Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

My Non-Riding Friends Just Don't Understand (Slight Rant)

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-10, 09:06 PM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 115 Posts

So I was doing a pretty decent job commuting through the winter months, riding through snow and sub-zero temps with little problem. That is, until two weeks ago when we had a storm that put a layer of glass-smooth ice over everything, followed by more sub-zero temps to not allow it to melt. This ice is so slick that even with my studded tires I'm sliding uncontrollably and it's forcing me to drive to work.

Last week I tried riding on two separate days and wound up crashing hard before I got even a mile down the road. Both times I was banged up enough I had to hobble back home and take the car.

Yesterday I was bound and determined that I was going to ride to work no matter what. I crashed hard twice within the first three miles but got up and kept going, then at about 3.5 miles I had a flat. Trying to fix it while sitting in a snowbank in the dark at -5 degrees didn't sound like much fun, so I pushed the bike the remaining 3.5 miles to work and caught a ride home that night.

Today we're having another round of freezing rain that will add an additional ice layer to the current one already on the ground. I'm starting to go nuts just staring at my bikes in the garage and not being able to ride!

The people around me act like I should be thankful that the weather is making me "be like a normal person and drive." So I thought I'd come here where I might find a sympathetic ear.

Okay, I'm done complaining.

Last edited by Tundra_Man; 02-04-10 at 09:09 PM.
Old 02-04-10, 09:20 PM
El Lobo

Bikes: KHS Montana Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think somebody needs a hug.
Old 02-04-10, 09:24 PM
exile

Bikes: Workcycles FR8, 2016 Jamis Coda Comp, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Sometimes I still get the occasional; I can't believe you ride in the cold, rain, snow, or whatever else nature throws my way type of statements. It's funny, my coworkers don't understand it, but the kids I work with seem to. I find it easier talking with them about what equipment I have or the clothes I wear rather than the adults.
Old 02-04-10, 09:26 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
I feel your pain though not as badly as you do. I do crave my 14 mile morning commute, but my condtions you would probably call balmy and ideal here in Boston.

One of my joys of commuting in bad weather is being able to answer that perennial question, "You didn't ride your bike today, did you?". My latest reply is that I really hate bad-weather commuting, but as long as people keep asking, I've got a reputation to maintain.
Old 02-04-10, 09:28 PM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Originally Posted by El Lobo
I think somebody needs a hug.
LOL

Thought it would be fun to add a little tongue-in-cheek levity to the forum.
Old 02-04-10, 09:29 PM
labrat

Bikes: Bianchi Road bike, Nashbar Ultegra triple cyclocross, Raleigh full XT hybrid, lugged steel Schwinn, Full rigid Diamondback MTB

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What tires are you using? The light fluff over the ice caused me to crash twice on Monday, but have been fine with Nokian Extremes since the trail and roads have been plowed. I managed to ride every day this week, but will have to see what it looks like tomorrow.

P.S. What part of town is your commute?
Old 02-04-10, 09:42 PM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Originally Posted by labrat
What tires are you using? The light fluff over the ice caused me to crash twice on Monday, but have been fine with Nokian Extremes since the trail and roads have been plowed. I managed to ride every day this week, but will have to see what it looks like tomorrow.

P.S. What part of town is your commute?
I'm running IRC Blizzards, which I know aren't held in high regard as far as studded tires go. They were a gift from a friend who is no longer riding during the winter. I'd like to buy a better set before next winter.

Tomorrow might be tricky, as the snow that's falling right now is pretty heavy. A couple of inches of that will be a challenge!

I live on the east side by Riverdale Park, and right now I'm working out by 57th and Louise. So I'm usually riding the trail when it's plowed as well.
Old 02-04-10, 09:45 PM
mtalinm

Bikes: 2009 Trek Soho

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I feel your pain though not as badly as you do. I do crave my 14 mile morning commute, but my condtions you would probably call balmy and ideal here in Boston.

One of my joys of commuting in bad weather is being able to answer that perennial question, "You didn't ride your bike today, did you?". My latest reply is that I really hate bad-weather commuting, but as long as people keep asking, I've got a reputation to maintain.
same here -- both with the 14-mile commute in Boston, and the feeling of obligation to keep at it (and keep my coworkers in disbelief)
Old 02-04-10, 09:50 PM
burtonridr
Wanderlust

Bikes: Specialized Stumpjumper for MTB and a specialized hardrock for touring

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yep I know what ya mean, everyone I work with thinks I'm nuts to... But I really enjoy it and I dont see a reason to burn more fuel than I need to.
Old 02-04-10, 09:58 PM
labrat

Bikes: Bianchi Road bike, Nashbar Ultegra triple cyclocross, Raleigh full XT hybrid, lugged steel Schwinn, Full rigid Diamondback MTB

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have to admit to being part of the nuts gang too. I've missed one day riding in this year when the air temp was less than -15F and the wind chill much lower than that. The lab director made a point to tell one of the docs that you know it's cold when I'm not riding.

On the plus side, the city does a fairly decent job on the trails (with the exception of the recent ice) and I can't figure out why someone would want to sit in a car and stare at the one in front of them when they could be out riding in a gorgeous environment. (See winter wonderland thread for pics).
Old 02-04-10, 10:20 PM
burtonridr
Wanderlust

Bikes: Specialized Stumpjumper for MTB and a specialized hardrock for touring

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I wonder.... At what point would it be too cold?

I mean, when is it so cold that parts begin to snap like tooth picks from being so brittle?

They cant do construction in Antarctica during certain times of the year because hammers just shatter from being so cold.

A guy that can answer that from experience is hardcore lol
Old 02-04-10, 10:24 PM
I_bRAD
Call me The Breeze

Bikes: 2004 Litespeed Siena, 1996 Litespeed Obed, 1992 Miele (unknown model), 1982 Meile Uno LS.

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Those studs must be pretty crappy if you feel you're in more control in a car!
Old 02-04-10, 10:25 PM
labrat

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't think the weather around here would ever be too cold for the bike. The fellow I share the rack with rides at -15 and lower. He has had trouble with a Blackburn Flea not working and disc brakes squeeling, dragging but other than that . . .

I just wimp out when the air temp is double digits below Farenheit. My glasses fog, fingers get cold etc.
Old 02-04-10, 10:35 PM
labrat

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
[QUOTE][Those studs must be pretty crappy if you feel you're in more control in a car! /QUOTE]

I have been running Nokian Extremes and can vouch that even with the Extremes on the trail there
isn't nearly as much control as a car since most of the main roads are clear and dry in the travelled
part of the lane.
Old 02-04-10, 11:01 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Attachment 136036

^^^My answer to just about everything that is bike related and not perfect.

After Hurricane Katrina spread roofing nails/glass/construction debris all over New Orleans I added this Surly Pugsley to my fleet with 2 ounces of Stans No Tubes inside both innertubes. I run as little as 5 psi (15 is rock hard) in the tires and once ran over a whole pack of construction staples. I stopped, pulled at least a dozen staples from my rear tire and just kept riding...for two more years!

Not sure if it will solve your ice problem, but it sure is fun to look at hanging in the garage!
Old 02-04-10, 11:47 PM
buzzman
----

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
first off, major kudos for weathering a South Dakota winter on your bike-! hugs all around.

But I think your tires are the problem. I've ridden my Nokians in absolute sheer ice, also ice with a layer of water, ice with a thin layer of snow. Ice is ice whether you're in New England or South Dakota. Most of the time in bad weather I'll choose riding the bike over driving any time with the exception of during or immediately after a deep snow fall- in which case I take the bus or train in to work.
Old 02-05-10, 01:33 AM
Pedaleur
Je pose, donc je suis.

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
We've had an unusually cold and snowy winter here (Denmark), and I'm actually surprised at the noticeable drop in the number of bikes out front -- maybe half as many as normal. But it gives me a chance to tease my car-driving Danish teacher that I'm more "Danish" than she is. :big grin:

(I only live 2.8km from the university, with swept paths the whole way, so I can't really claim too big of a commuting eWang.)
Old 02-05-10, 01:44 AM
ddez

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by burtonridr
I wonder.... At what point would it be too cold?

I mean, when is it so cold that parts begin to snap like tooth picks from being so brittle?

They cant do construction in Antarctica during certain times of the year because hammers just shatter from being so cold.

A guy that can answer that from experience is hardcore lol
Ive done alot of trucking(semi) in the super cold (north country). I find that -40F is the point where metal can start giving trouble. Ive seen truck and trailer frames etc. snap in half etc. around -45F. I should note these trucks were'nt the lighter built highway trucks,but the oil field/construction type rigs.

Last edited by ddez; 02-05-10 at 02:03 AM.
Old 02-05-10, 03:27 AM
daven1986

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Sounds like you need more aggressive tyres - then you'll be set
Old 02-05-10, 08:19 AM
vtjim
Belt drive!

Bikes: 2011 Trek Soho DLX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tires are definitely key here. Snow over ice is touchy though. The studs have to bite. If there's too much snow, the tires just float, and the only "traction" you have is between the snow you're packing down and the ice. Not very much. I hate deeper snow over ice, even with my good Nokians.

Edit:
Originally Posted by buzzman
Most of the time in bad weather I'll choose riding the bike over driving any time with the exception of during or immediately after a deep snow fall- in which case I take the bus or train in to work.
We're like commuting twins.

Last edited by vtjim; 02-05-10 at 08:22 AM.
Old 02-05-10, 08:33 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
I use nokian mount and grounds 1.95's on my mountain bike. 160 tungsten carbide studs per tire. Never slipped or crashed on this Boston junk I try to pedal in. Deep tread too. On my winter road bike I ride nokian 106's , 700 x 35, works great when there is less snow. Throw those other tires away. Not worth breaking bones. The nokian studs last and last, and remain sharp. Some people get 3-6 years of winter use out of them.
Old 02-05-10, 08:58 AM
Pig_Chaser

Bikes: '07 Giant OCR3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I_bRAD
Those studs must be pretty crappy if you feel you're in more control in a car!
+1, Are you running them at the recommended tire pressure for icy conditions? Maybe get a more aggressive stud for the front tire at least. I've ridden of sheets of glare ice. The only times I've wiped out is when I try to see how fast I can corner on it.

The only ice condition I truly truly detest is bumpy black ice. It can be ridden over by choosing your path and ensuring your front tire hits the lumps at 90 degrees, but doing that in rush hour traffic... I'll choose a different route.

As for too cold I have yet to see it. My personal best is -36C (gotta be close enough to -36F to not bother with the conversion). It doesn't get much colder than that in habitable places.
Old 02-05-10, 11:48 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
IMO if it's too slippery to ride a bike with studded tires, it's WAY too slippery to drive.

Luckily I have the option to work from home in those situations.
Old 02-05-10, 12:24 PM
corkscrew

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
All hard-core commuters deal with this.

My roomies called me "Effing crazy" for biking to work this week when it was 31F out and dry as a bone.

Just look the other way and ride, ride, ride!
Old 02-05-10, 12:51 PM
lshaped

Bikes: 2006 Raleigh Mojave 2008 Specialized Roubaix Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i planned to bike commute right thru the winter- this was until i crashed on a stretch of black ice and
severly bruised my tailbone- i could hardly walk for a while and sitting on a bike seat was torture.
i decided to hang it up until march- i didn't want to risk a more serious injury such as breaking both of my wrists like a friend of mine did. every day i go into the garage and see my trek hanging from the ceiling and dream of
my 21 mile commute, almost there

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.