Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Pictures and advice for home bike shop

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-20, 02:06 PM
bikeamateur70

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I am plan to use some of my basement for a DIY home bike shop. The project is part of a larger storage room, 30 square meter (bike garage, suitcases, garden tools, car tires, smart trainer pain cave ++). Any do and does not-advice for such a project? Any of you got pictures of your home bike shop?
Old 09-27-20, 03:11 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
I live in a small 3 bedroom rancher by myself. I made one of the small bedrooms my bike work area. It works for me in that: it is compact and everything is close at hand, a closet for clothes and etc., dressers/cabinets/shelves for storage, wall mounted plyboard for tools, hooks for tires/tubes, nice adjustable work stand, lighting with adjustable positioning. Of course, also AC and heat, and ceiling fan/windows for ventilation. I also have cheap carpet/ runner on top of the regular carpeting. A movable bench on wheels. I do not do serious cleaning/degreasing or lubing in this room. That is done outside or my breezeway type back deck. Deck also has a bench with a vise and wall mounted work stand. That is also where my bikes are kept.

Old 09-27-20, 03:14 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Here's my garage workbench. Mostly for bicycles but I do some automotive there also.

I have a large workbench and all my automotive tools in the basement shop.
Old 09-27-20, 09:57 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 671 Times in 419 Posts

I like this picture......

Originally Posted by delbiker1

Old 09-27-20, 10:09 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 6,461 Times in 3,194 Posts
Amazon Echo, refrigerator, box cab, phone, rug, bare feet, tools on a wall, wooden table of the perfect height, pipe, vintage steel frame, windows/natural light, and shiny Campy parts all around. And the cat. We can't overhaul the bb without getting a little cat hair in there.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 09-28-20, 06:45 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
All you need is a toolbox (or tool chest), a small table/work bench, and a bike stand.

Unless you are running a shop or maintaining a fleet of bikes, I think most home mechanics just add the bike stuff to the workbench area they already have for other uses.

That’s what I do, at least. In my basement. Bike-specific tools take up 2 drawers in a large tool chest. A few shelves hold boxes of parts I should probably thin out. I hang extra frames, tires, and wheels (which I should also thin out) out in the garage.

I am a big believer in starting really basic, and then expanding/improving the shop as you see the need and works for you. Don’t over-plan this.

I find having wide, shallow drawers for tools way more useful and flexible than hanging tools on the wall. Others feel differently.

Good luck.