Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Eclipse P20 vs Eclipse X22 - For Japan 3800 km tour - Where is the price difference?

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Eclipse P20 vs Eclipse X22 - For Japan 3800 km tour - Where is the price difference?

Old 12-21-16, 11:41 AM
Eze

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello guys!
I'll do a trip to Japan. I'll ride 3800 km from south to north. And I'm between the Eclipse P20 and Eclipse X22.

I wanted to know where is the price difference between the Eclipse P20 and the Eclipse X22.

Why it should worth the extra $1000?

Thank you so much!
Old 12-21-16, 03:42 PM
Rick Imby

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It appears the main difference is the little pieces and I would bet the rims on the more expensive one are Carbon---If not they should be. The specs on the ones I saw do not justify the 1k difference. I don't understand both bikes have aluminum forks. Carbon forks ride so much better than aluminum, I don't understand, they are not that much more expensive.

Are you riding with a big group? Are you carrying much gear? When you put 20 pounds of gear (8.5 kilo) you will notice a that the difference between bikes is significantly decreased.

Should be fun.
Old 12-21-16, 03:44 PM
Rick Imby

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I am fonder of 20" wheels for packing and shipping. I'd look closely at the Dahon SL11 which retails for 1399 I think.

Have a great trip no matter what you go with.
Old 12-21-16, 04:52 PM
ThorUSA
Banned

Bikes: to many

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
ultegra drivetrain .... bit better other components.... like Shimano hydros versus tectro ...
for a tour I would go with the less expensive model and use the saved money for nice carrier and bags, bigger fatter tires and lots of money left to treat myself to very good food and a good glas of wine once in a while ...
thor
Old 12-22-16, 02:28 PM
Azreal911

Bikes: Wheeler Mtn bike, Strida 5.0, Tern Link Uno, FSIR Spin 2.0, Dahon Mu P8

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm looking at the differences and that's like $500/lbs of cost. wow. that's at most a 7.5% difference in weight and the higher you go the less of a improvement you are getting (diminishing returns). Like Thor said save the money on some good travel bags to hook up to it and make the trip more enjoyable. I already know both will roll really really well already (kojaks). And there's enough gearing there between the two bikes to easily take on those Mt. Fuji roads if you are passing through them and actually it looks like it'll be easier on the p20 with that bigger lower gear. Some of those roads around that mountain I think are on AVERAGE of 10% so best be prepared! And as Rick mentioned once you are carrying lots of water and clothes and stuff your % of different between the bikes lessens quite a bit. Just adding 20lbs of gear and bags on it and your difference between the bikes becomes a 4% difference in weight now.
Old 12-23-16, 12:02 PM
Nightdiver
On yer bike

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
It looks like that cost difference is spread between a whole lot of part differences between the bikes: drivetrain, brakes, wheels, seatpost/saddle, etc... Maybe a little high, but seems to be about right when comparing other brands when they make the jump from lower end 10spd to mid/high end 11spd.

But still, above advice is sound unless this will be a vehicle-supported type of credit card tour where speed is paramount in which case it's a personal value judgement.
Old 12-23-16, 01:41 PM
Eze

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wooow!! Thank you so, so much guys! Now I everything is so clear!!
I really appreciate your time and comments. I'll go with the Tern Eclipse P20 with out doubts!

Rick Imby san:
I'll go alone and I I'll have just my tent, sleeping bag and clothes. They'll be all my stuff. I'll left my home and I'll go nomad.

ThorUSA san:
I'm totally with you. I'm doesnt drink wine, but I can image others things to do with those $1000 . You really have a point there!!.
You make me re think a lot!

Azreal911 san:
I'll go from Haterumashima to Hokkaido. In the middle I'll surraound the Fuji san. I want to see all the views.
Thank you so much for the data about gear and the combination with the information of the Fuji roads, that is very usefull!
Did you ride in Nihon?

Nightdiver san:
Thank you so much!
Old 12-28-16, 02:51 AM
chesky

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here is the comparison between the 2 bikes: https://www.bikefolded.com/tern-ecli...-folding-bike/
Hope it helps
Likes For chesky:
Old 12-28-16, 06:11 AM
Eze

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you so much Chesky! This was the first thing that I found by Google.
The comments here gave me the data and information to make a good decition.
Thank you so much!
Old 12-28-16, 01:21 PM
downtube

Bikes: Many Downtube Folders :)

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Eze
Wooow!! Thank you so, so much guys! Now I everything is so clear!!
I really appreciate your time and comments. I'll go with the Tern Eclipse P20 with out doubts!

Rick Imby san:
I'll go alone and I I'll have just my tent, sleeping bag and clothes. They'll be all my stuff. I'll left my home and I'll go nomad.
You are doing a loaded tour? A small frame no suspension aluminum frame is not a good choice. I would get a touring bike ( made of steel ) or a mountain bike.

Aluminum is very stiff, small wheels and triangles make it stiffer. Adding weight by doing a loaded tour will make it worse.

Thanks
Yan
Old 12-28-16, 09:18 PM
ThorUSA
Banned

Bikes: to many

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
hmm ? the eclipse I got are all 26 inch wheels, hydraulic disc brakes, Shimano drivetrains, vro adjustable stems.... great for going fast or load up for touring
Old 12-29-16, 09:12 AM
downtube

Bikes: Many Downtube Folders :)

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by ThorUSA
hmm ? the eclipse I got are all 26 inch wheels, hydraulic disc brakes, Shimano drivetrains, vro adjustable stems.... great for going fast or load up for touring
Yes they do have 26" wheels, however they also have aluminum frames with rigid forks and compact frame geometry ( which is very stiff ).

IMHO this is not a touring bike, nor is it suited for touring. A steel touring bike or a suspension mountain bike would be much better.

Thanks,
Yan
Semi-active chess player ( two time Bahamas National Champion )
Sivananda ( Bahamas ) Trained Yoga instructor ( 2013 ) and ThetaHealer since 2013
Bicycle delivery worker for Jimmy John's. Delivering is the best workout I have ever had.
Old 12-29-16, 09:15 AM
Eze

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ThorUSA san, this is good to know! Thank you!
Im trying to find an Eclipse P20 in Japan online, but they are sold out.
It seams that its discontinued or something like that.

Anyways the Eclipse available everywhere is the Eclipse D16.
I was thinking of start with the Eclipse D16
Old 01-09-17, 01:43 AM
RayB

Bikes: Civia Bryant, Tern Eclipse UNO, Brompton

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Eze,

I have a brand new unused Tern Eclipse UNO that you can put any drive train on that you like. I live in Tokyo and just put the bike up for sale on Craigslist here https://tokyo.craigslist.jp/bik/5951478069.html

You could pick it up once you fly over if you were interested. If you decide you'd want a steel full size touring bike I also have one that I am going to sell but it depends on your height as it is a 61 cm frame.

If your interested in the Tern feel free to PM me.

Cheers,
Ray
Old 01-09-17, 10:12 AM
Azreal911

Bikes: Wheeler Mtn bike, Strida 5.0, Tern Link Uno, FSIR Spin 2.0, Dahon Mu P8

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Eze
ThorUSA san, this is good to know! Thank you!
Im trying to find an Eclipse P20 in Japan online, but they are sold out.
It seams that its discontinued or something like that.

Anyways the Eclipse available everywhere is the Eclipse D16.
I was thinking of start with the Eclipse D16
Ok I took a look at it gear range is similar BUT the jumps between gears will be bigger so there's like 4 less gears for the inbetween depending on how you ride though. But there are pretty big differences between the bikes here with alot of lower end parts bolted on. It's kinda of a big difference in weight too not just 1-2lbs we are talking about. 26.9lbs vs 32.6 that's a 5.7lbs diff now you are getting into. pretty much like carrying a HEAVY gaming laptop! or 3 extra LITERS of water! You might have to consider if going the D16 route is worth it considering you wanted a P20 to begin with. Unfortunately I looked that the Tern japan website and all they really carry is the x22 and the D16 as well as the UNO models. p20 isn't really available.....

My suggestion? since looking at your profile seems like you are in Arkansas US. Buy a full sized folding bike here and package it up into a luggage and take it with you. At least you can ride around here for a good 100-200 km's before you bring it there and if there are any problems you would have them fixed already. Going to buy a new bike brand new right from the store and hope nothing comes loose during a 3800km tour, also it's quite a hassle finding a good bike in a foreign place. since you actually have a pretty good budget I was thinking of buying it here and ride around ahead of time to make sure everything is ok.

you can buy the P20 here:

https://www.nycewheels.com/tern-foldi...verge-p20.html (PLUS SHIPPING) not sure about stock levels.

or here:

https://thorusa.com/tern/eclipsep20.htm (shipping included) good to go.

ALSO an alternative brand for the similar price you have would be this:

https://www.montaguebikes.com/product/fit/

all three should be able to fold it into a big luggage. but someone correct me if it can't because I don't own big wheel folders.

hope this can help and not add more headaches ahhahah

Last edited by Azreal911; 01-09-17 at 10:15 AM.
Old 09-02-20, 11:33 AM
FoldingSpace

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts
Necrobumping this thread, because it applies so well to my situation - apologies if that's bad form here, I'm brand new.

I've put a couple of hundred miles on my P20 - full disclosure I never rode the X22 to compare - but have used both sets of components on different bikes - and the x22 would have been cooler but not enough to justify the extra cost for me - although as a value proposition it was perfectly rational. The components were appropriately premium - however, the P20 has been fantastic so far - and I'd be perfectly happy to take it on a grand tour. In terms of wear and tear on my body, and ability to add equipment, it's basically been a draw between the Tern and my "main" Cannondale Quick 2 Carbon.

I'd like to buy spare wheels to install knobby tires on for a quick swap (Kinetix 26 inch that I think are custom for that bike, or at least hard to google) - but can't get a reply from customer service on that question (and a q about a compatible airline bag) but in this crazy bike shortage, I'm not surprised - customer service WAS great in Jan and feb. Then Covid happened I guess.

I'm adding a pair of Wellgo removable dual platform pedals (found 'em on AliExpress for peanuts!) because I will get more efficiency out of SPDs, but have the option of sneakers and ability to loan it out -- and I'd like to source a L/R spare set of Wellgo quick release adapters so I can use them on my Cannondale too - but again weirdly hard to find.

Assuming this bike ages well - and doesn't encounter any welding or manufacturing defects - it's probably the best all-round bike I've ever owned, although my needs - including geometry and riding position - are a bit unusual - I want a bike for international and domestic travel - that doesn't feel compromised by wheel size - and with an upright position (I use stem riser on my regular bikes but the Eclipse bars adjust super high so no need for new hardware!) and more and more I've been picking this one from the garage over the Cannondale, simply because it's easier to live with and one less step to leave the house with (cleats!) but rides as quickly and smoothly.

I'm taking it to Hawaii this year and Tokyo next (Covid permitting, if I find a bag or case it fits and if I find spare wheels!) and expect to put about two or three hundred miles on over a week - I pack pretty light, but it takes a bottle cage and racks perfectly well. It may not be a traditional tourer, but I think it has the potential.
Likes For FoldingSpace:
Old 01-22-24, 08:53 PM
lvisco714

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by FoldingSpace
Necrobumping this thread, because it applies so well to my situation - apologies if that's bad form here, I'm brand new.

I've put a couple of hundred miles on my P20 - full disclosure I never rode the X22 to compare - but have used both sets of components on different bikes - and the x22 would have been cooler but not enough to justify the extra cost for me - although as a value proposition it was perfectly rational. The components were appropriately premium - however, the P20 has been fantastic so far - and I'd be perfectly happy to take it on a grand tour. In terms of wear and tear on my body, and ability to add equipment, it's basically been a draw between the Tern and my "main" Cannondale Quick 2 Carbon.

I'd like to buy spare wheels to install knobby tires on for a quick swap (Kinetix 26 inch that I think are custom for that bike, or at least hard to google) - but can't get a reply from customer service on that question (and a q about a compatible airline bag) but in this crazy bike shortage, I'm not surprised - customer service WAS great in Jan and feb. Then Covid happened I guess.

I'm adding a pair of Wellgo removable dual platform pedals (found 'em on AliExpress for peanuts!) because I will get more efficiency out of SPDs, but have the option of sneakers and ability to loan it out -- and I'd like to source a L/R spare set of Wellgo quick release adapters so I can use them on my Cannondale too - but again weirdly hard to find.

Assuming this bike ages well - and doesn't encounter any welding or manufacturing defects - it's probably the best all-round bike I've ever owned, although my needs - including geometry and riding position - are a bit unusual - I want a bike for international and domestic travel - that doesn't feel compromised by wheel size - and with an upright position (I use stem riser on my regular bikes but the Eclipse bars adjust super high so no need for new hardware!) and more and more I've been picking this one from the garage over the Cannondale, simply because it's easier to live with and one less step to leave the house with (cleats!) but rides as quickly and smoothly.

I'm taking it to Hawaii this year and Tokyo next (Covid permitting, if I find a bag or case it fits and if I find spare wheels!) and expect to put about two or three hundred miles on over a week - I pack pretty light, but it takes a bottle cage and racks perfectly well. It may not be a traditional tourer, but I think it has the potential.
Hi. I saw a video claiming that the P20 has quick release on the front wheel but don't see it in the specs. Is the front wheel quick release? Thank you.
Old 01-22-24, 11:44 PM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 689 Post(s)
Liked 388 Times in 309 Posts
Originally Posted by lvisco714
Hi. I saw a video claiming that the P20 has quick release on the front wheel but don't see it in the specs. Is the front wheel quick release? Thank you.
I looked online for the P20, sure looks quick release to me:

I sure wish someone would make a 20" wheel folder that has wide gearing right out of the box. I converted my Dahon Speed to a double crank. Even with 20" wheels, it will be a challenge to pack under the airline linear size limit of 62" total. With 24" or 26" wheels, I think it may be impossible. However, many airlines now allow bikes with no oversize fee, but increasingly, the airlines are charging for all checked bags. A known exception is Southwest, free checked, provided it meets size limits.
Old 01-23-24, 01:29 AM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 211 Posts
The Birdy Rohloff has a wide gearing right out the box (from about 1.6m to more than 8m with the factory 52t chainring) and 50x355 wheels almost as big as 20" with narrow tires (like the narrow tires of the above pictured bike). Wider tires are always a benefit for traveling.

After removal of the seatpost+saddle (no tools needed to do that), the Birdy pack really small.