Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Need advise on a new wheel set

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Need advise on a new wheel set

Old 08-18-20, 09:44 AM
shmily_dana

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Need advice on a new wheel set

I currently have a set of DT Swiss RR1.2 rims with Shimano Ultegra hubs. I use 700x25 tires. I've had them for about 11years/50,000 miles. But now the hubs & the brake surfaces are getting too worn. So I am looking for something new. I probably will try to find someone in Tucson to build them. But if anyone has any recommendations for a 275lbs rider please let me know. I've looked at the DT Swiss webpage and they don't seem to have an equivalent rim. Most of their current rims assume you have disc brakes and are tubeless. I'm not changing my brakes. I'm not planning on going tubeless. I know my current wheels are a bit heavier compared to the average. I don't know what they weigh and it is probably not a primary issue for a new set.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions. Thanks!

Last edited by shmily_dana; 08-18-20 at 10:40 AM.
Old 08-18-20, 11:56 AM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
Look at Prowheelbuilder.com. On that site they have custom built wheels and when you are picking the rims it shows which rims are recommended for your weight. They will also build them with your existing hubs, for a slight charge.
Old 08-18-20, 11:58 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Another vote for Prowheelbuilder.com. The Signature wheelsets are a bargain.
Old 08-19-20, 07:27 AM
Grudey1
Suburban Dad

Bikes: 2019 Trek Domane SL5 Disc, 2021 Giant Talon 2, 2012 Trek 7.1 FX, 2005 Trek Fuel 70, 2003 Trek 4500

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclist2000
Look at Prowheelbuilder.com. On that site they have custom built wheels and when you are picking the rims it shows which rims are recommended for your weight. They will also build them with your existing hubs, for a slight charge.
I ordered a set from Prowheelbuilder late Spring this year for my new Trek Domane. I love them. DT Swiss rims. I actually posted a review on their Facebook site. Being a big rider, it was clear that I had exceeded the tolerances of the Bontrager wheels that came with my bike. In less than 50 miles from being new they were making "straining" and popping sounds. They also were out of true. My wheels from Prowheelbuilder are still like brand new after 300 miles.
Old 08-19-20, 08:24 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2593 Post(s)
Liked 1,922 Times in 1,206 Posts
If you can find the effective rim diameter (ERD) for your current rims, you can see if any currently available rims have an ERD within a mm or so and buy one of them. Get the old and new rims aligned (valve hole and spoke offsets), tape them together, and move the spokes from the old rim to the new. It takes an hour or two to swap rims over, if you've got any experience building wheels.
Old 08-19-20, 05:14 PM
shmily_dana

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks! Based on Prowheelbuilder, I like the DT Swiss RR 511. Or possibly the TK 540. I'll probably still wait for a bit. I'm surprised that my local bicycle shop said they probably can't build wheels for me now. I guess there a shortages of parts because of the pandemic. I did try to find Ultegra hubs online, and could not find any for sale.
Old 08-19-20, 06:36 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
There is a shortage of parts, long lines of people waiting to get their bikes fixed and they are using the parts that are making a shortage.
Old 08-21-20, 07:57 PM
Glenn6870 

Bikes: 2022 Giant Revolt Advanced; 2017 Giant Contend SL2 Disc; 1997 Trek Singletrack

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
I just received my new wheels from prowheelbuilder.com. For reference, i ordered on 7/26, they arrived on 8/18 ( I’m in SC and they are in GA so the shipping was very quick, plus i paid for the UPS shipping....no way in hell i was trusting USPS these days. Stuff taking weeks to ship from point A to point B ). Anyway. I got the DT Swiss RR521 rims, DT 350 hubs, Sapim Strong Spokes, Sapim nipples. Have not had a chance to ride them yet, looking forward to tomorrow morning. they look real nice, we’ll see how they ride.
Old 08-24-20, 09:15 AM
shmily_dana

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
So for those who have bought wheels online : Did they need any additional adjustments? Or just put the cassette and tire and ride? Did they need any period truing? (like after the first 500 and/or 1000 miles). Do the local bicycle shops charge for that? When I got my bicycle and new wheels, they did quick adjustments for free. I'm not sure if my lbs will do that, even if the rest of the bicycle was bought from them. Also, I probably would need to have them put a cassette on the new wheel. I don't have the tool to remove my old one.
Old 08-24-20, 06:57 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Neither of my Prowheelbuilder sets needed adjustment. The front wheel in one set is past 20k miles and has never been touched. Still has the original tubeless tape in it.
Old 08-24-20, 08:12 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 3,949 Times in 2,641 Posts
You might consider White Industries MI5 or if looking a little lighter T11 hubs, laced to Velocity Dyad rims with Sapim Strong spokes and SecureLock brass nipples or DT Swiss Alpine III spokes and their ProLock Brass nipples. The rims and hubs I am likely still able to get because they are made in America (Velocity for sure is shipping, I haven't talked with White Industries in a while) DT Swiss I can probably get as a lot of that is MUSA as well and if not I have Wheelsmith and possibly Phil Wood as back up (though I have heard Phil is having some issues as they source material outside of 'Merica)

So you are getting a super reliable wheelset (assuming made by a competent builder) and supporting American business which isn't a bad idea right now. Also did I mention custom colors (White Industries and Velocity offer anodizing in different colors)
Old 08-28-20, 11:58 AM
Kobe 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 178 Posts
I have 2 sets of the H plus son Archtypes with 105 hubs and 32 spokes that have been fantastic. I am about to order a new set when they come in from Velomine but that may be a few weeks away due to the parts shortage.

H plus Son
Old 08-31-20, 11:07 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
why not use a US Made Hub, that can be rebuilt .. then as the rim wears thin, that is all you need to replace..
Old 09-01-20, 09:10 AM
billm67

Bikes: Jamis Revenge, Fuji Roubaix, Raliegh mountian bike

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I have found one of the best things you can do is learn to build and maintain your own wheels. I bought a used Park Truing stand and have built three sets of wheels. I have used Ultegra/105 hubs with 32 straight gauge spoke on Sun CR18 rims. They have been very strong and were very economical. My latest build is for a gravel bike I put together. They are Deore XT hubs with 36 straight gauge spokes set up for disk brakes. I used the Sun CR18 rims and run 700x35 gravel tires. I think with all of the parts I have about $250 in this set of wheels
Old 09-09-20, 09:44 AM
shmily_dana

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Any last comments before I get these?
  • FRONT WHEEL SUMMARY
  • Drillings
    32 Rim - Approved | Hub - Approved
  • Rim
    DT SWISS RR 511 700C RIM BRAKE BLACK RIM $103.00
    700c/29er
    Tubeless Tape for 1 wheel Installed NO Valve (works with tubes as well) (Not available as Rim Only) + $6.00
  • Hub
    WHITE INDUSTRIES MI5 RACER FRONT BLACK HUB $157.00
    Spoke Type: J Bend
    QR Front 9x100mm
    *No Bearing Upgrade
    *No Skewer
  • Spokes
    SAPIM LEADER J BEND BLACK 14G OR 2.0MM SPOKES $0.78 Recommended
  • Lacing Pattern
    Three Cross Recommended
  • Nipples
    SAPIM POLYAX 14MM 14 GAUGE BLACK BRASS NIPPLE $0.15 Recommended
  • Weight
    890.76 grams
  • Price
    $295.76
  • REAR WHEEL SUMMARY
  • Drillings
  • Rim
    700c/29er
    Tubeless Tape for 1 wheel Installed NO Valve (works with tubes as well) (Not available as Rim Only) + $6.00
  • Hub
    WHITE INDUSTRIES MI5 RACER REAR BLACK HUB $344.00
    QR Rear 10x130mm
    *Ti Shimano HG/Ti SRAM 8,9,10 or (ROAD 11spd)
    *No Bearing Upgrade
    *No Skewer
  • Spokes
    SAPIM STRONG J BEND BLACK SINGLE BUTTED 14|13G OR 2.0|2.4MM SPOKES $1.92 Recommended
  • Lacing Pattern
    Three Cross Recommended
  • Nipples
  • Weight
    1059.96 grams
  • Price
    $519.24
Old 09-11-20, 09:11 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,198 Times in 2,355 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
You might consider White Industries MI5 or if looking a little lighter T11 hubs, laced to Velocity Dyad rims with Sapim Strong spokes and SecureLock brass nipples or DT Swiss Alpine III spokes and their ProLock Brass nipples. The rims and hubs I am likely still able to get because they are made in America (Velocity for sure is shipping, I haven't talked with White Industries in a while) DT Swiss I can probably get as a lot of that is MUSA as well and if not I have Wheelsmith and possibly Phil Wood as back up (though I have heard Phil is having some issues as they source material outside of 'Merica)

So you are getting a super reliable wheelset (assuming made by a competent builder) and supporting American business which isn't a bad idea right now. Also did I mention custom colors (White Industries and Velocity offer anodizing in different colors)
Good suggestions but I would suggest A23 rims...specifically the A23 OC for the rear. The OC allows for more even tension between the driveside and nondriveside spokes which is a plus for heavier riders.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 09-11-20, 09:15 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,198 Times in 2,355 Posts
Originally Posted by shmily_dana
Any last comments before I get these?
  • FRONT WHEEL SUMMARY
  • Drillings
  • Rim
    700c/29er
  • Hub
    WHITE INDUSTRIES MI5 RACER FRONT BLACK HUB $157.00
    QR Front 9x100mm
    *No Bearing Upgrade
    *No Skewer
  • Spokes
    SAPIM LEADER J BEND BLACK 14G OR 2.0MM SPOKES $0.78 Recommended
  • Lacing Pattern
    Three Cross Recommended
  • Nipples
  • Weight
    890.76 grams
  • Price
    $295.76
  • REAR WHEEL SUMMARY
  • Drillings
  • Rim
    700c/29er
  • Hub
    WHITE INDUSTRIES MI5 RACER REAR BLACK HUB $344.00
    QR Rear 10x130mm
    *Ti Shimano HG/Ti SRAM 8,9,10 or (ROAD 11spd)
    *No Bearing Upgrade
    *No Skewer
  • Spokes
    SAPIM STRONG J BEND BLACK SINGLE BUTTED 14|13G OR 2.0|2.4MM SPOKES $1.92 Recommended
  • Lacing Pattern
    Three Cross Recommended
  • Nipples
  • Weight
    1059.96 grams
  • Price
    $519.24

Change to Velocity A23 and A23 OC. They are about $10 cheaper per rim and the off-center rear rim will serve you well in the future.

You might also think about DT Alpine III spokes instead of the Sapim. The Sapim Strongs have thicker heads, which is good, but they are straight from there to the rim. A triple butted spoke with a thinner middle section is actually stronger because they are more elastic. If you want to stick with Sapim, the Force is triple butted but they are 2.18mm instead of 2.3mm. That may not seem like much but strength increases as a cube of cross-sectional area so there are significant gains in that 1.2mm
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 09-11-20 at 09:24 AM.
Old 09-13-20, 06:02 PM
dagray

Bikes: Orbea Orca,Raleigh Talus 29er, Centurion Le Mans 12 speed

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
Rolf Prima wheelset. Made in Eugene, OR. Pricey, but well worth it.

I run the Vigor RS (OEM) wheels.
Old 09-15-20, 09:12 AM
jfoobar

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
My ProWheelBuilder wheels were built around Kinlin XR31 rims and Sapin Strong spokes. I paid extra for the White Industries hubs. They can take 24-45 tires (19mm ID) and have a nice, sporty look and I have been very happy with them. This was a couple of years ago so no idea if they still use these rims now or not.

The great thing about PWB is just the ordering process. I had a nice, long conversation on the phone with a nice lady about what I wanted and she helped me pick the right wheels. I was very pleased with both the process and the end result.