Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Want to get trek Verve-45 or 38cc tires?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-20, 01:29 PM
Tricyclekid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I am 72 yrs old in good shape other than a lower back that can spasm and leave me crooked for about 5 days maybe 2x a year. I haven’t ridden a bike in 20 yrs other than a 15 minute test ride at a LBS of a trek FX as they were out of the verve model. I felt the very beginnings of soreness
about 2 hrs later in my lower back.

I really want a bike like that bike but realize I would be better off with a more upright Verve which is 5-6 lbs heavier with wider 45cc tires which will probably make the bike feel sluggish. The LBS said they would change the tires out from 45 to 38 at no cost.

i forgot to add that my riding will be on pavement.

My question is- am I defeating my purpose in getting a. back friendly verve by changing the tires to a smaller tire?

Last edited by Tricyclekid; 09-04-20 at 01:35 PM. Reason: additional fact
Old 09-04-20, 02:37 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Switching to a 38, from a 45, will be slightly more harsh. Handling and stability will be greatly improved.

Which do you want?
Old 09-04-20, 02:45 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
The size of tire won't make the bike feel sluggish -- it's more the tire construction and materials. The stock Bontrager H5 tires are very heavy, non-flexible, and will ride poorly. Changing to the same tire in a 38mm won't really improve the ride or feel of the bike much (in terms of making it feel quicker). Changing to supple 45mm tires will make a huge improvement, and will be better than a less flexible 38mm tire. In short -- it's really the tire, not the size, that is the bigger influencer over how the bike feels.

There are some inexpensive tires that will ride pretty well. I use and recommend the Continental Speed Ride tires. They're labeled 42mm but are really more like 38mm on the wheel inflated. These would ride a lot better than the H5 tires in any size and they won't break the bank.
Old 09-05-20, 09:42 AM
Tricyclekid

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wanderer
Switching to a 38, from a 45, will be slightly more harsh. Handling and stability will be greatly improved.

Which do you want?
i can understanding handling being better with a 38, but don’t understand how stability is improved with a narrower 38.
Old 09-05-20, 09:44 AM
Tricyclekid

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
The size of tire won't make the bike feel sluggish -- it's more the tire construction and materials. The stock Bontrager H5 tires are very heavy, non-flexible, and will ride poorly. Changing to the same tire in a 38mm won't really improve the ride or feel of the bike much (in terms of making it feel quicker). Changing to supple 45mm tires will make a huge improvement, and will be better than a less flexible 38mm tire. In short -- it's really the tire, not the size, that is the bigger influencer over how the bike feels.

There are some inexpensive tires that will ride pretty well. I use and recommend the Continental Speed Ride tires. They're labeled 42mm but are really more like 38mm on the wheel inflated. These would ride a lot better than the H5 tires in any size and they won't break the bank.
Thank you for the tire info. I will look into Contenentals.
Old 09-07-20, 10:37 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Tricyclekid
i can understanding handling being better with a 38, but don’t understand how stability is improved with a narrower 38.
It will maintain a "stay where you put it" attitude ..when cornering. It will also feel much more secure around corners.
Old 09-07-20, 11:10 AM
Tricyclekid

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wanderer
It will maintain a "stay where you put it" attitude ..when cornering. It will also feel much more secure around corners.
Thank you for the explanation.
Old 09-20-20, 02:13 AM
pakeboi

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 29 Posts
On the Verve , I'd run Schwalbe Marathon Almotion HS603 , 38's, tubeless .
Old 09-20-20, 08:05 AM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
If the roads you ride are in reasonably good shape I would go with the 38mm tires. Good ones will ride as good or better then then cheap 45's. I have budget 50mm Kenda's and while a fine general purpose tire, They stil aren't great for comfort. I will likely go with more supple 38 - 42 mm when it's time for new ones.

As far as handling and stability goes, I would worry about it going down a steep soft gravel hill at 45+ kph. But for recreational cyclist it is not an issue, Except perhaps in the rain for commuters, Even then it depends on the tires construction as much as width at these sizes.

The main benefit I got from a wider tire, Like the cheap 60mm tires on an old mountain bike was riding through water logged grass and mud, or sand where a larger contact patch is important.

Last edited by xroadcharlie; 09-21-20 at 08:46 AM.