Search
Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Tacx smart flow

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-20, 07:48 PM
Seanna5169

Bikes: Giant Defy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tacx smart flow

Hi all,
just purchased a Tacx flow smart trainer. I sometimes get home late and with time change coming probably will be dark and for the occasional fowl weather when I wanna ride. I have Vision kb35 wheels on my Defy. Here’s my question I was scared to change the skewer so I left my vision one in. It seemed to mount fine( now watching YouTube videos I realize changing skewer is easy ). I calibrated the unit on the app the line is dead center of green area. I joined Zwift and proceeded to ride the Watopia introduction. I immediately noticed how the resistance was super hard. My watts were way below normal and showed way below on my Roam. I have a power meter so not using any bogus calculations. Is this normal or can not changing skewer cause this or should I soften wheel tension to lower end of calibration scale.
Thxs so much for help. One last thing I hope I didn’t do any damage to my skewer internally, I only rode for 30 minutes. It didn’t get scratched or anything like that. I will use the one that came with trainer tomorrow but more curious about how hard it was to pedal. Thxs again
Sean
Old 09-30-20, 08:43 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
year before last i started training at an LBS that used ancient CompuTrainers. I was told to use a different skewer because of the plastic ends or else the clamping of teh skewer would break them. whether or not teh yours are plastic or metal i cannot say but i would say to use the metal one, i assume it is all metal that came with the trainer.

also, we always had to recalibrate because when attaching teh bike to teh trainer was always different from the last time and the last rider too so i think you should expect this too. also, we were told to release pressure from the tire when done riding or the heat of the tire and little wheel in contact could cause a flat spot as the little wheel cooled down. seemed to make sense at the time.

that said, i highly doubt the skewer has anything to do with it and likely not internally damaged either, maybe the plastic bits are (in any) but i don't think that would cause what you describe. i did teh zwift intro last year but i do not remember it in detial. i don't recall any big climbs in the beginning. you might want to try using your trainer in erg mode and target a power level you are familiar with, just to get zwift out of the picture.
Old 09-30-20, 08:56 PM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
It is very unlikely that the manor in which you mounted your bike to the trainer is making it more difficult to ride or damage the bike in any way. Go into Zwift control panel and see where the trainer difficulty is set, it should be on 50%. Don't know the trainer you have I assume there is some kind of app you can run without using Zwift. I would try that and calibrate it first then re-calibrate it in Zwift. The only calibration I do is in the app not Zwift.

Some parts of Watopia are flat other parts have quite a steep incline. The first time I tried Zwift it put me on the Epic KOM which for a beginner is difficult. I thought I was going to be a Zwift dropout. Try a route in Watopia called Tempus Fugit. This is the flattest route in Zwift.
Likes For Thomas15: