Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Will this bike stand the "Test of Time"?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Will this bike stand the "Test of Time"?

Old 08-18-20, 10:41 PM
guy1138

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by ramzilla
This bike was thrown out in the trash .... Thrown in the dump by the bike shop.
This had to be a warranty or defective frame. Bike shops are supposed to smash them before they go into the dumpster, though.

That said, I have a similar 2010 Fuji Pro-SL1. Great ride quality, but very heavy carbon fiber lay-up.
Old 08-19-20, 04:31 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5885 Post(s)
Liked 3,468 Times in 2,078 Posts
Originally Posted by C9H13N
It takes a very very long time for *anything* to degrade into nothingness in a landfill. Newspapers pulled out of landfills are still legible after 50 years. Aliens in the distant future will pull steel frame bikes out of landfills in rideable condition.

https://www.nytimes.com/1992/08/13/n...in-refuse.html
if you’re saying that aliens will prefer steel over carbon, I can’t argue with that.
Old 08-19-20, 05:11 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3801 Post(s)
Liked 6,617 Times in 2,594 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
if you’re saying that aliens will prefer steel over carbon, I can’t argue with that.
But will the alien hipsters prefer fixies?
Likes For nlerner:
Old 08-19-20, 05:17 AM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by nlerner
But will the alien hipsters prefer fixies?
That likely depends on how many appendages they have. Maybe they can't handle shifters . . . .
Old 08-19-20, 08:09 AM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 671 Times in 419 Posts
apparently, they prefer commuters,

Old 08-19-20, 08:52 AM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
In terms of materials, I can't say. But in terms of style? I'd say no, as that is a particularly unattractive example of modern CF.

Originally Posted by nlerner
No need to wait for 3D printing of CF custom frames: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/superstrata-bike#/
They claim to be printing "continuous carbon fiber," whatever that means. Everything I know about CF (which, admittedly, isn't too much) makes me think that "printing" it is nearly impossible, unless it is some highly simplified and inferior version. To that end, the characteristics and quality of this frame are probably equivalent to bottom of the barrel stuff, so I don't see much appeal.
Likes For robertorolfo:
Old 08-19-20, 09:23 AM
sheddle

Bikes: my precious steel boys

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 359 Posts
Originally Posted by robertorolfo
In terms of materials, I can't say. But in terms of style? I'd say no, as that is a particularly unattractive example of modern CF.

They claim to be printing "continuous carbon fiber," whatever that means. Everything I know about CF (which, admittedly, isn't too much) makes me think that "printing" it is nearly impossible, unless it is some highly simplified and inferior version. To that end, the characteristics and quality of this frame are probably equivalent to bottom of the barrel stuff, so I don't see much appeal.
Any chance it's thermoplastic? I remember that being experimented with a bit in the 90s.
Old 08-19-20, 09:31 AM
capt_velo

Bikes: 1988 Gitane Team Replica, 2022 Trek Top Fuel 9.8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...you should write to Trek and ask them how long they plan on continuing to make and sell the proprietary parts that make that bicycle work.

I'd be surprised if they said 50 years, but you never know until you ask. I can see some real issues with some things like integrated headsets, but I guess a creative mechanic could maybe work around that. The 40 and 50 year old bikes that I restore, repair, and ride are a little more forgiving in terms of parts interchangeability, but even there, French proprietary stuff is getting a little more difficult to come by.

Mostly, I think a lot of them are going to get tossed out by people who want to go faster, and buy electric.
So in your future, 3D printers aren't ubiquitous?
Old 08-19-20, 10:09 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26374 Post(s)
Liked 10,347 Times in 7,189 Posts
Originally Posted by capt_velo
So in your future, 3D printers aren't ubiquitous?
...I do find it difficult to envision a 3D printer that produces a reliable bearing, but that's probably just a lack of imagination on my part.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 08-19-20, 10:12 AM
bikemig 

Quality old steel frames were hand made. To my mind that gives them a cachet that robot made bikes lack.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 08-19-20, 10:16 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by iab
Oddly enough, by some obvious grace of god, I found a replacement for a 90-year-old entirely proprietary derailleur. And I have only seen a couple dozen more for sale since I bought mine.

_MG_8990 by iabisdb, on Flickr
...if you found that many of those proprietary derailleurs for sale, doesn't that demonstrate that nobody thought highly enough of the bikes they came on to preserve them ?
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 08-19-20, 10:49 AM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1635 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 532 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
News to me !

Same here.......
Grand Daddy of Grafteks......

Built in 1972....
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Likes For Chombi1:
Old 08-19-20, 11:25 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,023 Times in 989 Posts
Top-end carbon bikes are hand-made (or rather, hand-laid) using several hundred individual pieces each, with each frame size employing specific pieces. That is not light work, and I only state this for the sake of argument--carbon frames do not take two seconds to make via robot.

I know an all-black on black on matte black, big, bad, bike corporation Trek is an easy punching bag for some/many here, but how about something a little more dear? I bet this complete, plastic, garbage bike--that should have never been thought of by anyone with any registering level of IQ--will only last 3 months after it's first ride by some too-rich, carbon-worshiping owner. And to think (the horror!), that this shares the hallowed name of legendary (if not divine) steel frames before it! Treasonous, I tell you! It should be banished to the pits of Hell where it will surely succumb to heat and further derision, melting into a puddle of molten vanity, never to be seen, remembered, or spoken of again! A fitting end to such a spiteful endeavor. Woe to progress! Woe to innovation! Woe to creativity and beauty!

Am I doing this right, guys?

Old 08-19-20, 11:52 AM
iab

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 3009 Post(s)
Liked 3,775 Times in 1,405 Posts
...if you found that many of those proprietary derailleurs for sale, doesn't that demonstrate that nobody thought highly enough of bikes ?
Fixed that for you.
Likes For iab:
Old 08-19-20, 12:06 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3895 Post(s)
Liked 4,821 Times in 2,226 Posts
Why won't they survive in the same percentages that steel bikes do?

A carbon fibre bike can live as long as a steel one, IMHO.

I'm even betting on it.

Calfee TetraPro
Old 08-19-20, 12:40 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3463 Post(s)
Liked 2,826 Times in 1,994 Posts
Originally Posted by Mad Honk
In response to the OP,
As a guy who deals in Carpet Fiber every day, it will not last for very long in a real world. I work with golf club shafts made of CF and they are tubes and not pliyed areas as in Indy Car or Bike frame construction, but any impact to the surface create things called spider cracks that are evident with X-Ray technology. I learned that in Indy Car racing and was first hand in seeing it. The same is true in bicycle design and I have seen it thousands of times in golf shaft technology. All of that combines to my calling it "carpet fiber" into this example: You can take a piece of carpet and infuse it with Elmer's Glue and let it cure until it is hard as a board. Then when it incurs an impact it will break easily.
Carbon frames as opposed to Steel or Aluminium, they will all degrade from oxidation. The only difference is the rate of degradation. CF and steel have completely different aspects for the ride quality, but most of the differences have been overcome by the technology of CAD design for CF. Smiles, MH
in the marine industry, infrared damage assessment has proven worthwhile.
also, electrolysis is a problem, (this has shown up already in the bicycle industry) in the marine industry fabrication with an E glass isolating area at hardware mount points is pretty common on boats that are designed to "survive".
The epoxy resin can boil and blister.
looking forward, better chance that the cost to "restore" will be higher than the cost to recreate. replicas.
Porsche is now 3D printing pistons on some high output engines.

things will be different.
Old 08-19-20, 12:47 PM
ctak

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 146 Posts
Question for the speculators: what is the likelihood that our children's children will actually be pedaling, or peddling, Grandpappy's inflation-adjusted vintage noodles?

Old 08-19-20, 12:47 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

...I''m sorry, but I just have a hard time getting past the dropped top tube, dog pooping profile design. I know it's me, and it's a personal failing on my part, but there it is.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 08-19-20, 01:02 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,023 Times in 989 Posts
...I''m sorry, but I just have a hard time getting past the dropped top tube, dog pooping profile design. I know it's me, and it's a personal failing on my part, but there it is.
Some, er, a number of modern frames are really bad like that. I don't like it when it's done poorly. It's either the dog pooping profile, or, in super tall (64cm or so) sizes, it looks like the entire bike is "surprised" and recoiling back onto its rear wheel. It's a weak and weird look. We've also seen enough of the dropped seat stay archetype to get a good feel for them. More aero? Sure. Combined with the new era of "integrated aero stems" (that look like really ungainly versions of quill stems), and the line from rear axle to bars looks like a weird jagged graph. Aesthetically, it lacks a grace in continuous gesture or flow. So design-wise, it won't stand the test of time, IMO, as it wasn't really pretty to begin with. The pretty ones will always be adored, and rightly so.
Old 08-19-20, 01:15 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2468 Post(s)
Liked 2,943 Times in 1,671 Posts
Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
So design-wise, it won't stand the test of time, IMO, as it wasn't really pretty to begin with. The pretty ones will always be adored, and rightly so.
Eye of the beholder. It takes a goodly amount of paint and filing of lugs to disguise the gas-pipe, Model T-era origins of steel bikes. I love the way they look, too, but I recognize that it's an acquired taste, like the Pompidou Centre.
Old 08-19-20, 04:18 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 1296 Post(s)
Liked 1,885 Times in 1,132 Posts
I'm back again to discuss CF and design process.
I guess that 3-D printing will not yield CF because it is now only made of strands of drawn carbon. The properties of the strand are fairly strong, but become stronger when woven together. The tubes are constructed in two ways either filament wound or layer plies of CF sheets.
The filament wound tubes are identified by the diamond shaped patterns you can see when the tubes are clear coated. The tubes are wound with thousands of strands of CF that have been coated with a matrix. The matrix is a plastic based adhesive that melts and bonds to carbon fiber into a single tube. The strands of fiber are all wound around a mandrel and each tube like the ones in the early Alans and Treks that had aluminium lugs, are fairly thick to compensate for the elasticity an strength needed for the tube. These tubes are heated in an oven for about three hours to get the CF to bond together. That also means that they will de-laminate or de-bond with heat as well so at about 375* they start to break down and are rendered useless.
The second method is to use plies of carbon fiber sheets layered together over mandrels and then heated to get to the same finished tube. The sheets are layered together and depending on the way the sheets are layered, they will have different strength properties. The sheets are called pre-preg and come from a number of suppliers. Mitsubushi is the major player in this field supplying nearly 90% of the market. And strength of the sheets can vary widely and the weight as well. Mitsubishi also makes the sheets of pre-preg that are thermo composite as well. These are not carbon fiber completely but a mix of CF and thermo plastic based strands. The sheets of pre-preg are also what the Indy cars and CF bikes are made of. The one thing that is not explained about the making of CF is that it takes pressure to keep all of the sheets together while cooking in the oven to cure the CF. Usually it is with a saran wrap type of wrapping around the CF.
All methods of CF construction come out of the ovens in a rough finish and must be sanded to a smooth finish and painted or clear coated. The sanding or cutting of CF leaves a significant amount of Carbon particles in the air and are a microscopic size. This stuff is like the precursor to black lung disease, and needs to filtered out of the air to prevent the workers who are creating CF frames from this deadly problem. If you watch the you tube vids about the making of Look frames you should see the workers with airflow mask on for this very reason. I hope this helps a bit in the understanding of CF production. It doesn't explain how long these frames will last though, I am betting on not as long as steel frames. Smiles, MH
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 08-19-20, 05:08 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

...if I've given anyone the impression I don't appreciate these plastic carbon fiber reinforced wonder machines, I'd like to correct that impression.Half the high end steel bikes in my garage are there because some guy bought a lighter, faster, more speeds bicycle (now with disc brakes !!). He sold me his Cinelli/Colnago/Pinarello/SBDU Raleigh/Merckx/etc. because it was just gathering dust over in one corner of the garage. Also, he was nice enough to sell it for much less than he paid for it, often because it needed some work.

Without all the $5000 CF machines floating around, I'd probably be still be riding my Raleigh Sports. nttawwt
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 08-23-20, 07:39 PM
montclairbobbyb 
Recovering Bikeaholic

Bikes: 84 Specialized Expedtion, 85 StumpJumper, 85 Schwinn Cimarron, 2019 VO Polyvalent, 2007 Niner MCR, 2008 Niner SIR

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 47 Posts
So.true...

Originally Posted by polymorphself
I think a huge part of what we do here works because patina, even a lot of it, looks good on steel (even if that notion is a little romantic). You probably can’t say the same for the above.

On top of that, the C&V bike as we know it looks virtually the same to the untrained eye from the early 20th century to the late 1980’s. New people come into this hobby because this is a bicycle that has had virtually the same look and style for 100 years. A lot of charm and mystique and international history comes with that. I assume modern bikes change shape, size etc. much too frequently to leave the same lasting impression. But I guess we’ll see. I realize this doesn't address the question of reliability of material, but I'm not sure it'll matter if the allure of "C&V" doesn't keep up with the bikes.
​​​​​​Well-ridden steel bikes.. old diners and hardware stores... Some things just make me smile... just because...
Old 08-23-20, 07:40 PM
montclairbobbyb 
Recovering Bikeaholic

Bikes: 84 Specialized Expedtion, 85 StumpJumper, 85 Schwinn Cimarron, 2019 VO Polyvalent, 2007 Niner MCR, 2008 Niner SIR

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 47 Posts
So true...

Originally Posted by polymorphself
I think a huge part of what we do here works because patina, even a lot of it, looks good on steel (even if that notion is a little romantic). You probably can’t say the same for the above.

On top of that, the C&V bike as we know it looks virtually the same to the untrained eye from the early 20th century to the late 1980’s. New people come into this hobby because this is a bicycle that has had virtually the same look and style for 100 years. A lot of charm and mystique and international history comes with that. I assume modern bikes change shape, size etc. much too frequently to leave the same lasting impression. But I guess we’ll see. I realize this doesn't address the question of reliability of material, but I'm not sure it'll matter if the allure of "C&V" doesn't keep up with the bikes.
​​​​​​Well-ridden steel bikes.. old diners and hardware stores... Some things just make me smile... just because...
Likes For montclairbobbyb:
Old 08-23-20, 08:08 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4501 Post(s)
Liked 6,367 Times in 3,663 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Why won't they survive in the same percentages that steel bikes do?

A carbon fibre bike can live as long as a steel one, IMHO.

I'm even betting on it.

Calfee TetraPro
You could be right, hope you are in this case.

He may be the only one to get it right, in a class by himself.