Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Heavier rider over 300lbs

Old 04-24-20, 09:47 PM
jettabambino

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Heavier rider over 300lbs

Hi Guys and Gals,

I am looking for some help. Novice rider here. It's been..... Oman maybe 25 years since I have been on a bike. Having said that I enjoy getting on the bike at the gym and figure why not. I live in canada. I am over 300lbs but I am in decent shape. Walked 10k yesterday and felt fine today. Not sore or anything.

I am looking to spend under 1000 dollars on a bike. I don't want one of these cruiser or fat tire bikes. I want either a mountain , hybrid or road bike. I keep looking at bikes online and can't see any weight capacity. I called a few bike stores and they said that none of the bikes could take that weight...

I have been going thru the forms and most of the models I read about I can't find where they are for sale.. or maybe the people aren't from canada.. can you please respond with the link so I know where to get these things.

thanks guys. I appreciate it and almost ready to give up.
Old 04-25-20, 09:35 PM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
If you’re just going to be riding on the road or smooth trails, a mountain bike is a good start. Typically the legal eagles say no to anyone over 300lb and often less, but that number is most often in relation to the wheels used. But if you look at a mountain bike, those components are designed to handle someone of say 250lb to hit mild jumps and drop offs and will easily handle a heavy rider along smooth surfaces. Just have the spokes checked and keep an eye on them and they should last well. I also consider a MTB to be a very versatile bike for a beginner. Skinnier and slicker tyres are easy to source and make riding paved surfaces far more enjoyable, but you still have the option to run fat tyres and head off road.

Once you get riding, you’ll likely find a discipline you prefer and upgrade to something more suited
Likes For brawlo:
Old 04-25-20, 11:14 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
Wider tires are better for heavy people, so you don't get pinch flats.

While you may be over the official recommended weight, most mountain bikes are not likely to break for a long time with your weight. If you get one with stronger wheels, that is even better.

Warranty may be void, being over the official recommended weight.

Last edited by alo; 04-25-20 at 11:19 PM.
Old 04-26-20, 10:43 PM
dfritch

Bikes: Cervelo

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 6 Posts
I ride 4-5 times a week 10 to 25 miles at a time and currently ride a Cannondale CADD12 after riding my CADD10 for about 5 years before passing it on to another rider who needed a bike. I use Velocity Deep V rims with 700x25 tires and have never had a problem.

I am 6'3" and currently weight 365 pounds and when I call Cannondale about my size on their bike they said no problem.

Good luck and ride like a lightweight!
Likes For dfritch:
Old 04-27-20, 07:51 AM
WestboroGoose

Bikes: Breezer Venturi, Surly Cross-Check, Nashbar Steel 'Cross, Ribble Endurance AL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
I'm 270 and ride around 60 miles a week, mostly on pavement. I use a steel cross bike with 32mm tires. Specifically, a Surly Cross-Check. It's comfortable, quick enough, and tough as nails. I built it up a year ago with a well-used set of Shimano 105 components and have had no issues with it other than an occasional flat from running over glass. You can get the frame for $500 or a complete bike for about a grand. Although the company doesn't seem to publish weight capacities, their frames are very popular for long-distance (loaded) touring and known to be bomb-proof.

I hope you get something soon and ride the snot out of it!

Surly Cross-Check with 105 components and cx rims
Likes For WestboroGoose:
Old 04-27-20, 08:17 AM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
I am around 285 lb. I often ride on rough trails, which test bikes to their limit. I don't go off jumps. I ride mountain bikes and fat bikes.

I don't break frames.

With cheap mountain bikes, with cheap wheels, spokes have sometimes broken, but it takes more than 2 years before breaking the first spoke.

One fat bike had quick release axles, which are hollow. I have broken a rear axle. I had it replaced with a solid axle. It has not broken since. I have not broken spokes in a fat bike (yet). I recently replaced the tires and brakes, as I had worn them out.
Old 04-28-20, 03:08 AM
raphec

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jettabambino
Hi Guys and Gals,

I am looking for some help. Novice rider here. It's been..... Oman maybe 25 years since I have been on a bike. Having said that I enjoy getting on the bike at the gym and figure why not. I live in canada. I am over 300lbs but I am in decent shape. Walked 10k yesterday and felt fine today. Not sore or anything.

I am looking to spend under 1000 dollars on a bike. I don't want one of these cruiser or fat tire bikes. I want either a mountain , hybrid or road bike. I keep looking at bikes online and can't see any weight capacity. I called a few bike stores and they said that none of the bikes could take that weight...

I have been going thru the forms and most of the models I read about I can't find where they are for sale.. or maybe the people aren't from canada.. can you please respond with the link so I know where to get these things.

thanks guys. I appreciate it and almost ready to give up.
I am a fair bit heavier than you, and while the bikes I use currently are a bit out of your price range (Bombtrack Audax) but really, anything steel will likely accommodate you. Main consideration, look for wheels with a minimum of 32 spokes, and at least 30mm tires. In the non-steel, Giant Escape Disc is in your budget and should do well for you. I started with one of those at 140kg, and it did me well til i upgraded.
Old 04-30-20, 03:44 PM
rodgeman

Bikes: 2019 Salsa TimberJack

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 13 Posts
I am started with a Specialized Sirus Hybrid.After six months I went to a Trek Marlin 6 (2020). Both held up fine. I just moved to a Salsa Timberjack 27.5+ which I got on sale for $1099 US. You might want to try the Trek Marlin 6 or 7. They would be in your price range.

Link to Trek Marlin 6
Old 05-01-20, 01:52 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I started on a Cannondale CaadX and just put road tires on it. I was at 336lbs at the time. Never had an issue after I put 36 spoke wheels under it. Now its my dedicated indoor training bike and gotten some more pure road bikes for daily riding after some lbs melted away.

You will be ok with most bikes actually, the wheels are where you need to have the concern. You didn't say how far over 300 you are, and its none of our business but if your well over 300 a road type bike will get a bit more difficult to ride for now.