Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

sometimes skinny people need to shut up

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

sometimes skinny people need to shut up

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-11, 09:04 AM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Ranger63
"A" Personalities

I rarely attend the 'party rides' the one club I belong to has.
If it isn't the one up mans ship about riding, it's the one up mans ship about stocks or travel or...

Love riding with the folks

It's when they stop and start the chatter.......
Look around and see if there's another club. If not, start one. I'm not a big fan of 3 local clubs around here, but then I found the Seattle Randonneurs and fit in just fine; even now that I'm only doing "short" rides per the club's standards, everyone is still cool about it.
Then there's my racing team, which was basically formed around the idea of wanting to race but not wanting to be on any other local teams because we might actually have to put real effort into it.
Old 06-25-11, 11:08 AM
RandoneeRider
Retired C.O.

Bikes: REI 2009 Novara Randonee

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just spent 5 minutes reading this thread,
the stories, the "asshats", the accomplishments, designer gear, fancy shoes, expensive bikes, all the quotes, comments, and retorts.....

Now I've been made to feel that I'm am not even worthy.....

-- Without taking the time (or money) to $pecial-order bike $horts, I've settled on 3 pair of cheaply made XXL's that were on clearance.... and they're STILL a bit too small for me.

-- My "jerseys" are old sweat, dirt, & blood stained UNDER ARMOUR shirts that I wore under my stick-proof vest at work in prison during 16 hour 120* shifts.

-- The best shoes I have for biking are clunky looking New Balance sneakers that my cats have chewed on.

-- I can't afford a bike helmet, so I wear my old biker beanie/"skull cap" for protection instead.

-- I don't have the heart to cut the fingers off my lite-weight perforated leather motorcycle gloves, but they're paid for.

At the very least, having ridden my new bicycle as often as I can, my forearms & legs are no longer fish-belly white....
and I can pump my 5' 1" bowling ball shape for 20 miles in an hour and 40 minutes.

Hey, it's a start. Some day I'll be able to tell the same stories of accomplishment and skinny snobbery as spoken of in this thread.
Old 06-25-11, 11:48 AM
Mithrandir

Bikes: 2012 Surly LHT, 1995 GT Outpost Trail

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CraigB
Is it true when they say that if you look around for the guy who doesn't have a clue, and can't figure out who it is, it's you?

I like to think that if I can't figure out who it is, it's because I passed them and they're long behind me!
Old 06-25-11, 01:18 PM
CraigB
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CliftonGK1
Then there's my racing team, which was basically formed around the idea of wanting to race but not wanting to be on any other local teams because we might actually have to put real effort into it.
Want to start a league?

Old 06-25-11, 01:20 PM
CraigB
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RandoneeRider
Hey, it's a start. Some day I'll be able to tell the same stories of accomplishment and skinny snobbery as spoken of in this thread.
That's it right there. You've started. You're out there having fun and being active. That's all that counts.
Old 06-25-11, 01:56 PM
Homeyba

Bikes: Colnago C-50, Calfee Dragonfly Tandem, Specialized Allez Pro, Peugeot Competition Light

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RandoneeRider
...-- I can't afford a bike helmet, so I wear my old biker beanie/"skull cap" for protection instead...
I've always felt it you have a $5 head, wear a $5 beanie/skull cap. Seems to me a thrifty guy can pick up a really cheap helmet at a garage sale or something....just thinkin...
Old 06-26-11, 06:23 PM
RandoneeRider
Retired C.O.

Bikes: REI 2009 Novara Randonee

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Homeyba....., got one.

A Specialized; told the gentleman I was going to REI to take advantage of a sale and buy some stuff...., he said "Okay, give ya 20% off this one. I wouldn't put anything that costs less on my head, these are very good (for the money)."

Now..... these dirty white & well worn Under Armour shirts really should be replaced with something more 'bike appropriate'.
Old 06-26-11, 07:22 PM
mtalinm

Bikes: 2009 Trek Soho

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for telling me what I was thinking. this guy was very condescending. and he went on for several minutes about his gear, his international rides, etc. you can trust me on this, I was there

Originally Posted by Rowan
Oddly, the way the OP described his encounter, I didn't perceive that the thin guy actually said anything nasty about big guy. In fact, the OP assumed something about the thin guy's demeanour, then the OP became annoyed... annoyed enough to spend probably more time relating the encounter than what it took for the encounter to occur.

There was a thread here not so long ago about thinking fat. Maybe some of the posters here should revist that thread...
Old 09-27-20, 07:14 PM
drbarney1

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts
It can happen from the opposite direction too. If you don't want to go out for beer and pizza to cultivate a dad bod or you are genuinely interested in a subject too academic instead of sports or you in any other way don't want to come down to a level of any group you find yourself in, be it at work, or a neighborhood where you have to live, they often say, "What makes you so special?" or "I mean, you know, I'm like literally, why can't you talk like the rest of us?" the ability to say you are an educated person, something you should never have to do, will defend your right to make your own choices in the culture through which you define yourself. This demand to come down to a level is just as vicious as treating someone as inferior for not having a title you have earned.
Old 09-30-20, 01:28 PM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
Skinny people aren't the ones who have problems with opening their mouths too much (Looks in the mirror). Maybe he has ADHD and is not good with social cues but really could have used a friend to talk about bikes with (Looks in the mirror again) and didn't realize he was coming off as an asshat?

Or he could have been a total doosh and you should have punched him like someone else mentioned.

Did he really mention Cervelo? That seems....convenient. Or intentional...I mean just about everyone who cycles is in on the "Cervelo" meme/joke. Was he messing about?
Old 09-30-20, 03:39 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,493 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by aplcr0331
Skinny people aren't the ones who have problems with opening their mouths too much (Looks in the mirror). Maybe he has ADHD and is not good with social cues but really could have used a friend to talk about bikes with (Looks in the mirror again) and didn't realize he was coming off as an asshat?

Or he could have been a total doosh and you should have punched him like someone else mentioned.

Did he really mention Cervelo? That seems....convenient. Or intentional...I mean just about everyone who cycles is in on the "Cervelo" meme/joke. Was he messing about?
I’m hoping that, after more than 9 years, the OP has put the event in the past.
Old 10-01-20, 07:12 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by mtalinm
photographer came by today and noticed my Boston Bikes map. asked if I do any biking. I told him that I commute to work on two wheels, about 13 miles each way. he was unimpressed and said something to the effect of "well I do some serious distance riding" and went on for 10-15 minutes about how fast he is and how awesome his Cervelo bike is and so on and so on.

from my body type he clearly assumed I was a newbie. I was getting annoyed with him, so I asked how many miles he does per year. "Around five thousand" he said. I then noted that I did 5k myself this past year.

"But mine are really intense riding, centuries, mountain climbs, etc."

good grief. sometimes skinny people need to shut up.

The way I see it, any yearly mileage is better than sitting on the couch. I haven't gotten in nearly as many miles as I wanted this year, but what I have ridden was much better for me than not riding.

*edit* Sorry, I didn't realize this was a necro thread. I really wish the forums would put a notice on these threads when an old one is revived. I rarely look at the date on the original post.

Last edited by Milton Keynes; 10-01-20 at 07:23 AM.