Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXIX

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXIX

Old 09-30-20, 08:01 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
This morning a guy brought his bike into our new (to us) office building and took it up on the elevator. That's good news.
Old 09-30-20, 08:02 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
To vent: my wife is going to drive me nuggin' futs. We're very earnestly thinking about moving next year (there's a new development under way in the metro that'll be very energy efficient and 100% powered by renewable energy, etc and we're interested in one of the single-family row houses), but my wife is somehow still in a (non-pregnancy) nesting phase, putting a lot time, effort, and money in to the current home.

Despite my freely voiced reservations, she wants to paint most of the downstairs. We *know* that the previous owner did a **** job of painting - picture frames or pieces of furniture that press against the walls will often peel off little chunks of the top layer or two - but still, she wants to take it on, thinking it'll be no big deal. Last week, she got some paint samples and put them up - some were paint and some were 1' x 1' adhesive swatches. After deciding on the color, she peeled the swatches off the wall... and they took big chunks of paint with them, just huge peels. So now she's finally realizing what I've been telling her - painting is going to require some major prep. But she still wants to do it.
Old 09-30-20, 08:03 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10234 Post(s)
Liked 5,178 Times in 2,222 Posts
Just got another flat. In the history of my bike riding days all the way back to high school, flats always happen in threes. Went over a man hole and it went flat. I have more slashes in the tire as well.

Old 09-30-20, 08:07 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by bampilot06
Just got another flat. In the history of my bike riding days all the way back to high school, flats always happen in threes. Went over a man hole and it went flat. I have more slashes in the tire as well.
I don't want to say, "I told you so," buuuuuut....

Really, though - I did get a lot of little nicks and punctures there, but maybe it'd be a good idea to talk to more of the local riders and see what they're doing and how frequently they're getting punctures.
Old 09-30-20, 08:07 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3349 Post(s)
Liked 3,599 Times in 1,238 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
Coal was the primary fuel in Central Illinois because there was a large coal industry here until the 60s.
Huh. I had no idea. I always thought of coal production as an eastern/Appalachian thing, but Illinois was apparently still the 4th largest producer in the U.S. 2014-2018.
Old 09-30-20, 08:10 AM
bampilot06

Originally Posted by WhyFi
I don't want to say, "I told you so," buuuuuut....

Really, though - I did get a lot of little nicks and punctures there, but maybe it'd be a good idea to talk to more of the local riders and see what they're doing and how frequently they're getting punctures.
Ill do that. I am convinced my tire is done. I ran my finger around every square inch the other day and didn’t find anything. The rim tape is good, no scratches in the rim.
Old 09-30-20, 08:11 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by indyfabz
We had cast iron radiators growing up in Philly. During cold nights my mom would get up early to raise the thermostat then go back to bed while the house heated up. Had them in my first two apartments as well.
We had a few of those growing up, as well. I think that they have some charm, and being able to sit on or lean against one on a cold day is nice and comforting. If we had an old house with those, I'd probably want to keep them just for that charm, but I'd want to put in radiant floors in addition, if possible.

Originally Posted by big john
I used to hate smoking in restaurants when I was a smoker. I remember going to see music at small clubs and the performers would ask patrons to cool it with the cigarettes because they couldn't stand it.
I would get home at 5 or 6am, just exhausted from a long shift, but even so, I would be too disgusted to collapse in bed and I'd have to take a thorough shower, first.
Old 09-30-20, 08:12 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3349 Post(s)
Liked 3,599 Times in 1,238 Posts
I used to hate smoking in restaurants when I was a smoker. I remember going to see music at small clubs and the performers would ask patrons to cool it with the cigarettes because they couldn't stand it.
When I smoked the era of smoking sections in restaurants had already passed, but it was still permissible in some bars.

Still, I never understood why anyone would want to smoke while they're eating. Afterwards, sure, but the combination never seemed appealing to me.

Now, sitting at a bar with a drink and a smoke, that was a nice feeling, but I sure am glad nowadays that indoor smoking isn't a thing anymore.

Last edited by abshipp; 09-30-20 at 11:37 AM.
Likes For abshipp:
Old 09-30-20, 08:18 AM
WhyFi

Ill do that. I am convinced my tire is done. I ran my finger around every square inch the other day and didn’t find anything. The rim tape is good, no scratches in the rim.
Cuts are really only a problem if they're big enough to compromise the casing (visual bulging) or if they're big enough and you ride through enough debris that it has a too-easy time of re-puncturing the tube. Some people like to fill in these kinds of cuts with shoe goo or the like. If the tire still has a decent amount of tread life left, I'd probably look at sealing those cuts, somehow.

Or, if you're just emotionally done with them, you could move on to something with better protection, if you're not ready for tubeless. Bah Humbug likes his Michelins, I think - I'm sure he'd be happy to advise.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 09-30-20, 08:20 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28577 Post(s)
Liked 1,849 Times in 1,313 Posts
RIP

DougRNS
Old 09-30-20, 08:23 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10148 Post(s)
Liked 5,841 Times in 3,145 Posts
Is that the most efficient way? How does the system actually heat the house, do hot pipes exist in the walls? Does it also provide hot water for showers, etc?
It is a closed system which runs hot water through radiators (1939 parts of house) and baseboard convectors (1970s addition) Hot feed and return pipes in the walls and floors also provide some radiant heat. Domestic HW is a separate as heater.

I believe hot water with convectors is the most efficient system in this climate.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 09-30-20, 08:26 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3252 Post(s)
Liked 2,078 Times in 977 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize
Coal furnace as a uteful ute in the fifties. Electric radiant heat in the modern era of the sixties and wood heat thereafter. What fuel do said furnaces burn? Natural gas? Propane?
We have a NG heat pump and fireplace. These houses were all built at a time when electric heat was far cheaper than gas so no ductwork etc. The heat pump heats the whole house easily.
Old 09-30-20, 08:31 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

To vent: my wife is going to drive me nuggin' futs. We're very earnestly thinking about moving next year (there's a new development under way in the metro that'll be very energy efficient and 100% powered by renewable energy, etc and we're interested in one of the single-family row houses), but my wife is somehow still in a (non-pregnancy) nesting phase, putting a lot time, effort, and money in to the current home.

Despite my freely voiced reservations, she wants to paint most of the downstairs. We *know* that the previous owner did a **** job of painting - picture frames or pieces of furniture that press against the walls will often peel off little chunks of the top layer or two - but still, she wants to take it on, thinking it'll be no big deal. Last week, she got some paint samples and put them up - some were paint and some were 1' x 1' adhesive swatches. After deciding on the color, she peeled the swatches off the wall... and they took big chunks of paint with them, just huge peels. So now she's finally realizing what I've been telling her - painting is going to require some major prep. But she still wants to do it.

That’s probably more a result of cheap paint vs a bad job. I’d bet if you cover it with something decent, you won’t have problems.

I’m normally a Ben Moore kind of guy, but we used Behr Marquee so we could stay in the same color family of other rooms in the house and I was really pleased with the coverage and quality. Every room I painted covered in one coat, even the light over dark colors.
Old 09-30-20, 08:45 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11393 Post(s)
Liked 4,729 Times in 2,756 Posts
I must be an crusty old fart, because if I spent that amount of time looking at my tires, I'd never ride. A quick spin to make sure no bulges and cords, and off I go. I don't ride on tires that are square though, so that likely helps.

My choice? Vittoria Rubino Pro.
Likes For LAJ:
Old 09-30-20, 08:56 AM
bampilot06

Cuts are really only a problem if they're big enough to compromise the casing (visual bulging) or if they're big enough and you ride through enough debris that it has a too-easy time of re-puncturing the tube. Some people like to fill in these kinds of cuts with shoe goo or the like. If the tire still has a decent amount of tread life left, I'd probably look at sealing those cuts, somehow.

Or, if you're just emotionally done with them, you could move on to something with better protection, if you're not ready for tubeless. Bah Humbug likes his Michelins, I think - I'm sure he'd be happy to advise.
I was thinking about the GP5000 I thought they had decent puncture resistance. But after today, and I think the roads will be worse in the winter time, I am considering tubeless. I’ll have to see if my wheels are tubeless ready. Otherwise I will be sticking with tubes for awhile.
Old 09-30-20, 08:57 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by phrantic09
We have a NG heat pump and fireplace. These houses were all built at a time when electric heat was far cheaper than gas so no ductwork etc. The heat pump heats the whole house easily.
How much does the resistance furnace have to run in the winter, though? Our heat pump system struggled in anything below freezing and blew air at a truly aversive temperature until the resistance heat went on and redlined the meter. The wood stove was a blessing and also got us through a week-long power outage in the winter of 1995. Winter temps must be a good 10º higher down here too.
Old 09-30-20, 08:58 AM
bampilot06

Originally Posted by LAJ
I must be an crusty old fart, because if I spent that amount of time looking at my tires, I'd never ride. A quick spin to make sure no bulges and cords, and off I go. I don't ride on tires that are square though, so that likely helps.

My choice? Vittoria Rubino Pro.
Up to the first flat I never looked in detail at my tires. I did notice the they were starting to show wear.
Are those tubeless?
Old 09-30-20, 09:08 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
How much does the resistance furnace have to run in the winter, though? Our heat pump system struggled in anything below freezing and blew air at a truly aversive temperature until the resistance heat went on and redlined the meter. The wood stove was a blessing and also got us through a week-long power outage in the winter of 1995. Winter temps must be a good 10º higher down here too.

I guess it’s not technically a heat pump- it’s a direct vent furnace https://www.rinnai.us/product/direct...rnace/ex38ctwn
Old 09-30-20, 09:09 AM
WhyFi

That’s probably more a result of cheap paint vs a bad job. I’d bet if you cover it with something decent, you won’t have problems.

I’m normally a Ben Moore kind of guy, but we used Behr Marquee so we could stay in the same color family of other rooms in the house and I was really pleased with the coverage and quality. Every room I painted covered in one coat, even the light over dark colors.
I think that it's a little bit of A and a little bit of B. We think that they put latex on top of an oil-based paint without a primer (or with a ****ty primer) between; the two layers just don't like each other. I think that putting another layer over the top, without addressing the lack of bond between those two layers, is just going mean thicker peels in the future. But again, I don't want any part of this if we're serious about moving next year.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 09-30-20, 09:11 AM
MoAlpha
• —

I guess it’s not technically a heat pump- it’s a direct vent furnace https://www.rinnai.us/product/direct...rnace/ex38ctwn
Oh, now I understand your post. Never seen that.
Old 09-30-20, 09:13 AM
WhyFi

I was thinking about the GP5000 I thought they had decent puncture resistance. But after today, and I think the roads will be worse in the winter time, I am considering tubeless. I’ll have to see if my wheels are tubeless ready. Otherwise I will be sticking with tubes for awhile.
GP5000 are supposed to be good in the meat of the tread, but poor in terms of sidewall protection. If you're not riding in chunky debris/gravel, they might be all that you need.

The wheels should be tubeless ready - anything half-way decent is, these days. If they have a channel running down the middle of the rim bed and they have the plasticky rim tape, you should be good.

Up to the first flat I never looked in detail at my tires. I did notice the they were starting to show wear.
Are those tubeless?
They make them in tubed and tubeless. I've thought about getting the tubeless ones for winter use - Excel has them at a good price.
Old 09-30-20, 09:15 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
We had steam heat and a coal furnace in the ancestral country house with an electrical automatic stoker and ash handling system. It was a real mechanical wonder with a screw drive to move the material and a rotating platter where the fresh coal came up in the middle and the ash was pushed off the edge.
How often did you have to shovel in coal?
Originally Posted by indyfabz
This morning a guy brought his bike into our new (to us) office building and took it up on the elevator. That's good news.
Why?
Old 09-30-20, 09:19 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10961 Post(s)
Liked 4,616 Times in 2,120 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
Huh. I had no idea. I always thought of coal production as an eastern/Appalachian thing, but Illinois was apparently still the 4th largest producer in the U.S. 2014-2018.
Where I live, there are many closed underground mines and across the river, Peoria and Fulton counties had numerous strip mines but these are all done.

South of Lincoln, IL, there is a conveyor system from a mine that runs for miles along I-55. Where my family is from, SE of Champaign, there are still underground coal mines.

Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 09-30-20, 09:19 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10961 Post(s)
Liked 4,616 Times in 2,120 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
How often did you have to shovel in coal?
He said they have an automatic stoker...

Old 09-30-20, 09:37 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
He said they have an automatic stoker...
Do I look like someone who knows what a stoker is?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.