Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Clunker 100 Challenge COVID edition #6

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Clunker 100 Challenge COVID edition #6

Old 09-19-20, 06:27 PM
Oldsledz

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by zukahn1
Interesting find as rookie at this will give serious bonus status if you can manage to ride 100km on a FFS type 2 drive train. As for dating the bike is 81-82 made in Japan by Panasonic but could be US built would need to sea numbers to be sure.
The 4 digit date number on the head badge ends in 9. There is a sticker on the bike that says made in China.
Likes For Oldsledz:
Old 09-19-20, 06:53 PM
Oldsledz

Originally Posted by Oldsledz
My wife works at the Salvation Army Thrift store, when she came home from work Friday she told me they got a bike in, she couldn't remember much about it. She was pretty sure it was a ladies bike because she was pretty sure it didn't have a top bar. The only thing she knew for sure was it had a big seat and a bag hanging under the seat, they couldn't get the zipper open on the bag but it had something in it. She was not the one that priced it but thought it was 10 or 12 dollars because it was pretty rusty. So Saturday morning I was there when they opened to see what it was, turned out to be a Schwinn World Tourist, I thing it is a 1989 but not sure, the 4 digit date code ends in 9. The bike is in better condition than I expected , with just rust spots on the chrome and was vary dusty. It has a front free wheel I had never heard of a front free wheel, its kind of odd seeing the chain rings and chain going around even when costing. I found out some of the World Tourist were made by Giant but I don't know if this one was, the serial number starts with SA and the bike was made in China. By the looks of the tires the bike has had vary little use. All it needed was air in the tires, I don't even need to change the seat hight. The price was 11.00, I got the bag open and it had a rain jacket in it, I was hopping it would have some tools and an extra tube. Before going home I road 7 miles, then went home and spent some time cleaning it, it cleaned up good. Today I put another 13.3 miles on it.

I have road this bike for 8 days in a row, that is everyday since I bought it. The bike is as good as the day the original owner got it at Wesley's Bicycle shop in Saginaw Michigan. It is the worst riding bike shop bike I have ever been on, not much fun to ride if you are going more than a mile or 2. The longest ride was 13.30 miles and the shortest was 6.32 miles after 8 rides I am now at 103.53 km So I spent 11.00 on the bike and the only thing I done to it is clean it up

Old 09-19-20, 07:10 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1924 Post(s)
Liked 1,954 Times in 1,086 Posts
☹️8 days of the worst! I glad it is over. It looks nice. Maybe it mak s someone else happy. I will beware Salvation Army bikes.
Old 09-19-20, 08:23 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 522 Post(s)
Quoted: 3228 Post(s)
Liked 3,854 Times in 1,436 Posts
After two weeks of not even being able to step onto the porch without my eyes burning from the smoke, we got a good rain yesterday and like a miracle the air is fresh enough to enjoy being outside today!

This is the first chance I've had to get my clunker out on the road. I took a 14 mile tour of the western suburbs, heading along my usual commuting route (which I haven't used in six months) and then winding back through some back roads in the as-yet undeveloped area south of Hillsboro.

I thought there was a real chance that I might genuinely like this bike, and that may still happen with some mechanical adjustments and improved saddle position, but I have to admit being initially disappointed. By the end of the ride, it was distinctly growing on me. Maybe it's just being out of the house for the first time in two weeks, but I definitely enjoyed the ride. It's been a long time since I've ridden a bike with flat bars. I gave them up because they gave me wrist pain on anything over a 30 minute ride. I was hoping this bike would have enough sweep back to avoid that, and I think it does. In the first mile, the shifting felt great but the brakes seemed sketchy. Over the rest of the ride those impressions were entirely reversed as I ground through the hard outer later of the brake pads (should have sanded them down to start with) and the derailleur decided it was going to jump around a bit whenever I applied much power to the pedals. (I think there may be a part missing because the cage started leaning in toward the spokes as the ride went on.)

My first photo op was the the Our Lady of Peace Retreat, just down the road from my house.

A pleasant but decidedly un-photo-worthy route through neighborhood streets led me to the intersection of Rosa Road and River Road. The county is adamant that this is a dead end street.

Google Maps says otherwise, but the Google Street View is exactly like when you're playing a video game and you get to the edge of the map.

As it turns out, @gugie and I explored this road recently and found it to be a pleasant stretch of gravel road behind a private golf course. It was definitely my favorite part of the ride today.

At the other end of the road, the county had not changed their story.

Before I knew, I was back in my storybook suburban neighborhood.

And, all too soon, back home.

Old 09-19-20, 11:17 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4670 Post(s)
Liked 5,769 Times in 2,272 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
I'm not big on kickstands, but I think it would be appropriate on that bike.

And lose the eggbeater pedals, go platform. This is a quick grocery store run bike. Heck, a Wald basket would look sweet on it.
Old 09-20-20, 12:32 AM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by gugie
I'm not big on kickstands, but I think it would be appropriate on that bike.

And lose the eggbeater pedals, go platform. This is a quick grocery store run bike. Heck, a Wald basket would look sweet on it.
You're definitely right about the kickstand. I've still got the one that came with this bike and have been meaning to put it back on.

The egg beaters are there because they came from the Box O' Crap and I want to use as many BoC parts on this build as I could.

As for the Wald basket, I don't have room in the budget for that. Maybe after the challenge.
Old 09-20-20, 05:38 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Quoted: 3788 Post(s)
Liked 6,574 Times in 2,580 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K

Hmm, so does the affinity for the recycling bin mean your bike is proud to be made from recycled parts or that it’s destined for the bin after accumulating 100k miles—or both?

BTW, that’s one of those photos that makes it look like your fork is bent!
Old 09-20-20, 05:45 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4670 Post(s)
Liked 5,769 Times in 2,272 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
Oh, it was bent, by me! Was 95mm OLD, now 100mm.
Old 09-20-20, 10:35 AM
Andy_K 

Hmm, so does the affinity for the recycling bin mean your bike is proud to be made from recycled parts or that it’s destined for the bin after accumulating 100k miles—or both?
Probably both, but definitely the former.

I've only got one bike with a fork that isn't bent.

Old 09-20-20, 12:13 PM
Classtime 

Completed the last of 100k this morning.

1990 Stumpjumper (base model w/complete Deore DX group):......$40.00
Rear shifter cable:......................................................................$3.00
Scavenged rear derailleur adjuster bolt:....................................... $3.00
Oury grips...............................................................................$15.00
Total.......................................................................................$61.00

It rides as well as every Stumpy owner says they do. It will be hard to part with. I'm keeping my 2020 Clunker Fail. I can't keep this one too.

Last edited by Classtime; 09-21-20 at 05:55 AM. Reason: Oops. Forgot the Oury grips.
Likes For Classtime:
Old 09-20-20, 04:35 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
Classtime Congrats, If I lived closer I would take that sweet stumpy off your hands, I have my eyes peeled for a Rock Hopper

Last edited by ryansu; 09-20-20 at 10:42 PM.
Old 09-20-20, 08:00 PM
droppedandlost 
small ring

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 925 Times in 370 Posts
45km on the Shogun 2-speed
It's been a long time since I've ridden flats for any distance. My feet kept coming off the pedals. It was annoying to the point that I forgot about the hop in the rear wheel.

Old 09-22-20, 01:06 AM
Random Tandem
Old Bike Craphound

Bikes: 1974 Teledyne Titan, 1970's Sekine, 1980's Kuwahara Tandem, plus a few dozen

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 31 Posts
The Definition of Cheating and Metaphysical Identity

In August 2020, I bought a 1978 Raleigh Super Course with almost entirely original components (including a 115mm GB stem that caught my eye) for CND$120 (then equivalent to US$90.47); perhaps I should have stopped there and just ridden my 100km. Instead, I succumbed to temptation and took a much darker path – I decided to gild the lily (did I mention that the Super Course was Gold?), no doubt at this point I should show you the fine bicycle I acquired, before we dive into this stem-winder of a tale:

As purchased, after the pedals and ratty bar tape were removed

The handlebar tape was trash, so I replaced it with some used white PU “leather” tape I had bought at the bike co-op ($2, total CND$122), and I added some flashy gold valve stem caps I ordered last year from China ($1.50, total CND$123.50). Then I began removing parts for resale, including:
  • Suntour Bar Con Shifters, Cyclone GT RD, Compe-V FD and 14-28 freewheel
  • Raleigh-branded SR crankset and chainrings
  • Raleigh-branded Weinmann brake levers and calipers
  • Raleigh Italienne handlebar
  • Original Suede Saddle and Raleigh-branded SR seatpost
  • Weinmann A124 concave rims laced to Atom hubs
  • Reynold 531 Reynolds frame and hi-tensile fork
and I threw in the cables, housings, chain and pedals. Happily, these parts assembled together well with an SR 80mm stem (actually what was specified for this bicycle in the 1978 Raleigh catalog, and is circled below) that I had bought from the bike co-op for $6, and I sold the assembled parts for CND$450. See below the assembly of removed parts that was sold:

Assembly of used parts removed (and added stem)

As a result of this sale, my budget became: US$6.45 (what remained after I had spent the equivalent of US$93.55), plus CND$444 (CND$450 less the CND$6 cost of the added stem) , equivalent to US$336.33; for a total of US$342.78 available to spend. To the retained 115mm GB Stem I have added the following:
  • Campagnolo DT friction shifter: CND$20 (it may be 20g heavier than the Shimano 600 Arabesque one that I bought for $5, but it sits just below the Campagnolo sticker on the frame... and some standards must be maintained, even among cheaters)
  • Suntour Cyclone II M-GT RD and ARX FD: CND$15
  • Shimano 600 Arabesque crankset and crankrings: FREE (pulled from the recycling bin at the bike co-op because the rings required straightening and the removal threads required chasing)
  • Suntour Superbe brake levers: FREE (the pivot pins had been damaged/lost, so I had to make replacements) and Shimano Tourney centerpull brake calipers (junky, but they are blue mink to match): CND$5
  • Brand New Kool Stop salmon brake shoes: US$8
  • SR Randonneur handlebars: CND$10 from the bike co-op
  • Avocet Touring 1 saddle and SR Laprade fluted seatpost: CND$10 from the bike co-op
  • Shimano 600 wheelset and salvage tires: CND$35 from the bike co-op
  • 1976 Raleigh Professional Mk IV frame and fork: CND$280
  • miscellaneous used cables, housings, stops, clamps, bottom bracket, pedals and chain: CND$12
The additions total to: CND$387 (equivalent to US$293.16), plus the US$8 for the brake shoes), so I have US$41.62 left to spend before I hit the $100, but I still need to tape those handlebars...and I no longer have flashy valve stem caps!

All of this reminded me of the discussion from my college Metaphysics course where we discussed whether a thing was still the same thing if you gradually replaced all of its parts. Only the GB stem remains from the original bike I bought... something to ponder as I ride my 100km (with my beaming grin). Here is a snap of my $58 Raleigh Professional Mk IV after my shakeout ride (I am seriously considering splurging to replacing the denim “strapping” that holds the rear brake housing to the top tube, but it is hard to deny denim from worn Levi’s also seems to go with blue mink, in a klunky sort of way):

The more things change, the more they stay the same (please excuse the gaping underseat bag where the camera is kept)

Last edited by Random Tandem; 09-27-20 at 12:32 AM. Reason: Blue Mink, Mink Blue; neither is a "real" colour
Likes For Random Tandem:
Old 09-22-20, 05:47 AM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

RandomTandem my head hurts after reading that convoluted tale but that could just be a lack of coffee. Nice parts swap
Old 09-22-20, 06:28 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,387 Times in 690 Posts
RandomTandem's post above should be a sticky to illustrate the finer points of bike junkie math. It's a textbook-quality example!
Likes For rustystrings61:
Old 09-22-20, 05:55 PM
Classtime 

Very XTreme bike for 20 bucks! Good tires, and those toe clips will protect your toes in the rock gardens where your Rock Ring is needed. Cool Clunker. The stem is my favorite part.

Last edited by Classtime; 09-22-20 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Stem
Old 09-23-20, 07:23 PM
Random Tandem
Old Bike Craphound

Bikes: 1974 Teledyne Titan, 1970's Sekine, 1980's Kuwahara Tandem, plus a few dozen

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Random Tandem
I rode 71km today to bring the total to 78.5km, only 11.5km to go (that's only 5,361 more hops to go, but who's counting?).
I rode another 55km on my 1982 Bridgestone Regulus klunker (taking us well past the 100km threshold), and introduced my erstwhile steed to its new life of craphounding:

30kms on I stopped to examine and acquire a 25" 1981 Schwinn Super Le Tour that has been set up with a Shimano Inter 7 Nexus coaster brake hub. To get home we pulled the Schwinn on Regulus' new towing hook for 25km:

After more than 150km on this klunker, I look forward to replacing the rear wheel with a replacement that is closer to round, and replacing the butterfly handlebars some regular drop handlebars, but, as usual, it was also a great ride.

-Will
Likes For Random Tandem:
Old 09-23-20, 08:09 PM
Kent T

Bikes: 2002 Trek 800 Singletrack, 1982 Bridgestone Spica

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
I am with you in spirit, in budget, as I just bought last Saturday, a Cannondale M 300, which was grimy and needed air in the tires, some cleaning, some love, and to be ridden. Might be short of 100 km, because of one week of Mom's pre-surgery quarantine on Friday morning. But won't quite officially put this entry in because of possibly not quite making 100KM. Do have around 15K on it in the first almost 5 days. Total investment so far, $65 and some elbow grease. It's a nice ride, and nimble and comfortable. Will get to ride again next Thursday with luck and Mom doing fine.
Old 09-23-20, 08:40 PM
ryansu

I came full circle with this years Clunker having sold it and made a tidy $100 profit (thank you Covid?) I actually drove out to deliver the bike which I never do but I fear this market is collapsing

Thanks for the memories Univega Hybrid...

post clunker with new chain cassette grips and rack
Old 09-23-20, 08:41 PM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 147 Posts
1st of hopefully two clunkers!

Picked this up off fleaBay for $86. Trying to find cable/housing + new chain for $14 to stay in this and make the riding pleasurable LOL.

Using for work ride basically as is. 1986 prelude with 27" wheels and cyclone mechs. Rides a treat even as is. Also have an 89 lude dressed up with Shimano rsx brifters 3x7. This version is a little more relaxed geometry. Slightly small, big picture would want longer reach stem and longer seat post.

Likes For Senrab62:
Old 09-23-20, 08:50 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Quoted: 3788 Post(s)
Liked 6,574 Times in 2,580 Posts
Originally Posted by ryansu
I came full circle with this years Clunker having sold it and made a tidy $100 profit (thank you Covid?) I actually drove out to deliver the bike which I never do but I fear this market is collapsing

Thanks for the memories Univega Hybrid...
The afternoon I got home from completing my 100k on my '69 Raleigh Sprite 5-speed COVID build, I listed it on CL and sold it that evening for $100. Seemed like the holistic thing to do.

Last edited by nlerner; 09-24-20 at 05:29 AM.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 09-24-20, 07:29 AM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 575 Posts
Originally Posted by ryansu
I fear this market is collapsing
It looks that way here as well, bike prices have tumbled and most of the bikes left have been listed for quite awhile. The brand new WalMart beach cruisers that were selling for twice retail a few weeks are now languishing on local CL and FB Marketplace even though now priced below original retail. The $200 Schwinn Sprints, Travelers, etc are dropping to $100 or less which is still too much but prices are coming down.The "C & V" pickings seem to have dried up for now too. Although I did snag a decent '85 Raleigh Competition for reasonable money last week.
Old 09-26-20, 05:46 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1504 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,127 Posts
Complete and ready to ride!
Hoods and tape cost me $32 with shipping, so that's how much I'm into this one for.

I put 47 kilometers on it yesterday. The ride quality was impressive. A middle-of-the-line bike with butted cro-mo main tubes and high-ten fork; it was comfortable, responsive, and predictable.
The tires, marked "27x1," measure at 23mm wide. It's been at least two decades since I rode on tires this narrow. They made me a little nervous when riding pavement with wide cracks in it and, pumped up to 80 pounds to avoid pinch flats, a bit uncomfortable on the gravel portion of the ride, but they handled the packed gravel/dirt just fine.

Brent
Likes For obrentharris:
Old 09-26-20, 07:43 PM
Oldsledz

I got this Huffy Sportsman 3 speed a couple weeks ago at a yard sale for 5.00 . It was missing handle bars and front brakes, but I had the spare parts on hand. It was made around 1964 in England by Raleigh for Huffy. Someone had changed the SA back wheel for a 3 speed Shimano wheel the threads in the shift cable were not compatible with the original shifter so I put a spare SA back wheel that I had on the bike. I cleaned the frame up and road the bike 6.6 miles today. I need to put front brakes on it and grease the bearings before riding it much more. Photos from the day I got it and todays ride.

Likes For Oldsledz:
Old 09-26-20, 11:32 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by obrentharris
Complete and ready to ride!
That's a good looking bike! What's it doing in this competition?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.