Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Advice with spoke reliability

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 07-15-19, 06:52 AM
dvai

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Dear all.

Yesterday, I had my first spoke break. The bike is a Trek Domane with almost 5000 miles. The tire was rubbing on the frame but I was able to get back home.
Luckily was 3 miles away on a 90 mile ride!

Anyways, my concern now is that more and more sprockets and going to "fail". That for me is concerning as I don't want to be stranded in the middle of nowhere. Will the other spokes have a higher risk of breaking?

Should I change all spokes now?
Maybe consider upgrading wheels? (if changing all spokes will be a significant cost)
Just change the broken one and continue riding?

I don't mind buying a new wheel for $USD 200 if that will give me reliability.

Thoughts?

Thank you all in advance for your help.
Old 07-15-19, 08:45 AM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Bring it to a good shop that's builds wheels and have them retension the wheel when they replace the spoke. If you break another spoke or two then replace the wheelset
Old 07-15-19, 06:09 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
If it breaks another spoke or two, I'd spend the money on some nice spokes and a proper build, depending on the quality and condition of the rims and hubs.
Old 07-16-19, 08:59 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
Domane comes in a lot of flavors and has been on market a while, so can't know which wheels you have. However, most of them have low spoke count wheels. Low spoke wheels can and should be plenty strong enough for anything. But the spokes just don't last as long. You can wait for spoke number two to break and then be sure all spokes are fatigued. Were it my bike I'd go ahead and rebuild the wheel now. And expect that rebuilds will be necessary every 5000. When the product manager specs low spoke wheels he knows it makes the bike more saleable, increases the wow factor. Product manager also knows most of these bikes are never going to complete 5000 miles. As someone who rides their bike you are an exception. And get to do more maintenance than someone who owns a garage ornament.