Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What to Eat Before A Long Ride

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What to Eat Before A Long Ride

Old 09-24-20, 12:03 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
I am a Retired Baker. The White Bread Contains Vitamins required by the Feds.
This is an amazingly poorly-informed statement. Do some research on the history of wheat. The transition from decentralized mills to centralized milling, and the subsequent separation of constituent parts of the wheat kernel as a part of milling to ensure shelf life. I'm not going to spoon feed you the answer. Find out for yourself. You need to learn the truth. Sad.
Old 09-24-20, 01:45 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by rachel120
Forgive my genuine lack of knowledge, but why would carbs be eaten before a long ride? I would think that a nearly all protein meal would keep the blood sugar level the whole trip. Wouldn't carbs cause a crash a few hours later?

It does for me. I eat my usual high protein breakfast before my long rides, two eggs, a chicken sausage and low carb tortilla, an orange and about a quart of coffee.

I tried whole grain cereal and oatmeal a few times and really started dragging about 30 miles into the ride. I also tried eating a little more than usual, and that gave me a stomach ache for the first 20 miles or so. My breakfast is a 7 day a week routine, and I just seem to do better if I stick with it before my usual Saturday century.
Old 09-24-20, 02:03 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by luddite_68
Maybe you see so many fat cyclists is because it is a great way to lose weight. As for grossly overestimating, what no one on this thread guestimating calories burned has taken into account is the weight of the rider. This nifty calculator is actually right in line with my fitbit of ~2500cal per ride.

I'm going to make two points--first is no one really can do that calculation like that. Speed is just one variable among many that affect calorie burn rate--I'm pretty sure I burned a lot more calories riding 18 mph into a headwind yesterday than I did going 24 mph on the way back.

The second thing is don't worry about the calorie count, what you're doing is working. The big flaw in CICO is that our methods for measuring those really suck. We're always just approximating CO, and an increasing amount of research is demonstrating that we vary wildly in our abilities to absorb calories so CI is just not as straightforward as people think. You're doing fine, you're losing weight and feeling better, don't let anyone else's math put you off. Keep doing what you're doing until you want to do more, or if it stops working for you.
Old 09-24-20, 02:33 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
a strap on hrm that is synced to the cadence & wheel speed sensor helps gain a better understanding of cals burned. I did a few rides that I could maintain a certain speed on a route I could take predictively & noticed the "calculated" cals burned vs cycle computer using the sensors did not provide the same outcome. The calculated cals provided the higher achieved cals. As much as I would have liked to use the higher output, it would just be foolish. Working harder is smarter in this case. ymmv.
Old 09-24-20, 02:43 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 617 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
This is an amazingly poorly-informed statement. Do some research on the history of wheat. The transition from decentralized mills to centralized milling, and the subsequent separation of constituent parts of the wheat kernel as a part of milling to ensure shelf life. I'm not going to spoon feed you the answer. Find out for yourself. You need to learn the truth. Sad.
The Vitamins are added when mixing the dough, It is not in the wheat.

Old 09-24-20, 02:46 PM
superpletch
faster downhill

Bikes: more than my wife can keep track of

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
steel cut oats with chia seeds, almonds, milk and raisins 1 hour before i ride. lots of water with some type of gatorade, tailwind or the like in one bottle. at about mile 60 i find some type of salty/fat (piece of pizza or chickfilet sandwich) gets me the last 40 miles strong. amount of water/sportsdrink depends on ambient temperature. I can drink 6-8 bottles on a long ride in hot humid conditions......and never pee.

what is the yellow muck on the plate?
Old 09-24-20, 02:50 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 646 Posts
If the ride is in the afternoon I try to make sure I get some Bushmills and some beer, If the ride in the morning I'll eat a couple boiled eggs w/o yolks ('cause yuck) toast and/or cereal/oatmeal.

A vast majority of the time I don't worry much about it, I drink my water if it's time to eat I stop and have a nice some food.
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 09-24-20, 02:58 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Troul
a strap on hrm that is synced to the cadence & wheel speed sensor helps gain a better understanding of cals burned. I did a few rides that I could maintain a certain speed on a route I could take predictively & noticed the "calculated" cals burned vs cycle computer using the sensors did not provide the same outcome. The calculated cals provided the higher achieved cals. As much as I would have liked to use the higher output, it would just be foolish. Working harder is smarter in this case. ymmv.

My theory would be if he's down 60 pounds and headed in the right direction using crummy estimation, he really isn't going to do much better with the metered numbers that look more precise but probably aren't much.
Old 09-24-20, 02:58 PM
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Welcome back Fred.
Old 09-25-20, 12:06 AM
cjenrick

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts
I can tell you what Not to eat before a long ride: Pasta. Your blood sugar will crash like nobody's bizzness.

When I was time trialing to work every morning for 25 miles, I needed something quick, and something that would provide instant power as there was no time to sit around and digest.

Trial and error turned up the perfect pre race meal: A huge chocolate malt with two eggs cracked into it.
This would be 5 cups worth. or about half of a 1/2 gallon carton of vanilla ice cream, Hersheys syrup, Carnation Malted Milk and the eggs. About 50,000 calories of pure heaven. Like a locomotive, right out of the gate. If it was real cold I would need a chocolate raised doughnut at mile 12.5.

Tour de France racers all eat the same thing every morning. Oatmeal plus a 2 egg omelette.

If I am doing a beach ride, 84 miles to Pescadero and back, then i load up on as much french toast as I can stuff. 12 to 16 pieces, with plenty of bacon. Couple of bananas in the jersey and no lunch required.

Your ride meal should start the night before. Pasta and Rice in large quantities. If you do not do this then any attempt to eat the enough the day of the ride will be futile.

Last edited by cjenrick; 09-25-20 at 12:11 AM.
Old 09-25-20, 03:57 AM
Danhedonia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts
The more I read about others' riding, the more confused I get.

I am overweight. I typically ride 24-35 miles @ 17-19 mph. So: few rides over 2 hours (this is due to other pressures in life, I occasionally do 50 mile rides on weekends without trouble). Are these 'long' rides? After two and a half hours on the bike, I just go home. Eating doesn't occur to me.

I don't really eat before hand, maybe a piece of fruit. I have a package of oatmeal and a coffee with three sugars for breakfast (my big indulgence). I don't 'bonk.' It's hot in Albuquerque in the summer, so some days I'm riding in 100F heat and you bet hydration is a carefully managed thing, but ... no snacks. Honestly, I can't imagine where I'd get one on my route, or I'm sure I'd be tempted bcos: food issues. I've made efforts to improve diet and I've lost a bit of weight.

Is there some sort of standard for a long ride? Does a long ride mean "well, I'm tired now, and feel I've had enough?" My usually stopping point is about saddle soreness, not fatigue. I feel I could pedal 4-5 hours without too much trouble, but my poor (fat) butt can't take it.

What's a "long ride?"
Old 09-25-20, 05:41 AM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 376 Times in 210 Posts
I don't think it has been answered but in the picture, what IS THAT YELLOW STUFF?!!

(:
Old 09-25-20, 05:54 AM
MntnMan62

Bikes: Road - Motobecane Sprintour / Mountain - Schwinn Mesa GSX

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 45 Posts
I'm guessing the yellow stuff is grits.

I have found that oatmeal is a great morning breakfast. Good carbs, good fiber and some added protein. And I find it to be long lasting. A little fruit like blueberries added in along with some coffee and I'm ready to go. And I take som Gu with me on the ride. I try not to pull out the Gu until very late in the ride when I am most likely to have depleted most of my energy stores. Although given what I have around my waist, I have a long way to go to use up my energy stores.
Old 09-25-20, 06:18 AM
ropetwitch

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
I agree with oats
Old 09-25-20, 06:46 AM
55murray

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 58 Posts
I do a peanut butter and jelly tortilla roll up, a banana, and a stiff cup of Joe. I'm purposefully eating less than normal and avoiding anything gassy.
Old 09-25-20, 06:51 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by Danhedonia

I am overweight. I typically ride 24-35 miles @ 17-19 mph. So: few rides over 2 hours (this is due to other pressures in life, I occasionally do 50 mile rides on weekends without trouble). Are these 'long' rides? After two and a half hours on the bike, I just go home. Eating doesn't occur to me.

I don't really eat before hand, maybe a piece of fruit. I have a package of oatmeal and a coffee with three sugars for breakfast (my big indulgence). I don't 'bonk.' It's hot in Albuquerque in the summer, so some days I'm riding in 100F heat and you bet hydration is a carefully managed thing, but ... no snacks. Honestly, I can't imagine where I'd get one on my route, or I'm sure I'd be tempted bcos: food issues. I've made efforts to improve diet and I've lost a bit of weight.

Is there some sort of standard for a long ride? Does a long ride mean "well, I'm tired now, and feel I've had enough?" My usually stopping point is about saddle soreness, not fatigue. I feel I could pedal 4-5 hours without too much trouble, but my poor (fat) butt can't take it.

What's a "long ride?"
For me,a ride gets to be "long" after the 3hr mark. I generally don't do much other than water for rides up to 3-3.5hrs, if it's a harder ride I might eat a 100 calorie fig bar or something, but if it's an endurance pace I don't need food. On a 5+hr 100 mile ride where I burned 3750 calories (measured by a power meter), I ate 1100 calories. Definitely wasn't close to bonking, but I'm at a point where my body is likely really good at using fat as fuel for endurance efforts. And I think the average person, depending on the intensity that they ride, has plenty on them to sustain long rides. As a competitive cyclist, I recognize the importance of proper fueling, but I also think there's a bit of overrating of eating among the less competitive crowd. I think people fear 'bonking' and oftentimes confuse lack of fitness with lack of fuel. So keep doing what you're doing
Old 09-25-20, 07:24 AM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 376 Times in 210 Posts
Originally Posted by MntnMan62
I'm guessing the yellow stuff is grits.

I have found that oatmeal is a great morning breakfast. Good carbs, good fiber and some added protein. And I find it to be long lasting. A little fruit like blueberries added in along with some coffee and I'm ready to go. And I take som Gu with me on the ride. I try not to pull out the Gu until very late in the ride when I am most likely to have depleted most of my energy stores. Although given what I have around my waist, I have a long way to go to use up my energy stores.
Lord have pity on people that call those grits.

Oatmeal with some brown sugar is great but I find if I eat too much it causes me issues farther down the line, if you know what I mean. For me, it is two slices of wheat bread with lots of crunchy peanut butter. But I generally like that about 1-2 hours before my ride.

Along the ride, I have bottle of tailwind mix drink that I start after about 2-3 hours in. I usually have a GU or cliff bar at about 1.5 hours in. I find that for really long rides, 100+ road rides or 8-10 hour MTB rides, I like a GU or cliff bar ever hour after about 2 hours in.
Old 09-25-20, 07:33 AM
MntnMan62

Bikes: Road - Motobecane Sprintour / Mountain - Schwinn Mesa GSX

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by vespasianus
Lord have pity on people that call those grits.
Only the guy who posted that pic can tell us what those are. But the yellow may be cheese.. Cheese grits can be that color. I'm not a fan of grits. I've had grits. Some bad and some that I have been told are legendary. I didn't care for any of them. They just aren't for me.
Old 09-25-20, 07:40 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 617 Posts
Originally Posted by George
Welcome back Fred.
Thanks George.
Most Happy to be breathing.
Healed as much as I can.
No longer have any meds that mess up my Thinking.

Now 78

Last edited by 10 Wheels; 09-25-20 at 07:41 AM. Reason: punctuation
Old 09-25-20, 08:00 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
I'm a big guy ~300lbs, but athletic. I've been riding for 4mo seriously. My typical schedule is 3 week night rides 10-12mi as fast as I can go (strava has me at 14.5 including some stops major intersections max of 22mph on flat roads). I do one weekend ride trying to extend my distance. I've been going about 25mi and I am up to 30mi on my weekend ride. My riding goal is to increase speed and endurance by working up to a 50mi ride. My health goal is to loose weight. I am down 60lbs using CICO.

My current issue is with my long ride. I bonk at the end. Last week I got home, stretched, cooled down, ate and went to sleep for 3hrs. I use Nuun in my water and had 1 Gu packet about 1:15 into the 2:20 ride. I ate a Kind bar, a banana and 2 cups of coffee before I left. I live in a flat tropical climate, but feel that I hydrate well with the Nuun. I do need to start by 7:30a or it will get too hot and sunny.

I'm thinking my carb intake may be part of my issue. My fitbit shows me burning about 2000cal on this ride so I can afford to add some carbs and still be ok with CICO, but really don't know how to eat for doing cardio over that period of time. Any help from those in the know would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
my last century (107mi @ 17.5 av.)
breakfast: Corn flakes, a banana, grapefruit juice, tea
30mi: coffee, breakfast bar
55mi: tangerine juice, peach
85mi: Gatorade, apple
No bonk, but I had pizza the night before, so probably well carb-loaded 👍
Old 09-25-20, 08:10 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 321 Posts
you can usually eat less than you think you need, no matter what it is
Likes For Flip Flop Rider:
Old 09-25-20, 08:49 AM
Mulberry20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
I'm a big guy ~300lbs, but athletic. I've been riding for 4mo seriously. My typical schedule is 3 week night rides 10-12mi as fast as I can go (strava has me at 14.5 including some stops major intersections max of 22mph on flat roads). I do one weekend ride trying to extend my distance. I've been going about 25mi and I am up to 30mi on my weekend ride. My riding goal is to increase speed and endurance by working up to a 50mi ride. My health goal is to loose weight. I am down 60lbs using CICO.

My current issue is with my long ride. I bonk at the end. Last week I got home, stretched, cooled down, ate and went to sleep for 3hrs. I use Nuun in my water and had 1 Gu packet about 1:15 into the 2:20 ride. I ate a Kind bar, a banana and 2 cups of coffee before I left. I live in a flat tropical climate, but feel that I hydrate well with the Nuun. I do need to start by 7:30a or it will get too hot and sunny.

I'm thinking my carb intake may be part of my issue. My fitbit shows me burning about 2000cal on this ride so I can afford to add some carbs and still be ok with CICO, but really don't know how to eat for doing cardio over that period of time. Any help from those in the know would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
What you burn today is basically what you ate yesterday, so eating a lot before working out is not advisable.

BTW, there are a lot better ways to get caffeine and other things in one mix rather than drinking coffee. Caffeine is often combined with creatine, BCAA's citrulline and a few other things in pre-workout powders like Pre-Jym and O/N Pre-Workout. Citrulline is a fantastic supplement with the same cardio effects as beet juice without the sugar and red urine. I think a maintenance dose of 5gs of creatine is a must for people over 50.
Old 09-25-20, 10:06 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Danhedonia

What's a "long ride?"

Nobody ever agrees. Basically, the answer is "long compared to what?"

What other people are doing has nothing to do with what you should do. You're not riding for them.
Old 09-25-20, 10:10 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

100 mi breakfast

That ain't for me. Literally!

Enjoy it, man!
Old 09-25-20, 10:19 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Thanks George.
Most Happy to be breathing.
Healed as much as I can.
No longer have any meds that mess up my Thinking.

Now 78

If you're looking like that at 78, you keep eating that scary to me breakfast!

And are you seriously riding 2k miles a month? That's insane, in a good way.
Likes For livedarklions:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.