-09, 01:47 PM
bkrownd
kipuka explorer

Bikes: 1994 Trek 820, 2004 Fuji Absolute, 2005 Jamis Nova, 1977 Schwinn Scrambler 36/36

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FWIW, I have a simple Bell convex handlebar mirror as a backup (i.e. better than nothing) for those times when I can't effectively use my main M2Racer glasses-mounted mirror. In blowing mist or rain sometimes you can't look up to use a glasses-mounted mirror because your lenses will get plastered with raindrops. I would never want to rely primarily on the handlebar mirror, though. YMMV Fortunately my eyes don't have any problem using the glasses-mounted mirror. It is also useful as a pedestrian and to check out people behind you in the store.
Old 12-29-09, 01:50 PM
daredevil
cyclepath

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by daven1986
Actually he only said he had to consider them - leaving it open to all types of mirror.
So tell me tsl, why not a helmet mount instead since you obviously wear a helmet. And what do you use daven? Sorry, I just have a feeling someone is going to say a bar mount is somehow just as good as the other.

Maybe we have been over this however. I remember some time ago someone saying the head mounted mirror was too annoying to use. That response I could understand.

Last edited by daredevil; 12-29-09 at 02:01 PM.
Old 12-29-09, 02:17 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,869 Times in 1,439 Posts
I started out with a helmet mounted mirror. I now use only handlebar mounted mirrors. It is far from obvious to me that the helmet/eyeglass mounted mirrors are superior.

The mirror area on the head-area mounted mirrors is fairly small. You compensate by moving your head to increase the coverage area. I dislike this because you are focusing your attention away from the road in front of you and I find it very difficult to pick up the area you are interested in with a quick glance. For me, it took a lot of concentration to use it effectively. It also puts a small plastic object in the vicinity of your eye, which is less than ideal in the event of a crash.

If you have a flat bar, the Mountain Mirrycle Mirror provides a huge and adjustable viewing area which is almost always pointing at the area that you want to see. It's easy to pick it up with a quick glance and it provides a stable and clear view.

I haven't been able to convince myself to try the STI Mirrycle because I don't like the idea of having something jammed in my shifter. It sounds like a recipe for breaking an expensive part, even if it doesn't degrade normal functionality. So, on my bikes with drop bars, I use the SprintTech drop bar mirror (having compared it side by side with the CycleAware roadie and concluded that the SprintTech gives a better image). The drop bar mirror, which mounts on the end of the handlebar, is much smaller than the Mirrycle products. It doesn't give you nearly as visible a rear image. It's easily blocked when you're riding in the drops and I often bump it away from where I want it to be pointed. It gives, at best, a hint as to what's behind you. However, a hint is generally all I really need. If I'm about to make a potentially life-threatening move like turning across a traffic lane, I turn and look directly behind me, regardless of what mirror I have.
Old 12-29-09, 02:21 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl

This is the mirror that is the "ultimate" for my purposes. Has been for the last nine years. Bought it in Germany for 20DM (about $10)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Mirror.jpg (99.6 KB, 42 views)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.