Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Next tool acquisition - torque wrench

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Next tool acquisition - torque wrench

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-20, 10:15 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Originally Posted by RowdyTI
For a bit more money, wouldn't it be better investing in this?
https://www.amazon.com/Bicycle-Torqu...ct_top?ie=UTF8

Every single one of the written reviews is highly positive, and it's not much money.
If you read the reviews, they don't seem very helpful. No sense of accuracy or if it is truly a good tool really a lot of talk about price and really short reviews that will 5 star don't tell me much. I tend to be very careful around reviews on Billionaire Jeff Bezos' website because they tend to be poor and a lot of time short with little said and I bet some of it is paid or highly moderated to sell product.
Old 08-22-20, 10:56 AM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
For a bit more money, wouldn't it be better investing in this?
https://www.amazon.com/Bicycle-Torqu...ct_top?ie=UTF8

Every single one of the written reviews is highly positive, and it's not much money.
That does look like a very nice tool, especially if you are pressed for time and need the ratchet function. I like the simplicity of the non adjustable model I have, as it weighs less and is not prone to losing its accuracy. But the kit you suggested is more deluxe, for sure.

I have yet to need to tighten anything more than 5.5nm so the higher torque capability of the more expensive model is not necessary for me.

Last edited by DeadGrandpa; 08-22-20 at 11:01 AM.
Old 09-01-20, 01:34 PM
RowdyTI

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Comments on the two quotes that follow?

Originally Posted by Jason Curtiss
The “feel-method” of preloading threaded components results in a +/- 35% error. However, using a torque wrench produces an error of +/- 25%, which is not much of an improvement over the “feel-method.”

The problem is that torque is a lousy method of preloading components. Did you know that approximately 90% of the torque required to makeup a fastener is consumed by friction? So, this means that slight variations in frictional conditions may lead to dramatic changes in bolt preload. I’m not making this up, I found this at the following address: www.boltscience.com/pages/tighten.htm.

In real terms, a lubricated bolt at a given torque will have a whale of a different preload than a non-lubricated bolt. Perhaps we subconsciously make adjustments for varying frictional characteristics when torquing by feel, which may narrow the error gap between the “torque wrench” and “torque feel” method.
And here's another similar commentary from someone else:

So I finally got an old beam style torque wrench because the click type that I have scares me. The click type seem like they can go out of calibration quite easily. Anyway, I'm tightening a bolt on my seat post (manufacturer spec is 9 Nm) and my beam wrench barely reads any torque (maybe 0.5 Nm) and I feel like I've tightened the bolt at least 2 full rotations. It feels like the bolt head is starting to strip a little but I still haven't reached any relative torque (according to the beam wrench).

I start thinking about how I'm not registering much torque on the wrench, even though I know i'm putting a lot into it. I realize that I grease pretty much every bolt on my bike (finish line teflon grease), this is probably affecting every torque value on every bolt. I've heard that friction accounts for about 85%-90% of the torque value on a bolt, so adding grease to a bolt probably affects the proper torque spec by a ton. I think i'm just going to do "good-en-tight" from now on, even on carbon parts. Using a torque wrench on a greased bolt (since most of the bolts are 4-5mm I feel like they need grease) seems like you're just asking to over tighten something.

Anybody else think the same or different?
Old 09-01-20, 01:58 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 407 Times in 253 Posts
The Giustaforza torque wrench is the best one I have found and I have a three different tools. Very precise and a professional-level tool.

https://www.effettomariposa.eu/en/products/giustaforza-1-8/

Last edited by drlogik; 09-01-20 at 02:23 PM.
Old 09-01-20, 02:01 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,261 Times in 870 Posts
Originally Posted by 2_i
Forget the advice so far and get a modestly priced digital torque adapter, such as Performance Tool M206. I combine it with different adapters to get a reading on any torque I apply that is suspect for one reason or another. You change units or mode of operation by pressing a button. Yes people give advice in good faith but they were gaining their torque wrench experience in another epoch.
Anybody that assumes that something is accurate because it has a digital read out is dreaming!
Why would someone pay $100's for a good voltmeter when Harbor Freight has a voltmeter they often give away with a minimal purchase?
BTW, my HF meter reads 8% high on DC. Makes a 12V battery a 13V.
Old 09-01-20, 02:16 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Anybody that assumes that something is accurate because it has a digital read out is dreaming!
+1 Just ask a machinist, gunsmith or anyone else that works with high tolerances. A cheap electric load cell gives inconsistent readings and drifts. A high-end load cell gives much more consistent readings. Think a $20 dollar General brand digital caliper versus a Mitutoyo digital caliper for $115 dollars.

Same goes for cheap mechanical torque wrenches and high-end mechanical torque wrenches. If I had a $5,000 dollar bike I would not trust it with a $15 dollar torque wrench. One of my most trusted tools is that Giustaforza I showed in a post above. Expensive? Yes. (around $120 bucks) Worth it? Every penny. I know it will always torque to the correct setting.

Cheap tools cost more in the long-run.

-

Last edited by drlogik; 09-01-20 at 02:26 PM.
Old 09-01-20, 02:27 PM
RowdyTI

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by drlogik
One of my most trusted tools is that Giustaforza I showed in a post above. Expensive? Yes. Worth it? Every penny. I know it will always torque to the correct setting.
Cheap tools cost more in the long-run.
-
Untrue in reality, only in Utopia. See here:
The problem is that torque is a lousy method of preloading components. Did you know that approximately 90% of the torque required to makeup a fastener is consumed by friction? So, this means that slight variations in frictional conditions may lead to dramatic changes in bolt preload. I’m not making this up, I found this at the following address: www.boltscience.com/pages/tighten.htm
Another says:
Anyway, I'm tightening a bolt on my seat post (manufacturer spec is 9 Nm) and my beam wrench barely reads any torque (maybe 0.5 Nm) and I feel like I've tightened the bolt at least 2 full rotations. It feels like the bolt head is starting to strip a little but I still haven't reached any relative torque (according to the beam wrench).

I start thinking about how I'm not registering much torque on the wrench, even though I know i'm putting a lot into it. I realize that I grease pretty much every bolt on my bike (finish line teflon grease), this is probably affecting every torque value on every bolt. I've heard that friction accounts for about 85%-90% of the torque value on a bolt, so adding grease to a bolt probably affects the proper torque spec by a ton.
Old 09-01-20, 02:29 PM
drlogik 

As far as greasing or not greasing screws and bolts or using/not using Loctite, read the manufacturer's recommendation for the specific application. Some applications require a "dry" fastener, others have special settings if using a lubricant or Loctite. If you torque-down a screw to a spec of 5 Nm's but it is greased and the application calls for a "dry" fastener, then you will over-torque the fastener almost every time.
Old 09-01-20, 02:35 PM
RowdyTI

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by drlogik
As far as greasing or not greasing screws and bolts or using/not using Loctite, read the manufacturer's recommendation for the specific application. Some applications require a "dry" fastener, others have special settings if using a lubricant or Loctite. If you torque-down a screw to a spec of 5 Nm's but it is greased and the application calls for a "dry" fastener, then you will over-torque the fastener almost every time.
Exactly. Bike torque specs are almost certainly based on dry screws. This is why it's not uncommon to read of people using torque wrenches stripping threads and snapping bolts. A good lubricant on the threads, which is a good idea (anti-seize) can drastically reduce the reading a torque wrench is going to say even though you have the bolt good and tight. Like the quote I posted, his beam torque wrench was reading barely any torque yet by feel he knew going any further was going to be detrimental.

With lower NM bolts, like those on bikes, going by feel actually adjusts for real world factors better than any torque wrench can. As he says, "The problem is that torque is a lousy method of preloading components."
Old 09-01-20, 02:36 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Why would someone pay $100's for a good voltmeter when Harbor Freight has a voltmeter they often give away with a minimal purchase?
BTW, my HF meter reads 8% high on DC. Makes a 12V battery a 13V.
I stand by my recommendation. On the electronic side, I work with Fluke meters, Tektronix oscilloscopes and, on the mechanical, with Mitutoyo calipers. The particular torque adapter has about 2% accuracy, better than what you can achieve with typical analog wrenches. Foremost it is extremely easy to use, suitable for different torque ranges with units and operation mode flipped by pressing a button. Yes, the analog torque wrenches I have are consistent with the recommended adapter.
Old 09-01-20, 03:00 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Originally Posted by 2_i
I stand by my recommendation. On the electronic side, I work with Fluke meters, Tektronix oscilloscopes and, on the mechanical, with Mitutoyo calipers. The particular torque adapter has about 2% accuracy, better than what you can achieve with typical analog wrenches. Foremost it is extremely easy to use, suitable for different torque ranges with units and operation mode flipped by pressing a button. Yes, the analog torque wrenches I have are consistent with the recommended adapter.
I was using those same brands back in the 80's & 90's, although I bought my Mitutoyo mic's back around 75.
I stand by my statement. Just because you allegedly know the accuracy of your tools, you'd be in the minority.
Old 09-01-20, 03:30 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

I stand by my statement. Just because you allegedly know the accuracy of your tools, you'd be in the minority.
Unfortunately a mediocre Harbor Freight calculator beats the best slide rule hands down. Are there many people left who insist on the last being superior? Maybe not anymore. I once heard a statement saying that convictions never die, only people that cling to them do.
Old 09-01-20, 03:44 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Worth checking is that torque settings work for both clockwise and counterclockwise directions... pedals and cranks can have reverse threading needs. More important for the heavier duty (eg. 3/8" tool) torque wrench obviously.

To be honest with myself, I find I can do most everything with these 2 tools: A Ritchey Torque Key 5Nm (<$25) and this thing which i recently bought and seems to work:
https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-ARM60...8996632&sr=8-1
Old 09-01-20, 03:52 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2_i
Unfortunately a mediocre Harbor Freight calculator beats the best slide rule hands down. Are there many people left who insist on the last being superior? Maybe not anymore. I once heard a statement saying that convictions never die, only people that cling to them do.
I've heard a lot of crap over my lifetime. Most the people that "authored" these smug statements are dead.
ignore list-
Old 09-01-20, 03:58 PM
2_i 

gnore list-
Thank you
Old 09-01-20, 04:54 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,394 Times in 2,739 Posts
Exactly. Bike torque specs are almost certainly based on dry screws.
This is interesting to know. I've noticed many fasteners come with a dab of grease. There were a number of those in the 8000 group I installed awhile back. Should I have cleaned that off before I installed them?
Old 09-01-20, 05:19 PM
drlogik 

I've noticed many fasteners come with a dab of grease.
Are you sure it was grease and not pre-applied Loctite (thread lock compound)? I have also seen screws/bolts come with "something" on them but in every case it was a threadlock compound. The small bolts for my brake disk plates come to mind. If it's threadlock compound then basically the manufacturer "probably" wants that fastener to go on dry.
Old 09-01-20, 05:27 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Yes, yellow/greenish grease on the Shimano stuff. I've also seen the thread locker on the rotor bolts, as you said.
Old 09-01-20, 06:21 PM
drlogik 

The safe bet is to call the manufacturer and ask what to torque them to.
Old 09-01-20, 06:33 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
What bikes parts need a torque wrench ?

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 09-01-20, 06:36 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

For Shimano at least, all the torque specs are in the installation instructions. I was just trying to point out that "Bike torque specs are almost certainly based on dry screws" is incorrect.
Old 09-01-20, 07:03 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
You'd think that if general consensus is you should grease threads, then it wouldn't make much sense for the component makers to spec torque values based on dry, right?
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 09-01-20, 07:16 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
You'd think that if general consensus is you should grease threads, then it wouldn't make much sense for the component makers to spec torque values based on dry, right?
Duh, right? Especially when the instructions specify grease or the fastener comes greased.
Old 09-01-20, 07:56 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
*though after 40 years, a good sensitivity to 'how tight , is right' is developed..
but to tell someone else 'how tight?' that's where the standardized numbers come in....
One of my buddies in a Vincent motorcycle owners' group said the rule is:
"tighten 'er 'til she strips, then back off a hair."
Old 09-01-20, 10:17 PM
RowdyTI

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
This is interesting to know. I've noticed many fasteners come with a dab of grease. There were a number of those in the 8000 group I installed awhile back. Should I have cleaned that off before I installed them?
I would leave on the grease and use a small hand tool, going slow, feeling when a good tightness is achieved. If you go slow and have some lube on the threads, you'll certainly have sense enough to avoid going too far. I prefer anti-seize because it lasts much better. The key is going slow, not using too much leverage, and not forcing anything. A torque wrench helps a shop assemble parts much faster with less care, but isn't superior.

Given how cheap a top quality anti-seize is, and how well it works esp in giving you a better feel for what's going on as the bolt is going in and stretching, there's really no reason not to use it. Some say it's messy, but it's just finely ground soft metals so it's really not a big deal. It's not like it's some toxic concoction.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.