Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Scwhinn Paramount

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-11, 08:18 AM
BobHufford
Keeper of the SLDB

Bikes: '75 Schwinn Paramount P-10, '86 Ritchey Commando, '87 Schwinn Cimarron, '91 Trek 990, '87 Schwinn High Sierra, '73 Schwinn Super Sport, '4? Schwinn New World, '76 Swing Bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Scooper
Do you think there's any chance Schwinn might have used French tubing and Simplex dropouts on a Paramount, and stamped the serial number on the driveside dropout?
Maybe they were prototyping with a new supplier (they did lean towards the French for components in that era), but the serial stamping is hard to get my head around. It would be interested to see if Waterford's archives have any info on that number.

Bob
Old 08-10-11, 11:21 AM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 57 Posts
Richard is doing a full correct restoration on my 23" ~1940 frameset (A853) right now. Next time I talk to him I'll ask him about it.

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.
Old 08-11-11, 01:58 PM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

I e-mailed Richard Schwinn and asked him if he had a spare minute or two to look at the pictures of the frameset in the OP and share any thoughts he might have about its authenticity. He replied, and had no objection to my posting his reply in this thread, so here is my e-mail to him and his response.

Originally Posted by Stan Cooper
Hi Richard,

I hope you have a moment to look at some photos posted on Bike Forums in THIS THREAD. The frame has Nervex Serie Legere lugs, French size tubing (26.0mm top tube), Simplex dropouts, and serial number 689 stamped into the right (drive side) dropout. That serial number would mean it was made during 1957 if it is a Paramount. It has a Paramount head badge.

Because of the Serie Legere lugs, the Simplex dropouts, the French tubing, and the serial number location on the "wrong" dropout, I was skeptical it's a Paramount, but Bob Hufford (whose opinion I really respect) posted a photo from the Waterford website of a fifties Paramount with the Serie Legere lugs. Now I'm wondering if I was wrong about the bike. It has a double chainring crank and and a claw-mounted rear derailleur.

If you get the chance, could you take a look at the photos and let me know what you think?

Thanks.

Best,

Stan
Originally Posted by Richard Schwinn
Hi Stan,

Interesting bike.

Schwinn did occasionally use the Series Legere lugset (I have one of my Grandfather Frank's bikes with a set - bike bike on the site). I'm sure this bike had been stripped, chromed and repainted. '57-59 seems like a plausible time frame. Our records don't start until '59. The location of the serial number is a bit strange, but this was probably a big transition period, and hence lots of experiments. One may well have been the serial number location for the then recently available Campy dropouts. Since it was refinished, I wouldn't rely on any of the component choices as "original".

Thanks,

Richard

my bikes

Likes For Scooper:
Old 08-11-11, 02:20 PM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 312 Posts
^^^This is what is great about this forum. Someone usually provides an answer and I get to learn something.

Lynn Travers

Photos

Likes For CV-6:
Old 08-11-11, 03:12 PM
cranky old road 
Let your bike be the tool

Bikes: '66 Raleigh Carlton, '70 Ron Cooper, '95 Bianchi CD'I, Zonal Frame with Xenon gruppo, Carbon Frame with Record Gruppo, Columbia Twosome, Terry Classic, Bianchi SX, Gravity SS/FG

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 194 Posts
Interesting that he didn't comment on the French dimension tubes.
Old 08-11-11, 03:53 PM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Originally Posted by cranky old road
Interesting that he didn't comment on the French dimension tubes.
I agree. I thought maybe the Serie Legere lugs were only available for French dimensioned tubing, but I have a circa 1958 Nervex catalog that states they were available for both French and English tubing. Also, Frank W. Schwinn's similar vintage Paramount with the Serie Legere lugs used the then recently introduced Campagnolo 1010 rear dropouts, not Simplex dropouts. So, personally, I'm still a little skeptical.

The serial number does fit the Paramount production apparent timeframe during which the frame was built, so who knows??

my bikes

Last edited by Scooper; 08-11-11 at 03:59 PM.
Likes For Scooper:
Old 08-11-11, 07:38 PM
npence 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Everyone for all your knowledge and helping try and figure this Frame out. any Idea what a frame like this is worth. Thanks,Nate