Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXIX

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXIX

Old 09-30-20, 11:40 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,851 Times in 4,396 Posts
Originally Posted by DougRNS
Mac Davis too at age 78. Note: I am not a woman. NTTAWWT
My favorite memory of Mac Davis is from the movie "North Dallas Forty". He plays quarterback Don Meredith, or an approximation of Meredith.
Meredith used to be a color guy on Monday Night Football and he would get buzzed on air and sing "The Party's Over" when the outcome of the game was obvious.
His banter with Howard Cosell was entertaining.
Old 09-30-20, 11:40 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,851 Times in 4,396 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Did you wave??
Was he wearing gloves?
Likes For big john:
Old 09-30-20, 11:45 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10104 Post(s)
Liked 5,784 Times in 3,112 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
My lower back pull problem seems to have mostly gone away, but now I have a mystery ailment in my right butt cheek. Not even sure if it's the joint or a deep muscle. It's not like my normal hip inflammation.

Can't tell if it is a problem on the bicycle until I try it.
Could also be an irritated posterior branch of a lumbar nerve root, related to the back issue.

#everythinglookslikeanail
Old 09-30-20, 11:45 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Did you wave??
He nearly hit me pulling up to the front of the building, so no.
Old 09-30-20, 11:46 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Well, folks, the pandemic is over: The Commissary has Lysol wipes.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 09-30-20, 11:47 AM
indyfabz

Why?
Because it means I can likely do the same, which would be handy on days when there are supposed to be mid-day showers. Not much covered bike parking in my area. There is one place around the corner that I have used before, but someone in our club recently had their bike stolen from it.
Old 09-30-20, 11:48 AM
SwtBadger

Bikes: 2015 BMC SLR02; 2004 Bianchi Veloce; 2000 Gary Fischer Big Sur

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Radiant floors are becoming more popular - I would love them. Otherwise, some houses still use the old cast iron radiators or the baseboard radiators that I hated as a yute.

Edited to add: this is for heating with hot water, of course; I would think that forced air is more common.
I'll second radiant floors as awesome. I had one in mid-level hotel in South Korea where they are common, very comfy to walk on and the heat at least in the hotel room was very even.

Most common heating in lower part of WI now is natural gas, forced air.

As a side note, looks like I'll be travelling to South Korea in two weeks - but wow what a process this year. Not to mention that will be it for my outside biking this year more or less.

Last edited by SwtBadger; 09-30-20 at 11:56 AM.
Old 09-30-20, 11:50 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
Ours, too. To be honest, I was pretty young when we converted to natural gas but I don’t remember anyone ever shoveling. I remember the conveyor coming out of the bin, though.
Do you remember exactly how it worked? I guess the conveyor had to be a belt, which fed a screw, which lifted the coal to the rotating platen. Then the ash fell off the edge and somehow made it into two galvanized ash cans via a Y-connector. That's all I remember, but boy did that thing fascinate me.
Old 09-30-20, 11:55 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10247 Post(s)
Liked 11,601 Times in 5,946 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Do you remember exactly how it worked? I guess the conveyor had to be a belt, which fed a screw, which lifted the coal to the rotating platen. Then the ash fell off the edge and somehow made it into two galvanized ash cans via a Y-connector. That's all I remember, but boy did that thing fascinate me.
We had to fire up the coal furnace a couple times when I was a kid - when they put in the NG furnace, they left the coal furnace still plumbed into the system. It was strictly shovel-fed, from a pile of coal that was there when we moved in. Shovel in some coal, jiggle the grates, occasionally shovel out the ash. I don't think we ever went more than a few days. There's probably still coal in the furnace room there.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 09-30-20, 11:58 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Natural gas is far and away the most popular fuel for heating in my area. In NYC, there was still a lot of home heating oil; moving there, it was weird to see the trucks and their fat fuel lines making the rounds.
In, like, 1979, between college and grad school, I managed tenements in Manhattan for a few months. All had oil burners, as did the high-rise I grew up in. I remember the oil trucks very clearly.

Radiant floors are becoming more popular - I would love them. Otherwise, some houses still use the old cast iron radiators or the baseboard radiators that I hated as a yute.

Edited to add: this is for heating with hot water, of course; I would think that forced air is more common.
Our current house is the first one I've seen with hot water and radiators. I'm used to radiators with steam and convectors with HW.

Never seen radiant floors in this country, only visiting colleagues in Europe.

Originally Posted by SwtBadger
I'll second radiant floors as awesome. I had one in mid-level hotel in South Korea where they are common, very comfy to walk on and the heat at least in the hotel room was very even. Most common now in this area is natural gas, forced air.

As a side note, looks like I'll be travelling to South Korea in two weeks - but wow what a process this year. Not to mention that will be it for my outside biking this year more or less.
That's a hard trip in peacetime.
Old 09-30-20, 11:59 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by genejockey
The house where I grew up, in Southern PA, has hot water radiator heat. Originally built in 1935 with a coal-fired furnace, but they installed an NG furnace before we bought the place in 1962. What I mostly remember is the house was always warm in the winter. No hot spots or cold spots, just evenly warm, no drafts, no wind from forced air. Just nice, even heat. Pretty much silent, too.
Yep. We had hot water radiators too. NG furnace. Definitely even warmth except for maybe the front of the sun porch. We had a huge picture window with jalousie windows on either side and jalousie windows on either side of the front door. The jalousie windows had "storm windows" that we used to install once the weather turned, but that picture window did not seem to be insulated. There was a long, low, covered radiator in the front of the room below the window that helped some.
Old 09-30-20, 12:01 PM
SwtBadger

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
South of Lincoln, IL, there is a conveyor system from a mine that runs for miles along I-55. Where my family is from, SE of Champaign, there are still underground coal mines.
Not sure if I have seen this one, but have seen several of these long conveyors in Illinois. I always do a double-look especially when they go over/below roadways, they are an unusual feature to see.
Old 09-30-20, 12:11 PM
indyfabz

How often did you have to shovel in coal?
I know someone who lives in anthracite coal country in PA. Her house has coal heat. When I rode across PA in the late summer of 2017 I stopped at a convenience store chain in her area. The place had bags of it for sale like you would see rock salt piled up in stacks at Home Depot.

Anthracite is still used in industrial manufacturing. A lot of it moves to east cost ports by rail and is shipped up to Canada by boat. Also, until 2016, military bases in Germany had been required by law to use PA anthracite coal for the last 40 years. Now, its use is permissive.
Old 09-30-20, 12:17 PM
indyfabz

Well, folks, the pandemic is over: The Commissary has Lysol wipes.
My Philly office is prepared for the next wave.

Old 09-30-20, 12:28 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by indyfabz

You gotta be!
Old 09-30-20, 12:37 PM
indyfabz

You gotta be!
Nealry every day I am an office of one.
Old 09-30-20, 12:38 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Quoted: 11321 Post(s)
Liked 4,635 Times in 2,701 Posts
Originally Posted by SwtBadger
I'll second radiant floors as awesome. I had one in mid-level hotel in South Korea where they are common, very comfy to walk on and the heat at least in the hotel room was very even.

Most common heating in lower part of WI now is natural gas, forced air.

Do they give you a catalog of funerals to pick from?
Old 09-30-20, 12:48 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28441 Post(s)
Liked 1,832 Times in 1,300 Posts
Could also be an irritated posterior branch of a lumbar nerve root, related to the back issue.

#everythinglookslikeanail
I'm just a lay mouse and I guess it's possible, but this new thing is on the other side, 6+ inches away (where my butt bone is), so a connection to my injury Sunday would surprise me.
Because it means I can likely do the same, which would be handy on days when there are supposed to be mid-day showers. Not much covered bike parking in my area. There is one place around the corner that I have used before, but someone in our club recently had their bike stolen from it.
I figured you prefer to bring the bike in, but unless he's an authority figure the fact you saw him do it doesn't mean there's been a policy change.
Hoarder
Old 09-30-20, 01:15 PM
indyfabz

I figured you prefer to bring the bike in, but unless he's an authority figure the fact you saw him do it doesn't mean there's been a policy change.
We just got up and running in this building a little over a month ago. Never asked about the building policy. I will now.
Old 09-30-20, 01:27 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28441 Post(s)
Liked 1,832 Times in 1,300 Posts
We just got up and running in this building a little over a month ago. Never asked about the building policy. I will now.
Seems like the kind of thing where it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission.
Likes For Velo Vol:
Old 09-30-20, 01:29 PM
SwtBadger

Originally Posted by LAJ
Do they give you a catalog of funerals to pick from?
Might of missed that form. Actually I will feel safer there than here, unless the verbiage between the North and the US heats up.

The difficulty has been in getting an exemption from a 2 week quarantine. Update statement of qualifications, host company sends letter to Korean government, Korean government approves and informs Chicago consulate, need to send pre-purchased airline ticket and hotel reservation to consulate exactly 7 days prior to travel to the consulate who will then approve and send to the Korean government. Korean government will then send exemption e-mail to me (?). Then on arrival will be required to be tested, load an app and then be quarantined for 2 days.

Added to this found out I will eventually need to drive...luckily jobsite is not near Seoul....which means need to apply for a rush International Driver Permit. Adding to the excitement is that my Passport expirers with-in 6 months of travel which can cause problems such as airlines not letting one on the airplane. Normally we could rush a Passport application within 1 week, but with Covid 19 looking at 4-5 weeks.

All of this for the opportunity to work 14 days straight at a minimum of 10-12 hours per week. Luckily I do like it over there, with getting equipment up and running being especially fulfilling when working with people in their home countries.
Old 09-30-20, 01:30 PM
MoAlpha
• —

I'm just a lay mouse and I guess it's possible, but this new thing is on the other side, 6+ inches away (where my butt bone is), so a connection to my injury Sunday would surprise me.
Me too, if it's on the other side. Perhaps it's buttosis and you should see a buttologist (at a major academic center, of course).
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 09-30-20, 01:39 PM
indyfabz

Seems like the kind of thing where it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission.
I think security is going to notice me coming through the hadicap doors with a bike and lifting it over the current rope barricade designed to force people to use the designated entering and exiting revolving doors. I think it would be more efficient to ask permission.
Old 09-30-20, 01:40 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10247 Post(s)
Liked 11,601 Times in 5,946 Posts
Me too, if it's on the other side. Perhaps it's buttosis and you should see a buttologist (at a major academic center, of course).
I think I had buttosis last fall. It was, I think, my Gluteus Medius, based on having pain anywhere from the attachment at the end of the femur, through mid-cheek, to the attachment to the pelvis. It would bother me the first 2 miles of a ride, during which it would diminish and not bother me the rest of the ride, but sometimes seemed worse the next morning.

I was riding the Bianchi mostly then, with its FSA crank that has a wide Q-factor. Then I upgraded the Ritchey with the 7410 Dura Ace cranks with a really narrow Q-factor and mostly rode that, and the pain went away.

The scientist in me said I should start riding the Bianchi again to see if the pain came back, but discretion is the better part of valor.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-30-20, 01:41 PM
indyfabz

I recently got a like on a post that is more than 9 years old.
Likes For indyfabz:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.