Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Which bibs for longer rides?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Which bibs for longer rides?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-20, 08:33 PM
reverborama
Broom Wagon Fodder

Bikes: Fuji Supreme; Kona Wo; Nashbar road frame custom build; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx, American Flyer muscle bike, Motobecane Mulekick

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 30 Posts
What I tell people is when you find something that fits and is comfortable, buy a few. 6 months or a year from now it won't be available or the next batch will be slightly different.
Likes For reverborama:
Old 06-27-20, 12:22 PM
sarhog

Bikes: GR300, Grail, Live Wire, 5010

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 241 Times in 121 Posts
I’ve found RedWhite bibs to be very comfortable for long (and short) rides.
Old 06-27-20, 04:30 PM
CerveloS5

Bikes: 2014 Cervelo S5 Di2

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 13 Posts
Thanks guys for all the input! The Assos Mille arrived yesterday and I took them out for their first ride. The XL fit perfect (6' 185lbs), maybe even a bit on the snug side. The straps cut into my waist more than my PI so I ended up putting a wicking shirt on underneath, which I don't need to do with the PI bibs. The pad seemed less substantial than the PI elite. The AM definitely felt lighter than the PI, but of good quality.

Only did a 20 miler, but I had some numbness in the groin area, which I don't get with the PI. Hoping this will go away. Will get out for a longer ride tomorrow. Paid $110 on sale. Jury still out...

Last edited by CerveloS5; 06-27-20 at 04:35 PM.
Likes For CerveloS5:
Old 06-27-20, 10:15 PM
tigat

Bikes: 2021 Trek Checkpoint SL (GRX Di2), 2020 Domane SLR 9 (very green), 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2009 Bianchi 928, 1972 Atala Record Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 55 Posts
Similar experience the first time out. I wondered whether I had made a mistake. A week later, I rode them 180 miles in a day mixed with heat and rain and humidity and they literally disappeared. I hope you have the same luck!
Likes For tigat:
Old 06-29-20, 05:53 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by reverborama
What I tell people is when you find something that fits and is comfortable, buy a few. 6 months or a year from now it won't be available or the next batch will be slightly different.
How true that is - the most comfortable bibs I have are from Nashbar, of all places. Paid 34 bucks on sale! Should have bought 7 more, but they were all gone, never to return!
Likes For Wanderer:
Old 07-02-20, 04:39 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
My wife just gave me a whole bunch of Assos gear for my birthday! Shorts, bibs, jerseys, socks... Gotta say it’s the nicest stuff I’ve ever imagined pedaling in, and I have a lot of higher quality Pearl Izumi bibs & shorts. Assos is far and away the better of the two in my opinion. I love it!
Old 07-03-20, 08:03 AM
CerveloS5

Bikes: 2014 Cervelo S5 Di2

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by tigat
Similar experience the first time out. I wondered whether I had made a mistake. A week later, I rode them 180 miles in a day mixed with heat and rain and humidity and they literally disappeared. I hope you have the same luck!
Well, so far so good. Got out for a slightly longer ride ~ 30 miles on hot day with intermittent rain and didn't get the numbness in the bum. Going to try under-shirtless next time to see if the straps will dig in. I will say the PI strap system is much softer and better integrated in the bib than the Assos. Right now, it's a toss up - I'd probably buy whichever one was cheaper. Maybe a 50 miler will be a distance that separates the two?

Last edited by CerveloS5; 07-03-20 at 08:06 AM.